Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery - 1 or 2 or Both

sandaddiction

I am getting mixed information.  Please assist with the following in relation to a 2016 Malibu.

How should I start and run the boat? 1, 2 or Both? If I am on 1 or 2 only, while running the engine with the alternate battery charge? 

How should I listen to music when parked and engine is off for an extended period of time? 1 or 2?

Thanks 

I've left it on 1&2 for both starting and listening to music and knock on wood no problems... Not sure if it's the right way or not but that's where the dealer had it at delivery so that's where I left it.

There are only a couple of times it should not be on both.  One is when you a listening to music for an extended period of time.  This is to keep one of the batteries charged so you can start the engine when ready to leave.  The other is when storing the boat.  Some do this for safety reasons, if an electrical short happens, it prevents fires and drained batteries.

• Like 2

Yes, only one battery charging with a 1/2/both switch pointed to 1 or 2. You need an acr if you want both to get charged.

Fwiw, I alternate which one I use to run on each day to make sure they stay charged.

Edited by oldjeep

Straight from Blue Seas web site: Battery Isolators, Automatic Charging Relays (also called ACRs, combiners, or voltage sensitive relays) are all intended to keep a load (or loads) from discharging the reserve battery system. The reserve battery system is used for vital loads like engine starting, navigation or communications. Battery Isolators and ACRs are intended to distribute current from a charging source to all batteries, but leave the batteries isolated during discharge conditions so they are only impacted by their own loads. The key thing to note here if I am reading this correctly is that both batteries are always being charged regardless of switch position, but if you combine them 1+2/ALL both batteries will be discharged. I leave my switch set to the house (radio) battery so if it is discharged too low my starting battery is not affected. I use my on board charger religiously and still have the factory batteries 7 years later.

Edited by wdr

Personally, I start on 1, run on both, and use 2 when the boat is off and I'm listening to music of filling/emptying tanks or whatever.  If somethign goes wrong on either 1 or 2, I figure I've got the other to use as a backup to start the boat and get home.

1 hour ago, sandaddiction said:

I am getting mixed information.  Please assist with the following in relation to a 2016 Malibu.

How should I start and run the boat? 1, 2 or Both? If I am on 1 or 2 only, while running the engine with the alternate battery charge? 

How should I listen to music when parked and engine is off for an extended period of time? 1 or 2?

Thanks 

Theres 2 things you want to avoid, the reset depends on how you use the boat and the types of batteries you have. 1) dont anchor and leave the switch on the BOTH, 1+2 or COMBINED. 2) dont turn the switch to OFF while engine is running. 

From what I gathered from another site, seems to be best to start on both.  Switch to 1 shortly after.  It isn't good to run on 2 or both for very long.  Operate stereo while parked on 1.

would everyone agree?

• Like 1

I read somewhere that you are supposed to primarily use #1 for nearly everything, and rely and #2 as a backup. I tried using and running on both, but even when I do that I still get a low voltage warning when starting the motor. Then when I switch to #1 everything seems to be fine.

2 hours ago, wdr said:

Straight from Blue Seas web site: Battery Isolators, Automatic Charging Relays (also called ACRs, combiners, or voltage sensitive relays) are all intended to keep a load (or loads) from discharging the reserve battery system. The reserve battery system is used for vital loads like engine starting, navigation or communications. Battery Isolators and ACRs are intended to distribute current from a charging source to all batteries, but leave the batteries isolated during discharge conditions so they are only impacted by their own loads. The key thing to note here if I am reading this correctly is that both batteries are always being charged regardless of switch position, but if you combine them 1+2/ALL both batteries will be discharged. I leave my switch set to the house (radio) battery so if it is discharged too low my starting battery is not affected. I use my on board charger religiously and still have the factory batteries 7 years later.

You're referring to an ACR, http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--starting-isolation-si-dual-sensing-automatic-charging-relay--8646283 which is different than a battery selector switch http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--m-series-mini-selector-battery-switch-with-removable-knob--8646291?recordNum=5.

AFAIK, ACRs are not a factory option so the only way the OP has an ACR in addition to a selector switch is if one were installed after-market.

34 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I read somewhere that you are supposed to primarily use #1 for nearly everything, and rely and #2 as a backup. I tried using and running on both, but even when I do that I still get a low voltage warning when starting the motor. Then when I switch to #1 everything seems to be fine.

strange but something I'm i interested in as well. both mine died low bat warningat the sambar so I mediately tried to start the engine and I was out of luck unfortunately mine was on both at the time so both batteries were run low. seriously malibu the low battery warning should be at a level that still allow starting the boat! 

I switch back to both to run around for a little bit to charge it up the past couple of days but when I switch to number two it still shows low battery so I have to leave it on both ,or 1 only so either I have a bad number to battery or it's not charging or charging well .. after that incident I was planning on switching to number two at the sambar leaving number one for everything else  ut my num er 2 seems to always be low or it coukd be that it has t cbarged back up, as when I'm on both i get a lower voltage than when on one only which means number 2 is pulling nimber 1 down .. hmmm... 

In the meantime I'm developing a boat lift wake boat charging kit that will charge both batteries while I'm gone all week so i can monitor whats going on..

Edited by The Hulk
1 hour ago, sandaddiction said:

From what I gathered from another site, seems to be best to start on both.  Switch to 1 shortly after.  It isn't good to run on 2 or both for very long.  Operate stereo while parked on 1.

would everyone agree?

This is what I do, only makes sense. Gives it lots of juice to start, and doesn't hurt the alternator by having to charge two batts and always have a full second batt.

couldn't you use like a 100A one way diode on the positive of 1 to positive on 2. then simple jumper between negatives on 1 and 2? both are connected in parallel but with a diode on at least the positive side acting like a 1 way check valve allowing it to be charged but not discharged unless fully connected in parallel via switch set to both? I realze most diodes have around half Volt drop but good enough mYbe..

then when switch on 1 only.. it's still charging 1+2. but no discharge can come from number 2, until the switch is turned to 2 or both.. but in respect if u are on number 2 only you would NOT be charging number one because the diode is blocking it going back to 1. 

couldn't this be cheaper than an ACR. ? for leaving on 1 always but having number 2 as back up to start if needded? then switch back to number 1 and leave it thwrw always?

ACR is more expensive so u can isolate each way vs this may work if u plan to always be on 1, and 2 is just back up? tboughts?

something like a stud type diode maybe but how many amps are the alternators in our boats throwing out? if over 100A then not sure if i can find a bigger one or if two of these in parallel could work 

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/dc-power-supply-stud-rectifier-diode-1200v-100a-wire-zp100a/300904378?goog_pla=1&gpid=18283950120&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o3&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3uWMQ5V9-UyhRyU8TOTPzMjnJxrasbCjRoitzMZqavkaAjtf8P8HAQ

Edited by The Hulk

Lose the AB switch and get an ACR. Really no reason why they do not come stock on these boats with big stereos. Basically install it and forget it and never worry about switch position again.

• Like 2

+1 to MadMan's post. As an electrician this is the correct application for many long term reasons. Also the OFF position is best while stored and connected to a charger so the charger doesn't see any loads and effect the charge voltage and or current. Note that it is best if both batteries are the same type and age. As someone else mentioned, NEVER switch the battery switch to the OFF position while the motor is running or you risk damaging the alternator.

58 minutes ago, IdahoAxis said:

You're referring to an ACR, http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--starting-isolation-si-dual-sensing-automatic-charging-relay--8646283 which is different than a battery selector switch http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--m-series-mini-selector-battery-switch-with-removable-knob--8646291?recordNum=5.

AFAIK, ACRs are not a factory option so the only way the OP has an ACR in addition to a selector switch is if one were installed after-market.

ACR is an Option on these boats, I've ordered it on my last 3 boats. I think it's labeled as "Option 3".

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

couldn't you use like a 100A one way diode on the positive of 1 to positive on 2. then simple jumper between negatives on 1 and 2? both are connected in parallel but with a diode on at least the positive side acting like a 1 way check valve allowing it to be charged but not discharged unless fully connected in parallel via switch set to both? I realze most diodes have around half Volt drop but good enough mYbe..

then when switch on 1 only.. it's still charging 1+2. but no discharge can come from number 2, until the switch is turned to 2 or both.. but in respect if u are on number 2 only you would NOT be charging number one because the diode is blocking it going back to 1. 

couldn't this be cheaper than an ACR. ? for leaving on 1 always but having number 2 as back up to start if needded? then switch back to number 1 and leave it thwrw always?

ACR is more expensive so u can isolate each way vs this may work if u plan to always be on 1, and 2 is just back up? tboughts?

something like a stud type diode maybe but how many amps are the alternators in our boats throwing out? if over 100A then not sure if i can find a bigger one or if two of these in parallel could work 

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/dc-power-supply-stud-rectifier-diode-1200v-100a-wire-zp100a/300904378?goog_pla=1&gpid=18283950120&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o3&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3uWMQ5V9-UyhRyU8TOTPzMjnJxrasbCjRoitzMZqavkaAjtf8P8HAQ

This has been done in the past by many boat builders. Most have migrated to ACRs and VSRs like from blue sea and BRP Marine or simply stuck with a simple switch. 

The issue with a 2 bank diode isolator paired with a traditional 1/2/both/off switch, in order to make the diode most effective, you would have to wire all your house loads direct to the house battery. This is less than ideal IMO. Not going to go into it as its been debated a number of times. Wiring like you talked about, remember and putting the diode in line between one of the batteries and the switch, will not work. Alternator current would pass to the battery, but no current would pass back to the switch. 

If you wanted to attempt this, you would wan this type https://jet.com/product/detail/558b484e0da940a39bdd30a6e4360c9c?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_electronics_a1:electronics_a1_top:na:PLA_348772140_24231291180_pla-161707529100:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=gen_electronics_a1&ds_cid=&ds_ag=electronics_a1_top&product_id=558b484e0da940a39bdd30a6e4360c9c&product_partition_id=161707529100&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3mzxoV8GOyVUDkmVYGh0l0DCXOPAlHW4VUn3TazGW-YaApWB8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

However, an ACR and proper switch is far better, or just stick with the simple switch. 

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Really no reason why they do not come stock on these boats with big stereos.

I dont see the size of the stereo being a factor, however, the size of the house bank should be. For a large house bank, that often accompany large stereos, the traditional 1/2/both/off setup is better than an ACR.  

I had no idea about dual batteries and the ACR system until I got my boat and found that was the battery option the dealer ordered.  After doing the research on the Blue Seas ACR system so I would understand what I had in the boat I was blown away by how brilliant it is.  The ACR charges both batteries as needed, uses one to start, the other for "the electrical  loads" when parked and the engine is off.  And if you ever unknowingly did get into a low battery situation by accident, you can use the "combine" position to hopefully get enough amps to start your boat and prevent being stranded.

It's brilliant!  Now that I know about it and have one,  I would never trust a "electric hungry" boat on the water without one.

Well worth the $140 dollars at Bakes.

• Like 3

I always run/start with both, then switch to 2 for music while anchored. There's only been one time I couldn't start the boat on 2 after listening to music, and that was a night trip with all my int LED lights lit, speaker rings, swim lights and Nav lights.

Running on both seems to charge both my batteries tho.