Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Consumption

MadMan

Was wondering what others are seeing?  I'm usually around 3 GPH (per hour meter) with a mixture of both wakeboarding and surfing (mostly wakeboarding).  I'm pretty sure it would go up significantly if we did more surfing.

I know many will call BS but over 2 tanks this year I am averaging 3.6 GPH in the G23.  That is about 60% surfing, 20% wakeboarding, 10% cruising/idling, 9% other watersports, 1% WOT runs

I couldn't believe it either when I calculated it

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

I know many will call BS but over 2 tanks this year I am averaging 3.6 GPH in the G23.  That is about 60% surfing, 20% wakeboarding, 10% cruising/idling, 9% other watersports, 1% WOT runs

Please help the totally ignorant - is this good or bad??

5 hours ago, powderski14 said:

I noticed the consumption with the wedge deployed burns a lot more too.

Agreed. I swear when deployed it activates a dump valve in the fuel tank.

7 hours ago, powderski14 said:

I noticed the consumption with the wedge deployed burns a lot more too.

I haven't measured with/without the wedge, but with the wedge deployed it does take a couple more seconds to get to speed.

It's all about RpM management.

north of 3400rpms... You are guzzling fuel.

if you can keep Rpms around 3000 for your sports activities, you'll see much better GPH's.

Maxing prop diameter and prop pitch for your given activities (what you will accept in 0-12mph and 0-23mph performance will lower Rpms.

and making your prop angle as flat as possible for your activities plays a huge role in making your Rpms most efficient pushing the boat forward vs lifting the boat straight up with the bow real high.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, bamaboy said:

That is better than any boat I have ever owned, my 2015 w/409 averages 6-7 GPH depending on altitude, crew size, weight.  My 2013 w/350 was about 5.5-6 gph.  What is your secret?  I ran a prop that gave me about 3250 RPMS surfing, and one that was around 3400 RPMS and I noticed literally no difference in fuel consumption (2315 / OJ 948).

Edited by Fman

If this is calculated simply by fuel at the pump/hours on the meter, perhaps those with excellent gph idle around a lot? I would figure the amount of hours ticking when the boat isn't plowing water would make an enormous difference in this calculation. 

23 hours ago, bamaboy said:

I last measured my consumption while surfing in my 2016 G23 with 6.2 L direct injected motor and I got 7.2 GPH with purely surfing.  A part of that was my 12 year old surfing with no ballast.  Maybe 2700 feet makes a difference compared to near sea level Alabama?  My numbers were with stock ballast only.  And that is consistent with the nearly 100 hours I have on the meter.  

On 9/3/2016 at 3:28 PM, oldjeep said:

I take a look at the fuel gauge when I pull it out of the garage, if it is 1/2 full or less I fill it. Other than that, no attempt to calculate consumption.

That was helpful to this thread.  Thanks. 

• Like 4
On September 3, 2016 at 0:40 PM, bamaboy said:

What year, love my friends 13 and it seems reasonable on fuel until we wakeboard 13 passengers , but 3.6, wow !, as my friend says"PCM baby ", he doesn't have the 2 to 1 ratio snd wants to put it in for power and the fuel efficiency , about $4-5000 upgrade done by himself . Is yours a 15 or 16? if so you have the 2 to 1 so it seems worth it if you are keeping the sled, did you have an older one 1st, or been on one?

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

What year, love my friends 13 and it seems reasonable on fuel until we wakeboard 13 passengers , but 3.6, wow !, as my friend says"PCM baby ", he doesn't have the 2 to 1 ratio snd wants to put it in for power and the fuel efficiency , about $4-5000 upgrade done by himself . Is yours a 15 or 16? if so you have the 2 to 1 so it seems worth it if you are keeping the sled, did you have an older one 1st, or been on one?

This is my first G and it is a 2016.  I'm still not 100% convinced my calculations are correct.  I need a few more samples and given they are lowering my lake early this year, that will probably have to wait until next season.

I can say that with the 17 inch prop, 2:1 tranny and the new DI motors, this beast is remarkably fuel efficient for its size and weight.  I will need to confirm the 3.6 but at worst I would suspect it is 5-6 GPH.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, bamaboy said:

That was helpful to this thread.  Thanks. 

yeah, I suppose. But worrying or bragging about the fuel consumption of your 100k + tidal wave machine is like the guys who talk about the 20 mpg they get out of their corvette.  The $100 worth of fuel I use in an exceptional week is a small part of the TCO.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, oldjeep said:

yeah, I suppose. But worrying or bragging about the fuel consumption of your 100k + tidal wave machine is like the guys who talk about the 20 mpg they get out of their corvette.  The $100 worth of fuel I use in an exceptional week is a small part of the TCO.

20MPG on a Vette isn't all that good.  I've seen some C5/C6 owners hit in the very low 30's.   :)

Fuel consumption, even on these 100k+ machines is important.  Even with the cost of fuel being reasonable, the need to fill up can go from inconvenient to a down right pain in the butt.  I end up doing fuel cans at Costco on my lunch break because my two fueling choices are a 6 minute tow one way to a station that is way overpriced and a pain to pull into or 12 minutes to several other stations...all in the opposite direction I need to go.

Edited by Nitrousbird
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

20MPG on a Vette isn't all that good.  I've seen some C5/C6 owners hit in the very low 30's.   :)

Fuel consumption, even on these 100k+ machines is important.  Even with the cost of fuel being reasonable, the need to fill up can go from inconvenient to a down right pain in the butt.  I end up doing fuel cans at Costco on my lunch break because my two fueling choices are a 6 minute tow one way to a station that is way overpriced and a pain to pull into or 12 minutes to several other stations...all in the opposite direction I need to go.

And what happens,  and I hope never cause I grew up on $.50/gallon premium Amoco white gas, when prices return to its overpriced range , fuel dock ethanol or non will go back to $5+ and then it will be a huge diff cause gas can price will be $4+, how about when it rains and you can't truck the cans to the water and have to carry and the fueling time with cans, less cans less work, I hucked 4 cans in two trips(180lbs)  up and over a levee and to waters edge on a healing broken femur nail, it was sore for a week!

doesn't justify the expense of a new G but as you budget monthly for note insurance snd maintenance it can't hurt

18 hours ago, bamaboy said:

This is my first G and it is a 2016.  I'm still not 100% convinced my calculations are correct.  I need a few more samples and given they are lowering my lake early this year, that will probably have to wait until next season.

I can say that with the 17 inch prop, 2:1 tranny and the new DI motors, this beast is remarkably fuel efficient for its size and weight.  I will need to confirm the 3.6 but at worst I would suspect it is 5-6 GPH.  

Beast is no doubt the correct word, thst hull displacement is the key to wake and wave and they changed slightly the 16 design wave would form more efficiently and better, have you surfed your boat loaded with 10-13.  The surf wave becomes something you can't quite describe

snother forum topic somewhere here talked about ready to rock from factory if you spend that much, the G is ready with stock sacs and that hull displacement!!

the key to a G is non riding human ballast, and the boat is reasonably comfortable even with 10-13

spent 3 glorious days from fri-sun in my axis and still tried to ride friends g Monday, just didn't work out, ride G every weekend , sometimes 2 days plus a day in mine, and that boat and its owner showed me how to drive my boat after 2+ years of having no clue!

Edited by granddaddy55
18 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Visit NO any time and you can ride the entire off season  and have a free place to stay ,  the G crew never stops, shorties then fulls then shorties and jackets by April 1-10, it's still stupid warm here air and water and no corps of eng interruptions