Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How hard do you/can you drive your bu?

Obviously these things are a lot of fun to drive hard. By hard I mean high-speed tight turns, really tight turns. How much abuse is too much? Can you do these high-speed turns all day everyday or should you not ever do them or should you limited them to the few occasions when you are trying to impress your buds? They are just so much fun to do, but I sure don't want to misalign the drive shaft or create jell coat cracks or other things I can't think of.

I don't do real high speed turns where you spin the boat out. We have little kids on board and I wouldn't want them going flying around inside the boat. I think those type of maneuvers are hard on the boat but I don't know if I've ever heard of damage as a result of a high speed turn.

I was wondering how long do any of you leave your boat at full throttle? I usually only do it for short bursts but I've always wondered how long you could go without damaging anything.

K, so on the flip side, how much idling (in gear) is ok for you engine. My wife and I put about 1/2 of our time on the motor just idling arround the lake after work just waiting for the lake to become calm.

K, so on the flip side, how much idling (in gear) is ok for you engine. My wife and I put about 1/2 of our time on the motor just idling arround the lake after work just waiting for the lake to become calm.

As long as you're getting your constant supply of cool lake water, I'd say you could idle around until you run out of gas with no problem.

Being a barefooter, we run our boats pretty much at the WOT the biggest part of the time pulling a footer. My boat will only run in the 45mph range WOT and I foot at 42-43mph most of the time. Even then we usually only make 3-5 minute runs. Anything over 4-5 minutes is a exceptionly long run. Though I have ran at 40 mph for 10 or 15 miles numerous times to beat a storm.

From the day I bought the boat I have ran it this way and it has 500 hours on it now. It has never used any oil or had anything done to it other than normal 50 hour oil changes, fuel filters, and a circulation water pump two year ago.

I did change my fuel pump a couple of weeks ago, but only because the old one was getting noisy and I'd lost some top end speed.

I do not do powerslides. I don't care for stress cracks. Powerslide are extremely hard on the underwater gear and puts a lot of unneccesary stress on the hull.

Edited by Sunset_Bob

thealy, what lake do you live on?

thealy, what lake do you live on?

Orchard.

I've done about a dozen or so power slides, never really thought it would do damage. But I wouldn't do them all day, and I wouldn't do it with ballast in the boat. That fiberglass is pretty strong but probably better to be on the safe side. It sure is damm impressive Surprised.gif When I sold my last boat I did 4 or 5 with the new owner, I think it sealed the deal. :lol:

"Drive it like you stole it". These boats have rev limiters for a reason. A well built ZZ4 in a car can rev to 6500ish RPM. Running a Chevy at 4500-5400 RPMs with as cool as these engines run isn't a problem unless you don't do your regular maintenance. As for power turns and bat turns... Oh yeah!

Joe

"Drive it like you stole it". These boats have rev limiters for a reason. A well built ZZ4 in a car can rev to 6500ish RPM. Running a Chevy at 4500-5400 RPMs with as cool as these engines run isn't a problem unless you don't do your regular maintenance. As for power turns and bat turns... Oh yeah!

Joe

AMEN!

Joe

AMEN!

what he said

Joe

Marine engines are designed to run @ WOT. We've been running this way on outboards, IOs and now a v-drive for 30+ years without a problem. Sometimes we run @ WOT for 30 minutes coming back from dinner on Tahoe.

Joe

Slider, is your avatar what I think it is? ROFL.gif

I only drive mine to the store occasionally, and, Church on Sunday...

Don't want that one. To each his own, but if buying a used boat I'd like to strike a balance between:

#1 The right boat with the right options

#2 Moderate use, excellent care, without too many hours.

#3 Decent condition, LOTS of hours, and an excellent price.

Joe

Me too!!

Joe

Me too!!

Nods.

And it's downhill both ways, right??

How did you know that ??

How did you know that ??

Does your houseboat water taxi ever go above 5 mph?

How did you know that ??

Does your houseboat water taxi ever go above 5 mph?

Its been clocked at 9.8 mph. Surfing.gif

Edited by LS-One