Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 24mxz demo report

Capdoogie

Demoed a brand new 17' 24mxz last week. And I'm comparing it to my 15' 23lsv with fully loaded and fully slammed ballast for surfing.   im not going to bore you with exterior interior details. But, I did hate the windshield mount mirror. Compared to my tower mount mirror.  It's in the way of your forward view, who designs this stuff.  So, out back wake wise.  My dealer did not bring any excess ballast, so this is on just stock tanks.  We filled front, center and rear tanks 100%, wedge I think was two clicks down.  Goofy wave was crisp and smooth and height wise was not to bad for no xtra ballast.  Regular side was a little low.  Not a lot of push for surf style riders with comp boards.  I tried every wedge combo and it was a struggle to keep in the pocket.  But, it seemed visually a tad steeper.  Now on my skim, wave was pretty ok stock, nothing to write home about, but this is from a spoiled ninja wake surfer.  I will try this boat again slammed.   Now compared to my LSV stock vs stock ballast the 24mxz wakesurf wave is better.  So one would believe slammed this boat has great potential?  Like Darkside I think once said " it's tough to sell boats when your dealer shows up without xtra ballast to potential buyers that are ballast pros! ".  This 24mxz had the supercharge motor. I loved the linear power feel of the new trani and 17" prop.  Hopefully soon I will redemo this boat fully slammed. So far so good. 

Yeah! I hear ya.   Why doesn't any boat manufacture have all the lockers that are now storage or mostly all, have fillable hard tanks with only the supercharged motor to pull it.  These boats should have 4000 plus lbs of stock hard tanks.  This is not two years ago.  Everyone surfs now!   

And don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. G23 MC CENTURION. if you want a great wave you have to use xtra ballast. Period!

15 minutes ago, wakebrdr94 said:

I was on the M235 on Monday with no PNP and and the wake and wave were sick.  No extra ballast needed.   Just my opinion

Yea I know.  That's kinda what I was getting at in my post the new boats especially the 24 MXZ and 25 LSV are getting close to what G23 and M235 would cost.  They (M235 and G23) are really the only boats ready to go right out of the box.  I know some will argue, but most people that have them will tell you that.  If I pay 150K there's no way I would be putting anything else at all in the dang boat other than gas!  

Here is the sad reality.  We are the 1%er's of this.  99% of buyers, will buy a boat, use factory 550's no bow weight and think it is the greatest thing ever.  

Most people will pull a tube, maybe wakeboard a little,  and if it creates an awesome wave that they can ride without a rope, they are happy as can be.  Add to that the ability to switch sides and run the boat non listed, sheeesh who could ask for more.....

Most people simply do not know enough or care enough to find the limits.  It works and is good enough.

Example I spent a bit of time in new 23LSV,  small PNP, minimal bow weight,  and here was wave...  we all know a LSV CAN BE STELLAR!  However it is all in the setup.

20160902_175334_zpsxkcwp4cw.jpg

Most people would be very satisfied.  You never miss what you have not had.  The problem is for the 1% it is a significant step backwards from normal like this.

20160707_073603_zpsg61zrl3s.jpg

So for those who are used to longer, taller, steeper, more defined waves.  The out of the box version while surfable, and fun.  It is tough to justify ponying up the checkbook and HOPING it gets better with weight.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 3

And at wakesurf nats the G23 had at least a 400 to 650 lb sumo sac up front and who knows in the rear I didn't ask. So don't let anyone say the G23 is just ready to go!

• Like 3

I've been in the 24 MXZ as well, we had 600s in the boat and about 7 people and I was blown away with the wake and wave.  Thing performed with and and without the wedge at wakeboard speeds, was one of the biggest waves I've ever seen, the guys that rode were all more than satisfied.  It was definitely a bigger wave than my buddies loaded LSV.

I'm not discounting your demo by any means, but it is interesting the differences in opinions and perceptions we have.   

1 hour ago, wakesonthesnake said:

One of the reasons they do not have all of the stock ballast potential has to have some to do with the Coast Guard plaque.  Would you want to have a 25 foot boat with a Coast Guard rating of 5 people because all payload is taken up by potential ballast.  The pnp gives options, as Darkside mentioned, most will not fulfill that potential.  That is not a bad thing given less experienced boaters should not be doing what some of us do.  However, everyone at some point will probably have twelve people out on a cruise and will be glad their boat is rated for it. 

Okay, so how many peeps is the G23 rated to hold?  It has close to 3k in factory ballast. 

1 hour ago, wakesonthesnake said:

One of the reasons they do not have all of the stock ballast potential has to have some to do with the Coast Guard plaque.  Would you want to have a 25 foot boat with a Coast Guard rating of 5 people because all payload is taken up by potential ballast.  The pnp gives options, as Darkside mentioned, most will not fulfill that potential.  That is not a bad thing given less experienced boaters should not be doing what some of us do.  However, everyone at some point will probably have twelve people out on a cruise and will be glad their boat is rated for it. 

Not sure I buy the whole plaque thing.  You can get the new 21' Centurion with over 5k of factory ballast.  Not "simulated" wedge but real ballast.  They still have plenty of capacity for people

9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Okay, so how many peeps is the G23 rated to hold?  It has close to 3k in factory ballast. 

G23 = 16 PAX or 2500 LBS

17 24 MXZ = 18 PAX or 2538 LBS

Edited by KentC
23 minutes ago, IXFE said:

There is a difference in hull size in the G23 and M235.  I am sure this not only adds to the capacity but to the price differences that some are mentioning here compared to the LSVs.  I do agree though the plaques seem to be figured with some wizardry.

One of the boat companies should build a waksurf only boat. Full of factory tanks no xtra PNP BULL.   They all build slalom tournament specific boats.  Wakesurfing is getting huge, it time for a wakesurf tournament model!    Plaque should read 16 people or 5000#  you decide. With the 575 supercharged motor to pull this bad boy.   Just dreamn....

Edited by Capdoogie
ahopkins22LSV
18 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

I don't think that's true. The stock ballast on most boats is more then the weight rating on the plate.

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

I don't think that's true. The stock ballast on most boats is more then the weight rating on the plate.

They figure it with stock ballast full and then what else it will carry after that.  It is about the potential total.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Here is the sad reality.  We are the 1%er's of this.  99% of buyers, will buy a boat, use factory 550's no bow weight and think it is the greatest thing ever.  

Most people will pull a tube, maybe wakeboard a little,  and if it creates an awesome wave that they can ride without a rope, they are happy as can be.  Add to that the ability to switch sides and run the boat non listed, sheeesh who could ask for more.....

Most people simply do not know enough or care enough to find the limits.  It works and is good enough.

Example I spent a bit of time in new 23LSV,  small PNP, minimal bow weight,  and here was wave...  we all know a LSV CAN BE STELLAR!  However it is all in the setup.

20160902_175334_zpsxkcwp4cw.jpg

Most people would be very satisfied.  You never miss what you have not had.  The problem is for the 1% it is a significant step backwards from normal like this.

20160707_073603_zpsg61zrl3s.jpg

So for those who are used to longer, taller, steeper, more defined waves.  The out of the box version while surfable, and fun.  It is tough to justify ponying up the checkbook and HOPING it gets better with weight.

True statement, I took a group of Corban University Baseball player's out yesterday, most of these guys have wake surfed before, they freaked out about my  saced out VLX and all of them said they have never rode a wave that big and how much easier it was, and most of these guys live in Ca and surf a lot, 

• Like 1
On September 4, 2016 at 0:37 PM, KentC said:

I just don't get it.  150+K for a boat and we have to figure out how to make the wake better.  I understand we all want to get it a bit better and there's always more to be had, but for this kinda money it should be crazy good already.  Just doesn't make sense.  To me if I drop 150K it should be turn key out of the box!  Just my 2 cents! 

Isn't that what you get with a nauti , friends '13 g23 has only 24-2800?in stock sacs, turn key out the box, though empty of people it will compete quite nicely for surfing with a sac slammed axis( maybe the axis wins on size and visual of the wave) , put a full load of people in that boat and the wave becomes insane and either load and the g wave has no flaws in its structure, the axis wave will have a flaw or two , ex backside riding the axis I can kick the fins over the falls and go over about 5 ft from deck if I'm not paying attention , never happens on the g.

Wakeboarding it probly wins  that contest too, stock off factory floor maybe even  against a super slammed axis and wedge

Edited by granddaddy55
3 hours ago, Capdoogie said:

One of the boat companies should build a waksurf only boat. Full of factory tanks no xtra PNP BULL.   They all build slalom tournament specific boats.  Wakesurfing is getting huge, it time for a wakesurf tournament model!    Plaque should read 16 people or 5000#  you decide. With the 575 supercharged motor to pull this bad boy.   Just dreamn....

It's called a nautique , I can't afford , but after what I know now, if I had the money, I'd buy a minimally loaded nautique with the good Bimini 

i spend 3-8 hours a weekend in one cause my wife considers it far less trouble to buy gas for nauti and just show up with cans than launching our boat , especially if she had to help put up tower when it's not up already , his boat in a lift, by the hooks buy the way not straps, and it's better than ours,  waiting for turns not fun, but once in water you ride till your hearts content for multiple disciplines , load your stuff and just drive home , if I knew Chris before I bought, I would have continued to lease as he goes super regular, 1300 hours

i probsbly would have offered a buy in, for far less money than I spent ,I could have been  half owner on a lift, too cool 

Edited by granddaddy55
On September 4, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Capdoogie said:

Demoed a brand new 17' 24mxz last week. And I'm comparing it to my 15' 23lsv with fully loaded and fully slammed ballast for surfing.   im not going to bore you with exterior interior details. But, I did hate the windshield mount mirror. Compared to my tower mount mirror.  It's in the way of your forward view, who designs this stuff.  So, out back wake wise.  My dealer did not bring any excess ballast, so this is on just stock tanks.  We filled front, center and rear tanks 100%, wedge I think was two clicks down.  Goofy wave was crisp and smooth and height wise was not to bad for no xtra ballast.  Regular side was a little low.  Not a lot of push for surf style riders with comp boards.  I tried every wedge combo and it was a struggle to keep in the pocket.  But, it seemed visually a tad steeper.  Now on my skim, wave was pretty ok stock, nothing to write home about, but this is from a spoiled ninja wake surfer.  I will try this boat again slammed.   Now compared to my LSV stock vs stock ballast the 24mxz wakesurf wave is better.  So one would believe slammed this boat has great potential?  Like Darkside I think once said " it's tough to sell boats when your dealer shows up without xtra ballast to potential buyers that are ballast pros! ".  This 24mxz had the supercharge motor. I loved the linear power feel of the new trani and 17" prop.  Hopefully soon I will redemo this boat fully slammed. So far so good. 

Why would a dealer take someone out for a demo with only the hard tanks and no extra ballast?  THAT makes no sense to me, at least have some PnP 550's in the lockers.....I think your dealer failed on this one.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Capdoogie said:

CENTURION!  Very much surf specific.  They do still have PNP but they offer 5100 pounds of ballast from the factory, in a 21'er.  I have heard the new 24 that is coming may be over 6000 pounds of factory tank!  With vast majority ram fill, so 45 second fill time!

• Like 1
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:37 PM, Capdoogie said:

Well that's good to here, but for almost $200 grand really!

I have seen this posted several times I know that the list price for this boat is 200 + but I paid no where near this. If there selling for this some where I would love to know because I have mine for sale. I had my dealer build me a 24MXZ but for that amount I will stick with the M or the 25. Did not have to add much weight to these two boats.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, DarkSide said:

CENTURION!  Very much surf specific.  They do still have PNP but they offer 5100 pounds of ballast from the factory, in a 21'er.  I have heard the new 24 that is coming may be over 6000 pounds of factory tank!  With vast majority ram fill, so 45 second fill time!

but then you have a centurion...:(  and they definitely do not drive as nice as Malibu's...

Just now, wakebrdr94 said:

but then you have a centurion...:(  and they definitely do not drive as nice as Malibu's...

I am absolutely not disagreeing!  However you are still spending Malibu MONEY!  The new RI237 is definitely 23LSV money, but no where near as nice of a boat though.