Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

86 Skier steering cable replacement

MalibuWin

https://goo.gl/photos/cqig4WmB38dwHz5Y7

Hey guys, 

I own an 86 skier and plan to have the boat a long time. Steering went out last month so I've been researching the issues. I wanted to share what I learned. 

The steering had progressively gotten worse over the last few seasons. It was getting tight and wouldn't turn well to the left. Finally our last trip out it gave out and we were stranded. I've replaced the cable line, rotary steering box behind the wheel and learned some good things to look for when working on the steering.

I would love some other pointers for maintenance things with these older boats so we don't get stranded. I'm a DIY guy. Updating this boat has been fun so far. 

Winston

cqig4WmB38dwHz5Y7

https://goo.gl/photos/q72c3MjA9uNCpDzN6

First thing (after finding the right part online and through some other posts) was disconnect the the cable by turning the wheel completely to the right. This will cause the cable connection to come off from under the rotary box. Once you crank the cable all the way through, attach a rope with some tape to allow the new cable to be pulled through easily. 

Edited by MalibuWin