Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ocean surfin

powderski14

For those of you who haved wakesurfed..... Have you tried ocean surfing and if so do you feel it was kind of the same or not....kind of curious to see now that I've surfed the boat for a while how easy it'd be to pick up ocean surfing on summer vacations.... Getting up is different but wondering once your up what's it's like.

Edited by powderski14

I took ocean surf lesson a few weeks ago. Helps to have someone push you into a wave vs trying to do it all yourself paddling. Popping up is easy. It's pretty fun and really addicting. Of course you dont get an endless wave. Planning on Hawaii or Puerto Rico surfing trip this winter. Wakesurf skills will help you out for sure. Every wakesurfer should try ocean surfing.

Not the same at all!  

Wake surfing is like riding a bike with training wheels.  Surfing on a short board is like riding a unicycle.  Surfing on a long board is like riding a beach cruiser.

16 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I have ocean surfed a few times and it isn't even in the same universe as wakesurfing.

You better be darn fit and a solid swimmer to even have chance out there.

Here's a barometer for you: Ever seen a super fat guy ocean surfing? 

:plus1:

Riddle me this.

lay on your stomach in the living room and in a quick motion ( pop up) do a push up and slide you legs under you. If you can do that or pretty close you have a shot. Popping up on the water will be like doing a push up with a ballance ball under to board, you have to distribute the force of the push to account for weight shifting because of the wave

get a rash guard or prepare to have your chest hair ripped off.

get someone to push u into the wave to start. 

• 2 weeks later...

Surfing is hunting. It is about being in the right place at the right time. You have to be able to read the horizon and position yourself to be able to catch the wave. This take experience, timing and generally some paddling strength.

Once you've figured that out, now you need to be able to pop up or at least do the pop to knees and crawl up. Best practiced on the beach and in white wash rollers before trying to make the drop down the face.

As far as fat guys go, there are lots in the line up, they might have big spare tires, but they also have strong backs and shoulders.

As far as actually riding, it is similar, the power points are a little different, but wakesuring is like riding a modestly strong little wave.

Nick

I tried ocean surfing last year on a trip to Cali. I paddled for a half hour and never caught a wave. Got so tired had to take a break. Then tried it again 3 more times. Paddling for a total of 2 hours. Never caught a wave enough to even try to stand up. I wish I knew what ocean surfing was like.

• Like 2
On 9/3/2016 at 9:25 AM, TimbrSS said:

Planning on Hawaii or Puerto Rico surfing trip this winter. Wakesurf skills will help you out for sure. Every wakesurfer should try ocean surfing.

Rincon, Puerto Rico is amazing but doesn't compare to Hawaii.  Unless you're comparing cost and travel time -- then it compares VERY well.

45 minutes ago, JasonK said:

I tried ocean surfing last year on a trip to Cali. I paddled for a half hour and never caught a wave. Got so tired had to take a break. Then tried it again 3 more times. Paddling for a total of 2 hours. Never caught a wave enough to even try to stand up. I wish I knew what ocean surfing was like.

This sums up about a dozen days of me "surfing."  I finally bucked up and took a lesson in Mexico a few years ago and it made all the difference in the world.  I caught my first wave with the help of an instructor to get the timing and help "push" me into the wave.  Popping up seems easy in comparison to the paddling.  I surfed every day that week on an 11' board and could catch a wave pretty easily.  This was in Sayulita which has a sandy beach break that is in ~5' water and very consistent waves.  Once up it's the same mechanics as wakesurfing.

Since then, I've "surfed" 3 more days in Cali and 1 in Puerto Rico and only caught a single, solitary, glorious wave.  Surfing is hard!!

I didn't start surfing or skimboarding until after learning how to wakesurf. 

Both sports are way harder than wakesurfing, but are also totally different. Being good at surfing or skimboarding definitely makes learning how to wakesurf and progression happen way quicker.

But I don't feel that wakesurfing helps with surfing or skimboarding. I'm alright at surfing on a longboard, suck on a short board, and I skimboard a ton but I still suck. 

Im actually trying my luck at a skimboard competition this weekend in Santa Cruz. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself too much. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Surfing is hunting. It is about being in the right place at the right time. You have to be able to read the horizon and position yourself to be able to catch the wave. This take experience, timing and generally some paddling strength.

Once you've figured that out, now you need to be able to pop up or at least do the pop to knees and crawl up. Best practiced on the beach and in white wash rollers before trying to make the drop down the face.

As far as fat guys go, there are lots in the line up, they might have big spare tires, but they also have strong backs and shoulders.

As far as actually riding, it is similar, the power points are a little different, but wakesuring is like riding a modestly strong little wave.

Nick

But most of them have been surfing for decades and they were not fat when they started.  :( 

You're never too fat to learn to wakesurf. (unless you can't get out of a chair w/o assistance)

• Like 2
On 9/16/2016 at 4:31 PM, wakemitch said:

Im actually trying my luck at a skimboard competition this weekend in Santa Cruz. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself too much. 

That's awesome Mitch.

let us know how it goes.  Good luck!

7 hours ago, bamaboy said:

That's awesome Mitch.

let us know how it goes.  Good luck!

I ended up withdrawing from the comp this morning and just free rode all day with my friends. It was more fun that way. I was so stressed about competing. And I'm a quitter haha

It was awesome seeing Austin Keen and the other pros ride in person again though. It's nuts seeing them get barreled on a skimboard. 

Unlike wake riding, surfing in the surf has a learning curve.  Finding good surf is hard too.  The hurricane of '72 ruined the East coast forever.