Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Well it was just a matter of time......

Wakesetter67

Well so I have been up and down the Willamette river now since I have been 18 for years in my dads Beach craft and then 5 other boats that I have own for 32 Years and never once hit a rock , dinged a prop etc, It was bound to happen, Submerged Log vs Power wedge II ......Log won! So it tweek my wedge quite a bit, I went under water and it all looked great, went back to Surfing and really did not notice any performance change, But when we put it on the trailer, This is what I find, So mechanically it seems fine, No Bracket damage, and no Gelcoat damage, I would assume they are made out of Stainless steel? So can it be bent back to original form Or do I just order a replacement wedge, Which brings me to the question, Has anyone replaced the power wedge foil and what am I looking at for cost??? My guess is 800.00 IMG_9237_zpsjej5z7jp.jpg

A machine shop might be able to get it back to square? The labor cost might not be too bad if they can straighten it w/o cutting and rewelding. I would get a solid price on a new wedge and then shop a machine shop. Replacing the wedge is a 2 wrench job, the most critical part is making sure that the threaded pivot bolts are installed correctly (if your '15s actual wedge is still built the same as my '10). On my 10 the wedge won't fully deploy or stow if incorrectly assembled because it will bind if it runs out of threads. Kind of a goofy set up, but I guess Malibu had their reasons when they built it. I am not sure on the price for a wedge, but that is what a new rudder will run you! Check with Bakes, they can probably help you out. 

• Like 1

If it were me I would turn it into your insurance and get a completely new wedge, no shortcuts on such an important item under a huge load.  You could have damaged the hydraulic actuator and not even be aware of it. Get it fixed right with a new wedge.  This is why we have insurance.

Just my .02....

Edited by Fman

The PW2 only has one hydraulic actuator, it is a completely different design from the older style power wedge.  My guess without seeing closer pictures that something is pretty tweaked out and bent.

It's defiantly Tweaked, You can run your hand on the surface and feel a pretty good bend where it struck the object, I will have AWS look at it, And Look up my ins policy to see what my deductible is, Sad thing about Ins, My wife just backed into my 2015 F150. In my 37 years of driving, I have never had to submit an Ins claim, I have been hit by others as it was their fault but not me, So I wonder what kind of neighbor State Farm is going to be after my wife's mishap, mine was 4800.00 and hers was 3600.00 and a month later a Boat claim.... I'm sure they will be there with a big fat premium Increase or Cancelation letter! ..LOL IMG_9237_zpsjej5z7jp.jpg

• Like 2

I'd say  you are pretty lucky you didn't hit any of the running gear and just hit the wedge.

i +1 the insurance claim unless your deductible is high. Take it to dealer and have them take care of it.

anyone else see the potential #gamechanger from a lateral articulating wedge. You may have something here Vince 

12 minutes ago, Wakesetter67 said:

I So I wonder what kind of neighbor State Farm is going to be after my wife's mishap, mine was 4800.00 and hers was 3600.00 and a month later a Boat claim.... I'm sure they will be there with a big fat premium Increase or Cancelation letter! ..LOL 

Send a new pair of khakis with your claim, Jake will take care of you.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Well so I have been up and down the Willamette river now since I have been 18 for years in my dads Beach craft and then 5 other boats that I have own for 32 Years and never once hit a rock , dinged a prop etc, It was bound to happen, Submerged Log vs Power wedge II ......Log won! So it tweek my wedge quite a bit, I went under water and it all looked great, went back to Surfing and really did not notice any performance change, But when we put it on the trailer, This is what I find, So mechanically it seems fine, No Bracket damage, and no Gelcoat damage, I would assume they are made out of Stainless steel? So can it be bent back to original form Or do I just order a replacement wedge, Which brings me to the question, Has anyone replaced the power wedge foil and what am I looking at for cost??? My guess is 800.00 IMG_9237_zpsjej5z7jp.jpg

That is the price of running the Willamette.  I've never hit a deadhead....yet, but I've dinged props on debris a few times. It has been quite a few years though. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

• Like 1

Vince, you must be living right because I don't know how you did not damage your prop, rudder, drive shaft or strut.  They sit lower than the wedge when deployed.  I would definitely crawl under the boat with a flashlight to make sure you do not see damage in those areas.  Your probably good if you did not notice any vibrations after this happened, that is usually a sign something has been damaged.

• Like 2

Took it over to a buddy's today,  He took off the foil and we went over everything and not a ding, or even scratches on anything, It's like something from below just reached up and grabbed it....Kinda spooky! He's going to see if it can be straighten, But I will make a few calls and get a price for a new one, Any one want to guess what the price for that bad boy might be?? I'm guessing over a grand for just the part!  

Great News, My Buddy Bawshogg ordred me a new Foil from Bakes for under 1000.00 and he will put it together next week! Thankfully I dont need the entire assambely, That was over 2500.00 Thanks bakes!! 

• 4 weeks later...

Well Finally after almost a month, Looks like the housing is tweaked a bit and both of the threaded holes where the bolts that attach the foil are striped, We tried to fix it and it worked for about an hour then the sensor bolt slipped a bit throwing off the wedge setting, My dealer said it seems the ones that hit something hard enough to bend that foil that much never seem to work right, So I ordered a new wedge Assembly, for about 2900.00 Installed, Now I know it will be right! I use that wedge way to much to have issues later down the line! If any one need an actuator motor I have one for sale!! 

21 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Well Finally after almost a month, Looks like the housing is tweaked a bit and both of the threaded holes where the bolts that attach the foil are striped, We tried to fix it and it worked for about an hour then the sensor bolt slipped a bit throwing off the wedge setting, My dealer said it seems the ones that hit something hard enough to bend that foil that much never seem to work right, So I ordered a new wedge Assembly, for about 2900.00 Installed, Now I know it will be right! I use that wedge way to much to have issues later down the line! If any one need an actuator motor I have one for sale!! 

Ouch!  I guess you weren't as lucky as you thought at first!

1 hour ago, Malibuzer said:

Ouch!  I guess you weren't as lucky as you thought at first!

No I was hoping to get by with just the foil, I'm sure we could have fixed the housing, But I don't feel a helicoil would be the best option to fix the striped threads, I would rather start over and do it right, Probably could have reused the actuator motor but whats another 800.00 now it's all new!

Edited by Wakesetter67