Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Help with KickA@# Stereo for '03 RLX

Jefferstone

Hey everyone,

I recently bought an '03 Response LX and want to assemble a killer stereo setup.  I have a lot of experience in the super high-end home audio arena but have 0 auto/marine experience.  I am looking to purchase and assemble a rockin' stereo for the best price (looking to buy used if possible).  I have a 12" TC Sounds Epic driver that I will use for the sub but I need a box to put it in.  I am looking for what brands and models to buy as well as the location for mounting everything.  Those of you that have an 03 RLX or similar and did your stereo I would love to see some pics to see how you set everything up.  I am going to use this winter to work on this project - for the searching, purchasing, and assembling. Again, remember I have 0 experience when it comes to this part!

Here's what I was thinking for the main equipment, so please let me know if I am waaay off or a good place to start:

Kicker ZX1500.1 for the sub (I need the most power possible for this driver, if you know these drivers you know what I am talking about)

JL Audio amp (not sure which one) for the 4 in-boat speakers

JL Audio 6 1/2" speakers (not sure which ones)

And then anything else that I would need to assemble the stereo - wire, cables, etc. Please let me know!!!

Thanks, you guys Rock!

Jefferstone,

I am also looking at a stereo upgrade in our 05 response lxi. I will be ordering wetsounds speakers and an amp to replace the tired existing Sony equipment.

I haven't figured out what to go with for head unit, and would like to find something that can use the existing remote location on the transom.

Last week i went by car toys to listen first hand to the different brands of 6.5 . They had a lot of different JL , kicker, wet sound models set up. No polk on display but there was a customers boat in there getting new tower speakers installed that had polk 6.5 so they let me listen to that as well. 

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, Jefferstone said:

Hey everyone,

I recently bought an '03 Response LX and want to assemble a killer stereo setup.  I have a lot of experience in the super high-end home audio arena but have 0 auto/marine experience.  I am looking to purchase and assemble a rockin' stereo for the best price (looking to buy used if possible).  I have a 12" TC Sounds Epic driver that I will use for the sub but I need a box to put it in.  I am looking for what brands and models to buy as well as the location for mounting everything.  Those of you that have an 03 RLX or similar and did your stereo I would love to see some pics to see how you set everything up.  I am going to use this winter to work on this project - for the searching, purchasing, and assembling. Again, remember I have 0 experience when it comes to this part!

Here's what I was thinking for the main equipment, so please let me know if I am waaay off or a good place to start:

Kicker ZX1500.1 for the sub (I need the most power possible for this driver, if you know these drivers you know what I am talking about)

JL Audio amp (not sure which one) for the 4 in-boat speakers

JL Audio 6 1/2" speakers (not sure which ones)

And then anything else that I would need to assemble the stereo - wire, cables, etc. Please let me know!!!

Thanks, you guys Rock!

The JL Audio MX650s would be a great speaker choice. IMO, the most musically accurate 6.5" marine speaker available. At minimum, audition this speaker first hand. There are four grill options available. If one pair are atop the dash then you would want to go with the matte finish charcoal version because this will give you the least image reflection off the windshield.  

Normally with four speakers within the cockpit, you could go with a two-channel amplifier. If two of these speakers are atop the dash, then you would need a four-channel amplifier to gain the dash speakers differently and adjust for the positional advantage. A good choice in a JL Audio amplifier would be the XD400/4 (or M400/4 in the marine version).

Avoid an off-the-shelf automotive subwoofer enclosure. A custom enclosure built to spec will sound the best and last.

Find a quality dealer for your equipment who can walk you through the installation and set-up details.  

Awesome!  You guys rock!  Looks like I'm gonna have a fun winter!!  A few last questions - how do you get the dash speakers out with the windshield there or does the windshield have to come off?

Where is the best place to mount the sub (down by feet under driver seat or storage area under passenger seat)?

Should I go ported or sealed?

What shape/dimensions should I make the box (my neighbor is a cabinet maker so he could build it for me)?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

So I managed to find a great deal on an entire JLA setup with the MX650's (Thanks jalerch) and my question is how to get the dash speakers out/in with the windshield there?  I assume I have to take the windshield off and how hard is it?  It appears you just take the rubber strip off and it's a bunch of screws - will I run into any surprises?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 7:07 AM, Jefferstone said:

So I managed to find a great deal on an entire JLA setup with the MX650's (Thanks jalerch) and my question is how to get the dash speakers out/in with the windshield there?  I assume I have to take the windshield off and how hard is it?  It appears you just take the rubber strip off and it's a bunch of screws - will I run into any surprises?

Thanks

If you haven't already done so, you do not have to take the windshield off.  Get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03044A-Ratcheting-Screwdriver-Close-Quarters/dp/B000XYOUS6/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1476126808&sr=1-1&keywords=right+angle+screw+driver 

Right angle allen wrenches also work if that's the type of screw head. 

If you put newer (deeper) 6.5 inch speakers in the dash you'll also need these spacers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLZ7SAS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have fun with the project.  You'll be garage boating in no time.