Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

help picking amp

90oldskool

Need help on picking out a amp to run the inboat speakers and sub. Going to be running the polk mm651um -4 of these and a 12" sub with a sealed box.

Sub is going to be either rockford punch D3 or alpine type R. Do not know if i should go 2 or 4 omh on this. - open to other suggestions

Only wanting to run 1 amp . looking at a 5 or 6 ch . Only amp on the list so far is the rockford prime 5ch 600watt. 

Some direction on a sub and/or amp in those price points would be much appreciated 

1 hour ago, 90oldskool said:

Need help on picking out a amp to run the inboat speakers and sub. Going to be running the polk mm651um -4 of these and a 12" sub with a sealed box.

Sub is going to be either rockford punch D3 or alpine type R. Do not know if i should go 2 or 4 omh on this. - open to other suggestions

Only wanting to run 1 amp . looking at a 5 or 6 ch . Only amp on the list so far is the rockford prime 5ch 600watt. 

Some direction on a sub and/or amp in those price points would be much appreciated 

Check out the precision power p900.5.  I had it on my malibu & it was plenty for four speakers & a 12" sub

I would also throw the JL Audio 12W3 and the Wetsounds XS-12 in that group with a Punch P3 and a Type R 12". Regardless of power handling specs (which aren't really qualified and can differ greatly based on how conservative or liberal the individual manufacturer states things), all these have 2.5 " voice coils and all will be comfortable with 500 to 600 watts. All are using polymer cones (no paper products or hybrids) and all will stand up and maintain consistent performance over the long haul in fresh water. The WS is 100% marine construction...critical in salt water.

With a final 2-ohm sub you want a 5-channel amplifier. With a final 4-ohm sub you want a 6-channel amplifier.  

As for amplifiers, I'm going to start near the top. There are many other less expensive options that may be acceptable to you including the RF. I like the JL Audio XD1000/5 (or the marine version, M1000/5). Here's why. Although it's not regulated, this amplifier will still produce it's full 14.4V rating even with a 12.6V supply, and JL Audio provides you with concise output voltages to achieve full non-clipping power so you can count on those numbers holding up. Much higher switching speeds for a Class D analog switching amplifier which means cleaner top end and more bandwidth (note that HF distortion is hard to rate on Class D, many amplifiers fail here, and specs generally only reflect 1 kHz distortion & not full bandwidth). Then we come to the studio grade JL Audio front end and crossover filters. The filters are symmetrical, detented with a corresponding chart, and accurate to within 1 Hz. The filters are well-damped with a very smooth & consistent slope. With just a little guidance (provided in the manual) this amplifier makes system tuning a dream and a far more concise operation.          

I am running a VERY similar system in my Tantrum, using POLK 4" DB401 and a 12" Alpine ZR, running 2 old skool PPI Art series Amps, both amps and power supply mounted to the 12" ported box.  The system absolutely rocks, many people comment on how stealth yet how good it sounds.  You can spend lots of $$ on a modern single amp, I chose having a dedicated amp for the sub.  You won't believe the deals you can get on good 90's amps if you search craigslist for a while.

First thing that jumps out at me, is the caliber of 12" woofer and an amp that only delivers 300W rms to a 2 ohm woofer. If you want the level of bass that those woofers are capable, you are going to need way more than 300W. Or, go with a more mild woofer class at a more budget friendly price point, and shift some of that budget over to the amp. other notable 5 and 6 chnl amps, look into Wet sounds, Kicker and Arc Audio with woofer outputs in the 300W to 600W range.  

11 hours ago, 90oldskool said:

Need help on picking out a amp to run the inboat speakers and sub. Going to be running the polk mm651um -4 of these

I'll have 4 of the MM651UM for sale. Timing flexible. Used one season. Moving to 8 inch. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm with david on this one -- XD 1000/5.  Or go XD 400/4 and XD 600/1 if you don't mind two amps (1000/5 is basically those two amps in one chassis).  You can sometimes find the two amps cheaper than the one 1000/5.

21 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

I am generally a Fender tweed fan.  Try a Tweed Bassman or Deluxe re-issue.  Oh wait.  Wrong forum!

Yes, but Parts Express makes all those materials available if you want to retro your sub enclosure or amp panel. Nothing like those lit-up tubes.

• Like 1

Is there much advantage/disadvantage to running a 5/6 ch vs a mono and 4ch? assuming both are class d and the extra wiring aside . 

More or less battery usage with 2 amps? 

1 hour ago, 90oldskool said:

Is there much advantage/disadvantage to running a 5/6 ch vs a mono and 4ch? assuming both are class d and the extra wiring aside . 

More or less battery usage with 2 amps? 

When the efficiency of the amplifiers is the same and the power is the same, the two scenarios will draw the same amount of current. The only difference will be a couple of amps at idle. At a certain point, if the system were to be large enough in power, and if you are loading all channels down to the minimum impedance, then separate power supplies and separate chassis will have distinct advantages.    

In the right build, I like the advantage of wiring power cables, remote and RCAs for only one amp. I also find that a single chassis 5 or 6 chnl can take up less room than two amps. There are times where the sub and in-boat needs might benefit from dedicated amps. If you are wanting to stick with the two subs you noted in your original post, you would likely need a dedicated mono to supply ideal power to those two options, This would leave you needed a dedicated 4 chnl for the in-boats. As david explained, battery draw will be based on the output, more than the number of amps.  

So going with the alpine type S 2 ohm 12 , going with the 5/6 would work out better ? I listened to that sub when at car toys last week and liked the sound . Or the RF punch 12 at 2 ohms .