Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

That time of year again - an oil thread ;)

Been getting my winterization stuff ordered and it seems like Pennzoil 15w40 Marine has suddenly become difficult to find.  I've seen a lot of threads about people using Rotella 15w40, but honestly I'm a bit concerned for my catalytic convertors given the warning that I'm seeing on many sites about the oil.  Seems to indicate that using it in a 2011 or newer engine/cat would not be a good idea.  As I plan to keep this boat for a very long time, long term cat damage is a concern.

"The oil carries both the American Petroleum Institute (API) diesel "C" rating as well as the API gasoline engine "S" rating. Ratings differ based on the oil. Rotella oils like T3 15w-40 meets both the API CJ-4 and SM specifications, and may be used in both gasoline and diesel engines. However, it is formulated specifically for vehicles without catalytic converters, containing phosphorus levels beyond the 600-800ppm range.[1] Therefore, Rotella is not recommended for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters due to the higher risk of damaging these emission controls.[2] Newer formulations of Rotella T6 however are API SM rated as safe for pre-2011 gasoline vehicles."

That's the first I have heard of the cat warning. I have 6 qts sitting waiting to be used, guess I better read a little more before I change it out! At least I have been using a good filter. NAPA switched the numbers on the longer 1069 to 1060 recently for what ever reason. Thanks for the update.

I have liked Rotella in both my diesel VW and in my wife's Suby turbo outback.  Was not aware of an issue. (that suby got rolled last spring so no longer an issue.) But I see some mention online now if you google, for catalytic converters.  I also see you can find the Pennzoil marine 15w40 for order too.  I have not usually been a huge Pennzoil fan in the past for my cars, and the 2 cycle oil always seemed smokier than some better stuff, but if it is what is recommended for my Monsoon, I am willing to use it.  

Will end up doing my first oil change with this first winterization coming up.  So, will be watching the thread.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Just had a second look at my recently purchased 15-40W Rotella T and isn't showing a T3 or T6 designation on the jug. I want to say I have seen one of those designations in the past BICBW. Any way the new jug states where the oil maker had tested the oil that I bought against their "T3" oil and it showed a reduction in iron wear... So I am assuming it is the T6 and not the T3. It also goes on to state that is safe for emissions controls so another reassurance as it were. I have been very happy with the oil, but I do change my oil religiously. At 680 hours and still doing great.

Edited by wdr
3 hours ago, wdr said:

Just had a second look at my recently purchased 15-40W Rotella T and isn't showing a T3 or T6 designation on the jug. I want to say I have seen one of those designations in the past BICBW. Any way the new jug states where the oil maker had tested the oil that I bought against their "T3" oil and it showed a reduction in iron wear... So I am assuming it is the T6 and not the T3. It also goes on to state that is safe for emissions controls so another reassurance as it were. I have been very happy with the oil, but I do change my oil religiously. At 680 hours and still doing great.

If it is the same stuff I was looking at then it is T4 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B16NP8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did wind up just placing a backorder order for a case of the Pennzoil, don't really need it for 2 more months so hopefully it gets here by then.

If you are burning oil in any cat vehicle you are not doing good for the cats. I don't have cats in the boat but been using Rotella from the first oil change.  When we were running our drag cars we ran Pennzoil until we ended up with a oil sponsorship. Not Pennzoil, and all I will say is we got better performance with Pennzoil than our Spencer's oil. With that said I have yet to see a engine failure due to the oil from any of the big oil company's.

• Like 1