Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow W/ Range Rover Sport

sandaddiction

I have a 2016 Range Rover Sport.  The hitch is fairly low and recessed.  Does anyone tow with one?  If so, what are the specs of your drawbar?  Needing to get one tomorrow to pick up my boat.

Thanks

Do not own a a Range Rover but I really like this hitch.  Assume you have a 2" shank size.  Andersen adjustable hitch can adjust any height you may need.  Drop or a Rise.   Should work in your application.  

6" Rapid Hitch Drop/Rise with Greaseless AlumiBall Combo Ball (2" x 2-5/16") - Andersen 3405

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Hitch-Greaseless-AlumiBall-Combo/dp/B006UH59D0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QVFAWY4PG9CRE4D72DXY

Towing capacity I found online says Range Rover Sport has a range from 6,614 to 7,716 lbs depending on the engine.    Make sure yours can handle the boat you are buying.    

Also recommend the locking pin set.  Rapid Hitch 3492 Keyed Locking Pin

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Hitch-3492-Keyed-Locking/dp/B0017KOOT0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AG5HRGJCHRWJ2KZQ1X41

Edited by ORMailbuboater

I can't speak to the Rover, but I will offer feedback on the hitch.  I have a buddy that works construction (and uses his truck hard) and tried the Rapid hitch.  He literally wore it out.  First problems started with flickering trailer lights due to it not being a proper ground  for the trailers, and ended up developing too much slop (both in the vertical adjustment as well as the shank).  Like I said, he used it hard, and you may not ever wear one out with recreational use.

But I would get the B&W Tow & Stow instead.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/tow-and-stow-adjustable-ball-mounts/tow-and-stow-receiver-hitch

4 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I can't speak to the Rover, but I will offer feedback on the hitch.  I have a buddy that works construction (and uses his truck hard) and tried the Rapid hitch.  He literally wore it out.  First problems started with flickering trailer lights due to it not being a proper ground  for the trailers, and ended up developing too much slop (both in the vertical adjustment as well as the shank).  Like I said, he used it hard, and you may not ever wear one out with recreational use.

But I would get the B&W Tow & Stow instead.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/tow-and-stow-adjustable-ball-mounts/tow-and-stow-receiver-hitch

Counterpoint.  I've had the same Andersen 6" rapid hitch since 2003.  Not a bit of wear on it and I used to use the 2 5/16 side for car trailers pretty constantly, now I use the 2" side exclusively.  If your trailer is grounding through the ball then you wired your trailer or truck wrong, it should be grounding through the ground wire in the trailer harness. I did replace the 2" black pad once after a rather large dog bit it off the trailer hitch at the dog park.

1 hour ago, ORMailbuboater said:

My .02 on that.  Their locking pin for the adjuster is the only game in town so you have to buy that from them, but get a Master lock hitch pin lock.  The Andersen pins have been improved a couple times but the lock cylinders still tend to corrode to the point of having to cut them off.  I'm on my 4th or 5th adjuster pin and went through 2 of their hitch pins until I switched to the Master.

Edited by oldjeep

we tow with ours and its fantastic. We did go with a longer hitch so the coupling sits a little further away from the rear bumper. We also went with a straight hitch. No drop or raise. It sits very level.

IMG_0811.jpg

• Like 1