Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Powell

mrothwell

Well that's 6 :)

For a trip like that, I'd definetly hook up the Bu and head out there.

I can't believe its only a 24 hr drive for you, its 15 from Cali and thats only three States away.

we spent a week out of Hal's Crossing Marina the 3rd week in July. The temp on the water reached 112 and the water was 90. It was our best trip to Powell ever, and we usually go 2x/year. We pull from Denver, so it is about 7-8hours for us, very doable. We have done the houseboat and also the marina lodging, they both have pros/cons. I think Powell could very well be the best place on earth. I'd post pics if I knew how.

I can't believe its only a 24 hr drive for you, its 15 from Cali and thats only three States away.

Well I once drove from L.A. to Washington DC in a Uhaul, in November, with no heater in the truck. Oh and it was goverened at 60mph. Worst trip ever. But we did that in 32 hours. And we went right through Flagstaff on the way.

Looks beautiful. Was the water chilly or is it pretty warm this time of year?

Air temp was between 100 and 110 every day.

Water temp, according to the Response, was 86-88 - almost too warm and not refreshing.

What was that big blue thing behind your boat in the canyon shot??? :unsure:

Must have been something on the camera lense. Crazy.gif

Man I miss Powell Cry.gif We use to go 2 times a year when I lived in AZ. Been back in CA now for 5 years and no mas. Mad.gif

Nice shots BTW :)

This was my 5th trip - 3 from LA area, 1 from Sacto area, this one from Boise - took about 10 hours.

I have a bunch of shots, that's just what I had time for yesterday before bugging out of town again.

I'm Jealous MR. We missed our trip this year - opted out. As far as I know we're invited to go again next year - and the CFO has already said yes.

BTW - Stew, you're a woose. We've made the pull twice in the last 3 years. 17 hours baby - that's why we didn't go this year. :(

Trinity here we come! You guys are killing me, I still have over a week to go before I'm off work.

When you going next year Andy? Looks like we will be there the week of July 24th again.

we spent a week out of Hal's Crossing Marina the 3rd week in July. The temp on the water reached 112 and the water was 90. It was our best trip to Powell ever, and we usually go 2x/year. We pull from Denver, so it is about 7-8hours for us, very doable. We have done the houseboat and also the marina lodging, they both have pros/cons. I think Powell could very well be the best place on earth. I'd post pics if I knew how.

We launched at Bullfrog, but the HB was bouyed at Hall's, just across the bay.

I and my wife both think that it is the best place on earth.

I'll add some more pix later if anyone is interested.

Looks beautiful. Was the water chilly or is it pretty warm this time of year?

Air temp was between 100 and 110 every day.

Water temp, according to the Response, was 86-88 - almost too warm and not refreshing.

What was that big blue thing behind your boat in the canyon shot??? :unsure:

Must have been something on the camera lense. Crazy.gif

Man I miss Powell Cry.gif We use to go 2 times a year when I lived in AZ. Been back in CA now for 5 years and no mas. Mad.gif

Doin' a week for the 6th year in a row on the 11-19. My son is there with a "teen group" this week. Out of north LA county takes about an 8 hour pull. Incredible scenery, adequate water, lots of R&R!!! Spent all 7 days up at the end of Last Chance with some neighbors that had a course set up. Pulled through the course until I had blisters and had 24/7 glass!!!!! Powell has it all!!!!

Nice shots BTW :)

This was my 5th trip - 3 from LA area, 1 from Sacto area, this one from Boise - took about 10 hours.

I have a bunch of shots, that's just what I had time for yesterday before bugging out of town again.

I'm Jealous MR. We missed our trip this year - opted out. As far as I know we're invited to go again next year - and the CFO has already said yes.

BTW - Stew, you're a woose. We've made the pull twice in the last 3 years. 17 hours baby - that's why we didn't go this year. :(

Trinity here we come! You guys are killing me, I still have over a week to go before I'm off work.

When you going next year Andy? Looks like we will be there the week of July 24th again.

We launched at Bullfrog, but the HB was bouyed at Hall's, just across the bay.

I and my wife both think that it is the best place on earth.

I'll add some more pix later if anyone is interested.

A few more lake shots
Thanks for the pics. I have never been there, but going at the end of the month!!!! I can't wait. Is the water always that nice? Hows the water temp?

A few more lake shots

Thanks for the pics. I have never been there, but going at the end of the month!!!! I can't wait. Is the water always that nice? Hows the water temp?

The water temp is always nice. As for how nice the water is. It all depends on where you go. If you spend more time to find a more secluded spot, you'll have nice water. If camp in an area where there's a lot of other houseboats, you're not going to have as nice of water. Having said that, there's plenty of nice water on the lake to find.

Also, if you've never been there. One thing I'd advise. If you find a place that you're going to ski a lot. Go drive around it and look for shallow areas. Nothing will ruin a trip quicker than snagging a rock that sticks up out of nowhere. (Luckily we had two boats last trip) but with a DD.... it ends that boat for the trip real quickly.

Talk to me when you've been there approx 15 times :) Our pull use to be about 5.5 hrs from Havasu. Yes, we left Havasu to go to Powell. :)

We've talked about doing a trip recently, heck even tried to rally a group for a crewmember that had to cancel a HB there. Just haven't been able to make it happen.

So far I've got you all beat! Probably 40 trips so far, and that doesnt count the summer that I lived in Bullfrog Yahoo.gif

My favorite 7-2006 Lake Powell Shot (13 year old daughter learning to Wakeboard)

2006powellfav.jpg

My least favorite

2006powell.jpg

Edited by Wingnut

A few more lake shots

Whats your dates and where are you going out of? We get our houseboat on the 25 th. I cant wait.