Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Covered outside boat storage for winter ok?

sunvalleylaw

I have a covered car bay (carport type roof, angled down from the side of the garage) attached to my garage, where I could put my boat for winter. Was not a problem with my outboard, but concerned about my Malibu due to inboard motor, which of course will be properly winterized. I could put a space heater inside under the cover. Thoughts or advice? It occasionally gets to single digit temps in December and January around here. Then typically will be around freezing for most of the winter during the day, and lower at night.

Will getting a small ceramic heater help? or that and a trouble light for the heater core area?

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Definitely don't get a ceramic type heater unless you are trying to start a fire.  Proper winterization from a dealer that will stand behind it.  If you don't feel comfortable doing it .. don't. 

They make boat safe heaters which are a non-sparking heating element (typically 100 watts or so) that can be placed in the boat if you want a little extra comfort sleeping.

Here's one but again .. you still need to winterize it.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014TMXVA/ref=sxr_rr_xsim1_a_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2286650982&pf_rd_r=KPF721NYJ7H4S75DA81H&pd_rd_wg=qQY8t&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=Cz0rB&pf_rd_i=boat+heater&pd_rd_r=M177STQPM1WXAKW8T6P0&ie=UTF8&qid=1473169677&sr=1

• Like 2

If properly drained/ winterized you should have no problem.  My Sunsetter has been under my car port since last September no issues .   No time for it this season . It does get cold here in the North East. I would take your bottom cushions out .  Also put some fabric softner sheets throughout the boat .  You could also take measurements and order a custom tarp enclosing your car port. 

• Like 1

Ok, thanks.  I may put a trouble light or that heater @pauley71 linked in for these last few weeks prior to pulling the boat for the season, as it will at some point drop below freezing overnight.  But then will get a proper winterizing done. and not put a light or heater in.  As someone on my other ski forum said, just invites critters.  I may also look into some custom hanging tarps for the side of the carport that is open and maybe the ends.  Just to help keep things nice, and any snow from drifting in, though, over the years, not much does.  My old Alfa has lived in there under cover the last couple years with no issues.  But it is getting sold as part of the "toy trading" to get this boat, so the spot is opening up!

This makes me happy as I can then on warmer days do some bottom maintenance I wanted to, and other little odds and ends (such as changing out the prop) prior to next season, and I won't have to pay some potato farmer down in Burley $100 a month to store it in an old potato storage place.  Seriously, that is what the dealer wants for winter storage, and what they use for storage.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • 1 month later...

Pretty much buttoned up.  

755F07E1-4E7E-427B-9903-EF8206009441_zps

EC66D1EE-246F-4B79-88FB-E114B25062F5_zps

8F17AC66-B30C-457E-8B61-7E1069404268_zps

Wood pallets and scrap wood will go away, and old car cover and tarp put away.  "Tube" will get deflated and put up in the dry storage above the garage bays, and bikes will get hung up in the garage when done.  May consider hanging tarp on the sides of the carport from the beams to prevent drifting snow.  Not much usually happens, but as a safeguard.  

Heaters & light bulbs like your talking about are nothing short of a fire hazard. Look for a bilge heater..... Actually designed for the purpose. Xtreme, BoatSafe, & others make such a heater, available on Amazon, EBay or numerous boat shops.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Heaters & light bulbs like your talking about are nothing short of a fire hazard. Look for a bilge heater..... Actually designed for the purpose. Xtreme, BoatSafe, & others make such a heater, available on Amazon, EBay or numerous boat shops.

Thanks. After the replies above, and proper winterization, I am not planning on any heat or lights. If I do end up wanting to use heat prior to winterizing I will keep that firmly in mind.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Someone mentioned it above, but a box of dryer sheets scattered around inside the boat.  I stored mine outside last winter, with no indication of any animals living in there when I uncovered it in the spring.  And it smelled nice :biggrin:.

• Like 1

Yah, ok guys.  Will also do the drier sheets and some damprid.  Just why not.  Also am on a warm day going to put 301 or whatever that stuff is on all the seats/vinyl and was thinking to pull the seats out to put up in our dry attic storage above the garage, though that might not really be necessary, and also prop open the storage hatch and hatch with the gas can for air flow.  Oh, and will tape off/cover the exhaust ports as I think @oldjeep suggested to prevent any mice from climbing up in there.  Glad to have it it here as then I can do a nice polish/wax job, and a couple little cosmetic repairs to be ready for spring.  Most folks around here have their boats stored down in old potato barns down in the Snake River Prairie and similar.  I just like the idea of having mine tucked in right here at home.  

EDIT:  Also, I was thinking about doing a little sewing to stop the rip that is there in the rear, and maybe close it a little, while leaving a "vent"  Thought I would get an old waterproof ski shell I have with a broken zipper, and cut a patch out to reinforce it.  It is apparently a not super expensive cover from Overton's or similar, according to the prior owner, but works well for storage.  I have the original Mailbu black one, but do not want to use ever due to reading here and hearing about problems.  The prior owner never used it either.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
ahopkins22LSV

I do pull my seats out as well. Well the ones that just pull out. 

I've always heard of taping off the exhaust ports and have done it. But is reality how would a mouse get to it. Do you think the can cling to the hull?

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I do pull my seats out as well. Well the ones that just pull out. 

I've always heard of taping off the exhaust ports and have done it. But is reality how would a mouse get to it. Do you think the can cling to the hull?

Agreed, but my supply of tape is like 10 feet away from the exhaust ports now, so would feel really dumb if I didn't do it and had to clean up some sort of mess or repair some damage because I didn't do it.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
Just now, sunvalleylaw said:

Agreed, but my supply of tape is like 10 feet away from the exhaust ports now, so would feel really dumb if I didn't do it and had to clean up some sort of mess or repair some damage because I didn't do it.  

For sure and like I said, I do it too. But I question it every time because I don't see how a mouse could get there especially with the SS STE tips like I have but it's super super cheap insurance. :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Do you guys leave your drain plugs out? I tape my FAE but leave both drain plugs out...open to the air.

Good question.  First winter with this boat, so I don't know what the "right" answer is.  I was planning on leaving them out.  I always left the plug out with my old outboard.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
9 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Leaving plugs in or taking them out for the winter usually depends on how much moisture your boat will be exposed to. If well covered from rain and snow, then there's less risk of this happening if plugs are left in:

Under cover, and if any snow at all, it will be a light dusting on the cover that drifts in from wind during a storm.  But any risk to leaving them out anyway?  Seems to make the most sense to me, and I really can't see anything crawling in there through a drainplug hole.