Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Malibu 23 LSV- Rear ballast

Sonya

Just bought this boat on Friday and surfed through Labor Day weekend. I knew it wouldn't have the wave I'm used to since it didn't come with rear ballast, but a pretty decent pull anyway. Would love some help on where to get the PnP sacks and how to reinforce the trunk. My buddy has the same boat and got sacks through AWS but they bubble out under the seats toward the bow. I don't want to lose that much space or ruin the bags. Ideas? 

I believe Wakemakers will fab up custom bags and they have a divider reinforcement kit that is reasonably priced and works great.  It won't help with the seat bubble but definitely will stop the engine dividers from popping inward when the bag is full.  I would be surprised if they did not have a custom bag available for your LSV which will help with the seat bubbling, they will fit in the locker perfectly when full.  I have them for my 22 VLX and they are great.

https://www.wakemakers.com/engine-divider-panel-saver.html

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2

2016's shouldn't need the reinforcement - mine are thick and don't bow in.  I have the custom bags, they fit great,  you weill need people or a bag in the bow to get the best wave when the rear plug and play is full.  i am also debating installing vent lines, I am tired of opening the rear hatches and plugs to let the air out - a ton of air gets in them when drained, its annoying me.....  

Edited by McMiller
added info

Go with the custom bags.  I just switched from some Sumo 540's to the custom bags and the difference is night & day.  The 23 LSV makes a nasty wave when you weight the boat correctly.

Dave

• Like 2

We bought the bags from Wakemakers on Monday and installed them yesterday. Had eight people on the boat and the wake shaped up nice at 11mph, but definitely need more weight in the front. Thanks for your help guys!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a 17 on order and bought the wakemakers custom bags. I'm wondering if I should just go with the regular sumos? Has anybody used the regular sumo bags? Like the 750s? I know they won't fill all the way. I could save a couple hundred bucks.

2 hours ago, teamerickson said:

I've got a 17 on order and bought the wakemakers custom bags. I'm wondering if I should just go with the regular sumos? Has anybody used the regular sumo bags? Like the 750s? I know they won't fill all the way. I could save a couple hundred bucks.

I have the ronix bags on my '15 and they work just fine. You lose the function of your trash can, but that wasn't an issue for me as we live in the lake. I have the 800s and they work just fine. don't pop the back tubs out and they don't put a lot of strain on the engine dividers

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:01 PM, McMiller said:

2016's shouldn't need the reinforcement - mine are thick and don't bow in.  I have the custom bags, they fit great,  you weill need people or a bag in the bow to get the best wave when the rear plug and play is full.  i am also debating installing vent lines, I am tired of opening the rear hatches and plugs to let the air out - a ton of air gets in them when drained, its annoying me.....  

I just fixed mine this weekend thanks to an idea by @DarkSide

His install is much cleaner than mine, can't seem to find the thread right now. All I did was replaced the air release cap with a 90 degree pvc elbow, threaded into the air release hole, and attached 3' of sump pump hose to the elbows. I zip tied it up high in the locker and it works great. I don't use the lockers for any storage, though. Would not be an ideal set up if you need to use the lockers for storage. I can get pictures this weekend if you would like.

EDIT: found the link for Darkside's set up

Edited by ponderosasurf
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, ponderosasurf said:

I have the ronix bags on my '15 and they work just fine. You lose the function of your trash can, but that wasn't an issue for me as we live in the lake. I have the 800s and they work just fine. don't pop the back tubs out and they don't put a lot of strain on the engine dividers

I just fixed mine this weekend thanks to an idea by @DarkSide

His install is much cleaner than mine, can't seem to find the thread right now. All I did was replaced the air release cap with a 90 degree pvc elbow, threaded into the air release hole, and attached 3' of sump pump hose to the elbows. I zip tied it up high in the locker and it works great. I don't use the lockers for any storage, though. Would not be an ideal set up if you need to use the lockers for storage. I can get pictures this weekend if you would like.

I ran the Ronix bags in my 23LSV as well.  They fit almost perfect in my opinion and the ports were in the right spot.  Good stock setup and way cheaper than WM custom bags.

I think I'm going to go with the wakemakers custom bags. I went and measured the lockers. The front of the lockers where the bag connects is about 11 inches tall for about a foot. I'm sure the regular sumos would be ok but I like the idea of custom fit. 

• Like 1