Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

System noise

NCSurfing

Got my new system dialed in....inboats (running from SD6) sound crisp with no noise at all however, I have 2 pair of Rev8's each running off an SD2 and they emit a rather noticeable hissing noise when I have their volume down on the EQ. Main volume via sport knob is at 32/40 and while the hissing comes down as I drop the volume, it's still noticeable. I used WS shielded RCAs however, if this was the issue I would expect the same from the inboats. I do have the gain on the SD2s slightly higher (2/3 vs 1/2)....would that be it? 

Edited by NCSurfing

The tower speakers have compression horn tweeters that are highly sensitive so they will ruthlessly reproduce everything, including hiss. You are always going to have some limited hiss from the tower HLCDs at very close range at very low levels before the music is able to mask the noise. But you definitely can improve it.

The amplifier input gains are not volume controls, so setting the input less sensitive will not necessarily reduce the ultimate power that is delivered to the speakers if all else is tuned correctly. 2/3rds gain sounds high, especially when running at a 2-ohm load which generally requires a little less input voltage to reach full power. The ideal scenario is to have high gain early in the signal path and maintain a constantly high gain level throughout the signal path so that the final gain stage is not set too high and therefore multiplying all electronic noise generated before it.