Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

buying advice - 23 or 25 LSV

WakeSS

14 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I ambit out at night much but the times I have been we had to put towels over the dash. The screens need to dim more for night driving. 

There is a "night" mode in the lower left of the dash. Wasn't on for this pic but I think it's still too bright for pitch dark. Haven't been underway past dusk yet. I think I did see some brightness settings while flipping through the menus...

Just now, hethj7 said:

Yea, I have used that mode and turned it all the way down. Even tilting the screen down it was too much glare on the windshield. I could see better looking over the windshield than through it. 

Ok good to know. We do a fair amount of driving at night so will keep a towel handy! My windshield is tinted so I'll definitely be looking over. Just realized that will suck if we get caught in the rain!

On September 8, 2016 at 2:57 PM, DarkSide said:

I use cleats and giant carabiner's works like a champ.   Instead of rope feed carabiner through top of fender, clip it onto cleat.  Super fast, the fender is big enough the carabiner never gets close to the gel.  $20 solution!

Pics!! Please

What's so hard about tying a fender to a cleat?  So simple and takes 5 seconds and there's no worries about scratching the boat with metal clips or buckles. I can throw my fender to my buddies sitting in the back of the boat without worry of taking his eye out with a fender lock. 

Just now, isellacuras said:

What's so hard about tying a fender to a cleat?  So simple and takes 5 seconds and there's no worries about scratching the boat with metal clips or buckles. I can throw my fender to my buddies sitting in the back of the boat without worry of taking his eye out with a fender lock. 

The position of the driver side forward cleat is in a little bit of an awkward position, and every once in a while we are pulling in and there is an oh yeah get the bumper out moment and a quick scramble to get it done. And when the person tying the fender doesn't know the proper height it can be frustrating.

i was out on Friday in my buddies boat and I had the rear clear and he tied the driver one on and came in a little hot with the current and got a nice rubber skid on the gel cus the bumper was low.

it all buffed out easy enough but if there was an errant nail or screw it would be a different story.

i believe I saw a 3rd forward clear on the 25, and I'm considering adding a 3rd on my 23. I know I'd prefer to use my exile balls or hippity hops , but on a day trip I feel like they take up a bunch of room. I'm running G5 bumpers , but on a 25 I'd definitely want at least a G6 or Balls

i definitely want to see more about @DarkSide s carabiner, If I can keep it off the gel I'll be doing this.

On 9/1/2016 at 4:35 PM, RyanB said:

And Ryan still says order at least the 450 in the 23.  I can't speak to low elevations, but I am disappointed in my boat with the 450.  It would not push the boat with 750s in the rear (although I admittedly did not try it with a bow bag - but I don't want to deal with bags on the seats).

I know I am not the first to say this, but I have never heard someone say they ordered too much engine.  It is MUCH less expensive to buy it right the first time than it is to pay to upgrade something in the future.  I am living proof.

I have the 350 in my 23 LSV... I have 1100 pnp in rear lockers... 560s under coffin seats... and throw an additional 500 in bow.. plus factory ballast...I surf at 11.4 - 11.6.... the boat gets there no problem.. I am at sea level 

Not scratches, reflections!   The only way carabiner can get to the gel is IF you grab the fender from the bottom, and intentionally try.  If you look at the top pic you can even see the tooth of the carabiner in the reflection.  Look just below the cleat.

3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

That is a sick looking boat!

Thanks! Very similar to the "build a boat" I sent to the wife to push her over the edge... her second favorite color is Orange. First is Yellow but I couldn't bring myself to be the Steelers boat - WhoDey!

28 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Not scratches, reflections!   The only way carabiner can get to the gel is IF you grab the fender from the bottom, and intentionally try.  If you look at the top pic you can even see the tooth of the carabiner in the reflection.  Look just below the cleat.

g6 or g7 fenders?

1 hour ago, Levi900RR said:

Anyone running the Exile balls still? I've been meaning to buy some, and an inflator / deflator for a year or so... 

We do.   I keep 5 or 6 of them deflated with a pump on the boat for tie-ups.  they are awesome for that and help keeps boards and racks from bumping into each other.  But, for normal/quick docking to fuel up, I still have the traditional fenders.   FYI, the little handheld pump I have for the balls is double-acting and still about worthless.    You are just about better to just blow them up by mouth.  

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

We do.   I keep 5 or 6 of them deflated with a pump on the boat for tie-ups.  they are awesome for that and help keeps boards and racks from bumping into each other.  But, for normal/quick docking to fuel up, I still have the traditional fenders.   FYI, the little handheld pump I have for the balls is double-acting and still about worthless.    You are just about better to just blow them up by mouth.  

I was thinking about one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVE-Sports-Pressure-Inflator-Deflator/dp/B0024G6BOM

2 hours ago, Levi900RR said:

Anyone running the Exile balls still? I've been meaning to buy some, and an inflator / deflator for a year or so... 

We use them on the houseboat or boat to boat tie ups. 

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

WHy would you ever re-tie a fender?  Put a loop in it at the right height, shove it through the middle of the cleat and around the cleat.

It's not uncommon to have different dock heights from lake to lake, and the various docks on the delta. And the rear clear sits lower than the front cleat

Edited by Stevo
Just now, Stevo said:

We use them on the houseboat or boat to boat tie ups. 

It's not uncommon to have different dock heights from lake to lake, and the various docks on the delta.

The rub rail on the boat is always in the same place as is the waterline.  Not much adjustment room unless your bumpers are only 6" long.

Not if there is ballast involved. 

Granted it doesn't happen often and we are splitting hairs. I'm not drawing a line in the sand 

our lunch spot is at the end of a channel we run in, and it's easy to just put over, instead of draining everything.

Edited by Stevo
On 9/8/2016 at 8:40 AM, WakeSS said:

I always said I would never have dark interior or top rails...although the impromptu dancing is always fun to watch ;)

This new material is really good a dissipating heat. It was 90+ full sun when we looked at it on the lot and it was bearable. There were a few times this weekend where you would hit a hot spot. If there is no airflow it gets hot (along with the gray soft grip decking). Keep the boat moving or have a breeze and you don't notice it at all.

Gorgeous boat man!  Dig the 'limo' look to these boats when they're on the water. So jealous.

Also, love the honest answer on the upholstery.  I can't count the number of times I've heard members tell us "no, no..the black upholstery NEVER gets hot... not at all".  :lol:  

7 hours ago, Levi900RR said:

That would be overkill for just the balls, but then again I have something like the link below and it doesn't help much   

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spalding-NBA-12-Pump-Blue/27420718

22 hours ago, oldjeep said:

WHy would you ever re-tie a fender?  Put a loop in it at the right height, shove it through the middle of the cleat and around the cleat.

Different docks/boats require different tie up situations...