Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Response Hull Failure??

BoatFlyRide

This summer I noticed a spot in find floor of my boat that seemed to be "low". Approximately where someone would put their feet if they were sitting in the observers seat. It had been bugging me so I did some investigation under the boat and found what appears to be a crack under the gel coat. Parts of the boat were re-gel-ed last fall after an encounter with a tree floating just under the surface. At the time there was no obvious damage to the hull other than some small cracks around the mounting points for the damaged under water gear. Other areas were re-geled to repair areas were the gel had been worn away. The crack is just forward of the low spot in the floor approximately under the observers seat. I'm not sure if there is a low spot or if a narrow band of the floor roughly inline with the ski pylon running perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the boat is flexing up. Has anyone heard or seen of this happening before?

http://imgur.com/uZOv8vP
http://imgur.com/nBo8z08
http://imgur.com/Go3NJvn

Edited by BoatFlyRide

@BoatFlyRide:  Soft floors along the port and starboard gunnels where you describe a softness is not uncommon for a Response or SV23 hull.  Malibu used both fiberglass and a honeycomb aluminum for floor materials and it appears both had similar issues.  The lifetime hull warranty would cover the floor repair, a friends '97 RLX had that process done under warranty.  IIRC it had to do with some air pockets in the underfloor foam.  Not saying the damage may be a contributor, just passing on an issue that plagued some RLX boats. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I boroscoped under the floor and inside the stringer and didn't see any obvious signs of damage. Once I got the boat out into the sunlight Im starting to think its a blend line from the gel repair this past fall. Im going to continue to use the boat and see what happens. Been a rough year for the boat with the move this year. Thanks for the input @Woodski, you always help put the mind at ease.

@BoatFlyRide:  On your concern on hull structure and potential issues, I would periodically weigh the boat in a given condition (stuff on board, fuel level) and simply track that to see if it changes over time.  If it does, assuming getting heavier, then you can assume it is holding some water.  A couple of times doing that and you will have a good sense of any issues.  I go use a scale at a local landscape supply business and they are kind enough to let me weigh my rig, and use the same scale as they are not always equal.  Another option is to measure the height of platform, bow hook or rub rail off water to check for consistency and any listing issues, another way to see if things are changing.