Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spectra gel color help

isellacuras

I have a black 2012 VLX that I need to touch up a spot of gel. I went to the spectra site and they only list a charcoal under the "black" drop down for 2012. I am pretty sure my black is the same color as previous years like 2011 as I have seen my same color combo on the water and it was a 2011. They list an ebony 05-11(which I have a gut feeling is the color) but there is also an onyx 05-11 and a black iris 08-11. Pretty sure it's not black iris but I'm torn between onyx and ebony. 

Not sure if the link will get you to the right page but here is where I was looking. http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Items.aspx?page=4&&SortBy=CUSTCHAR4_A&SearchVal=&Item=&Cat=__ALLCATS__&Manu=MALIBU&Br=BLACK&Model=&Others=&key=advsearch

Brian, where is blem located?  I touched up a chip in my swim platform this year with the spectrum and it was an exact match for the white.  I would give Malibu a call with your VIN number and they will verify what black you have.

31 minutes ago, Fman said:

Brian, where is blem located?  I touched up a chip in my swim platform this year with the spectrum and it was an exact match for the white.  I would give Malibu a call with your VIN number and they will verify what black you have.

Right where the top screw hole is for the amp board, but on the outside. ?

The Spectrum stuff works pretty good and is a good match, just keep in mind like automobile paint match as the gel ages it might become a little different in color than the new product.  I would bet it will be fine and nobody would ever know it was there.  I do know a great Gel guy if you want to have a professional do it.  His name is Gary at Classic Craft, 8509 Folsom Blvd, 916-383-2150.  He did a great job on my 2013, could not even tell there was a chip there and his prices are very reasonable.  Plus he is a super nice dude.  Just an option for you to consider, he might even sell the product you are looking for.

I think I want to give it a go myself. I am pretty sure I can do it. Just want to make sure I get the right color. If I can't get it right, I will take it to someone and have them re do it. Can't be any harder than filling a fender with bondo, which I have done before.  

8 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I have a black 2012 VLX that I need to touch up a spot of gel. I went to the spectra site and they only list a charcoal under the "black" drop down for 2012. I am pretty sure my black is the same color as previous years like 2011 as I have seen my same color combo on the water and it was a 2011. They list an ebony 05-11(which I have a gut feeling is the color) but there is also an onyx 05-11 and a black iris 08-11. Pretty sure it's not black iris but I'm torn between onyx and ebony. 

Not sure if the link will get you to the right page but here is where I was looking. http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Items.aspx?page=4&&SortBy=CUSTCHAR4_A&SearchVal=&Item=&Cat=__ALLCATS__&Manu=MALIBU&Br=BLACK&Model=&Others=&key=advsearch

Talk to your dealer with your HIN and they can tell you what the color name is.  In the case of my 2012 VTX the black is Ebony according to the build sheet.

It is not too difficult to do, if you hit you tube there are some pretty good videos explaining how to do it.  One item to give extra attention to is the prep, use acetone to remove any contaminents on the surface.  Also when you mix the hardener make sure and follow the directions.  Like anything, prep work is the most important part.