Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Stabil for every fill up

stewtex2011

It seems there is a trend that those who live up north, where the environment is less humid, do not use Sta-bil. Those that live in the south, where you can drink the air in the heat of the summer, rely on the Sta-bil more. I use non-ethanol fuel and I still use Sta-bil Marine at every fill-up. I also use Sta-bil in any equipment that sits without being used for a time. Where I live, if ethanol fuel sits for a time, the corn turns to sugar and gums up the engine.

This is my experience, not sure of the science behind it. A bottle of Sta-bil is cheap peace of mind!

2 hours ago, GR8TOW said:

It seems there is a trend that those who live up north, where the environment is less humid, do not use Sta-bil. Those that live in the south, where you can drink the air in the heat of the summer, rely on the Sta-bil more.

Good point.

And I'm glad yalls boats don't mind ethanol. Mine, however, is just a picky little snot nosed brat, and does not like fuel with ethanol in it. I only run fuel with ethanol about twice a year - and every time I have issues if I don't use an additive like stabil or seafoam etc.

So, I'm going to keep using my magic elephant repellent that one or two times a year. I'm an Auburn fan, so repelling elephants is something that's extremely important to me anyway.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

Good point.

And I'm glad yalls boats don't mind ethanol. Mine, however, is just a picky little snot nosed brat, and does not like fuel with ethanol in it. I only run fuel with ethanol about twice a year - and every time I have issues if I don't use an additive like stabil or seafoam etc.

So, I'm going to keep using my magic elephant repellent that one or two times a year. I'm an Auburn fan, so repelling elephants is something that's extremely important to me anyway.

If you only run it a couple times a year then you may have another issue

E10 cleans all the crap out of your fuel system, so you may be experiencing issues from that.  Seems odd that Stabil would do anything for a running issue since that isn't what it is for, Seafoam is a fuel system cleaner so also weird that would have any immediate effect unless it helps break up the crap in your fuel system into smaller chunks.  We've had E10 up here for the last 25-30 years, pretty rare to find E0 anywhere.

I'm assuming you run E10 in your truck - ever see any issues there?

Edited by oldjeep

OJ, 

The hygroscopic nature of ethanol is the problem in high humidity areas:

"10% ethanol gasoline is hygroscopic (will absorb water) and can absorb 50 times more water than conventional non-alcohol gasoline. - Phase separation occurs in E10 gas, when only 0.5% water or 3.8 teaspoons water per gallon of fuel is absorbed."

(plagiarized)

therein lies the problem.

23 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

OJ, 

The hygroscopic nature of ethanol is the problem in high humidity areas:

"10% ethanol gasoline is hygroscopic (will absorb water) and can absorb 50 times more water than conventional non-alcohol gasoline. - Phase separation occurs in E10 gas, when only 0.5% water or 3.8 teaspoons water per gallon of fuel is absorbed."

(plagiarized)

therein lies the problem.

Doesn't really explain why it isn't causing problems in his truck.  Also does not explain why adding a couple oz of Propanol is doing anything.  The whole reason for adding Heet in days gone by (propanol/isopropyl alchohol) is so that it'll absorb water, since E10 already does that it seems odd that it is doing anything.  My mom has a car sitting in the garage in Naples FL - one of the most humid places I know of, been sitting since April.  In October she'll fly back down, turn the key and drive off with no issues like she does every year.

Edited by oldjeep
47 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

If you only run it a couple times a year then you may have another issue

E10 cleans all the crap out of your fuel system, so you may be experiencing issues from that.  Seems odd that Stabil would do anything for a running issue since that isn't what it is for, Seafoam is a fuel system cleaner so also weird that would have any immediate effect unless it helps break up the crap in your fuel system into smaller chunks.  We've had E10 up here for the last 25-30 years, pretty rare to find E0 anywhere.

I'm assuming you run E10 in your truck - ever see any issues there?

No, I run diesel, and I change the fuel filters religiously. lol 

Unless you're a petroleum engineer, trying to determine the effectiveness of Stabil is, for the most part, limited to internet searches.  The results of which  are probably posted by the people try to sell something (Stabil).

Also, it appears as though most think only good can come from adding this bottle of chemicals into your fuel system.  Who knows what effect it has on your fuel tank, injector seals, etc.

So our cars if not made before say mid 70's have sealed fuel systems. That being they do not vent like our boats. Don't think its as big of deal with cars. But I don't use it for water but more for stopping  varnishing in long shut downs.  Maybe its like a placebo makes us feel good but not a benefit !!!!!!!!!!   

I have a 2008 with the 320 LCR.  I run 87 - 89 octane, depending on what the marina has. We leave the boat on the lake so i have to use marina gas. 

I know the marinas go through fuel quickly, and i never have a tank more than 2 weeks.  I only use Stabile at the end of the season to winterize. 

The electronic control will compensate for lower octane fuels. Try the 87 and see how it runs.  I cannot tell a difference, but i do not run heavily loaded. 

And i am not a petroleum engineer, but i did stay at Holiday Inn last week. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sixball said:

So our cars if not made before say mid 70's have sealed fuel systems. That being they do not vent like our boats. Don't think its as big of deal with cars. But I don't use it for water but more for stopping  varnishing in long shut downs.  Maybe its like a placebo makes us feel good but not a benefit !!!!!!!!!!   

Actually I have several '60s and early '70s cars, no Stabil use there either.

7 hours ago, Sixball said:

SB,

Do you use E10 gas?  That stops varnishing.

10 hours ago, Soon2BV said:

I have a 2008 with the 320 LCR.  I run 87 - 89 octane, depending on what the marina has. We leave the boat on the lake so i have to use marina gas. 

I know the marinas go through fuel quickly, and i never have a tank more than 2 weeks.  I only use Stabile at the end of the season to winterize. 

The electronic control will compensate for lower octane fuels. Try the 87 and see how it runs.  I cannot tell a difference, but i do not run heavily loaded. 

And i am not a petroleum engineer, but i did stay at Holiday Inn last week. 

+1 My boat 320 LCR see's only 87octane 98% of the time. She runs just fine. It get a big drink of premium for the spring fill up. 

On September 2, 2016 at 10:57 AM, GR8TOW said:

It seems there is a trend that those who live up north, where the environment is less humid, do not use Sta-bil. Those that live in the south, where you can drink the air in the heat of the summer, rely on the Sta-bil more. I use non-ethanol fuel and I still use Sta-bil Marine at every fill-up. I also use Sta-bil in any equipment that sits without being used for a time. Where I live, if ethanol fuel sits for a time, the corn turns to sugar and gums up the engine.

This is my experience, not sure of the science behind it. A bottle of Sta-bil is cheap peace of mind!

It's plenty humid up here in MN and we have some pretty wild swings in temperature too which I think might even be worse for moisture. 

I was going to say the same thing about the humidity here in MI.  With a prevailing wind out of the south in the summer and surrounded by 4 of the 5 Great Lakes + we have so many lakes and rivers.

Have any of you used ISO Dry (Dry Gas) in either the yellow or red bottle for your gas?  Much cheaper and made by Eagle who also makes Sta-bil.

Are there any fuel additives that are worth using on a regular basis?

Im not sure how effective they are but I do add a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner/octane booster every now and again and sea foam once in a while when I catch it on sale at the parts store.

Any thoughts on those?

• Like 1
On August 31, 2016 at 5:43 PM, stewtex2011 said:

I recently purchased an 08 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV and the previous owner said he added Sta-Bil to every fill up to help remove water out of the fuel at the marina? I have looked all over this site and I only see using this product for storage and not everyday fill ups. Thoughts? 

I have the Monsoon 340 and will probably be buying premium gas at a local station and fueling the boat on our lift. 

Stop 

just stop 

• Like 1