Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

buying advice - 23 or 25 LSV

WakeSS

On September 1, 2016 at 9:56 PM, The Hulk said:

where is the link to the boat being considered?

Sorry the link is no longer available due to being sold....

TO ME :thumbup: taking delivery tomorrow in time for the long weekend.

Thanks for all the input. I was pretty much there but you guys sealed the deal.

Disappointed I missed the prop comments until after I had the deal done. I have the torque prop - 2249 14.5" pitch. I didn't notice the yanking the rope out of the hands torque you mentioned. But I had 1800#s of PNP and no bow bag and we don't tend to go straight to WOT on a surfer pick up either. I have not wakeboarded behind it yet. That's where I would expect it to yank your arms off... I had it up to about 40 and still climbing so hoping that I don't regret that prop down the road. All the boats there had the torque or High Altitude prop.

Not going to be able to sleep tonight... talk to you guys on Tuesday, I'll be riding all weekend!!

• Like 2
On August 31, 2016 at 5:50 PM, AussieSkier said:

Probably the only time these words will ever be spoken... Glad I don't live in Australia! That's over MSRP here. Ended up around 30% off msrp of 148k

Edited by WakeSS
  • Like 3
32 minutes ago, WakeSS said:

Disappointed I missed the prop comments until after I had the deal done. I have the torque prop - 2249 14.5" pitch. I didn't notice the yanking the rope out of the hands torque you mentioned. But I had 1800#s of PNP and no bow bag and we don't tend to go straight to WOT on a surfer pick up either. I have not wakeboarded behind it yet. That's where I would expect it to yank your arms off... I had it up to about 40 and still climbing so hoping that I don't regret that prop down the road. All the boats there had the torque or High Altitude prop.

Not going to be able to sleep tonight... talk to you guys on Tuesday, I'll be riding all weekend!!

awesome post pics! 

I top out at or under 40 with that prop. I would tell em u want at least something higher pitched at least the 2277 if they have one. take em 5 mins to swap it out for ya if they have it.

900PNP?  Can u post a pic of the bags I'm still trying to get an answer from wakemakers in higher than 750s. they said a 2016 is different than a 2017, which I thought strange.

no worries i couldn't sleep! good luck!

25 minutes ago, WakeSS said:

Probably the only time these words will ever be spoken... Glad I don't live in Australia! That's over MSRP here. Ended up around 30% off msrp of 148k

confused for 148k or 30% off that amd like 104k.? 

On September 1, 2016 at 11:57 PM, hethj7 said:

Even though it is talked about on here, I think prop angle has as much impact as anything (okay, okay, I haven't been in an LSA boat yet) and doesn't get enough emphasis.    My buddy with a '14 LSV and the 350 used to struggle and hit the speed wall - until we threw a 1,000 lb sack in the bow.    My 16 LSV seems to hit a speed wall if I have rear PNP full (with the custom bags) and little to no bow weight.  Put some bow weight in, and you're back in business.   Now I'm not at altitude and I'll never dispute more power is better, but get your bow down and the prop pointed somewhere besides the bottom of the lake and the base engines can get it done. 

As to the OP's question - 25 seems like the right call if money doesn't matter too much.  But, coming in looking for a T23 and walking out with a 25LSV is quite the upsell.   I don't care about people's finances, but as the OP mentioned with the 25 you have lift modifications, etc. to deal with.  And don't discount all the goodies you'll need/want with a new boat - new boards to take advantage of the wave, speaker sox and rack covers, ballast bags, etc. etc.  Even though I owned a VLX before we got our LSV, it seems like I'm dropping money left and right on goodies for the new boat.   Just don't leave yourself short on funds to enjoy the new boat - heck, we bought my wife a new surfboard when we got the boat and with less than 50 hours on the boat, she wants a new board already :thumbup:

Yes, it was quite the upsell. I didn't have a figure in mind, I was more shopping on value. Coming from being in the sport for so long and seeing 10 year old used boats going for what they sold for new, the Axis was more of a refusal to except that markup. I felt I didn't need or want anything to do with all the electronics crap. I'm sure like many of you, I was just fine throwing a 12v bilge pump in the water and plugging it into the cigarette lighter to fill sacs laying everywhere like we did 15 years ago. Perfect pass and a heater where my only option requirements. If you would have told me I was going to buy a vessel that lives on the water with a 11"LCD and runs windows for all it's major functions, I would have said you were nuts ;)

The boat we ended up with is the first boat we walked up to on the lot before any sales people were around. I think they were as shocked as my wife when we had a deal sheet on an Axis and a left over base type model 23 and I asked what they could do on the 25...Good move on their part of picking a low priced 23 heavily discounted to show how close the Malibu and Axis could be priced.

I do have to say Malibu with an entry level line is a great sales tool.

1 hour ago, WakeSS said:

You will be fine with that prop. Just dont hit the throttle as hard!

4 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

awesome post pics! 

I top out at or under 40 with that prop. I would tell em u want at least something higher pitched at least the 2277 if they have one. take em 5 mins to swap it out for ya if they have it.

900PNP?  Can u post a pic of the bags I'm still trying to get an answer from wakemakers in higher than 750s. they said a 2016 is different than a 2017, which I thought strange.

no worries i couldn't sleep! good luck!

confused for 148k or 30% off that amd like 104k.? 

yep, 900 PNP. When full they pushed out the plastic bins on the stern seats. Sorry on the sort of cryptic pricing... haven't made it through rules or been around long enough to know if pricing is frowned upon. I'll PM you the details. 

EB3kgbrfP-t0zXJyD0m9bjOefEf4sfK8O0l1UH8G

6 hours ago, 911turboz said:

25 LSV with the 575 only way to go.  The 25's that are still avaialbe have the 450...

All I can say... massively HUGE wake...very happy with ours!

what are your rpms with the 575 and what gearbox on your 2016? which prop I assume you might be able to easily throw the 2401 or even something higher pitched 

Edited by The Hulk

So glad I went with the 25... Clicked off about 20 hours this weekend and 2 tanks of gas. Had 12 in the boat and never felt cramped at all even when shuffling boards and riders. The 2 ft makes a huge difference where it is.Found a few nit picky items. Most can be rectified fairly easy it seems and have been called out on here. Should have joined here long ago!

No "phender" quick clips. Who orders a $150k boat with the go pro mounts and doesn't do the fender mounts!

2 fixed heater vents for driver instead of tubes.

GPS mapping is not active.

$8k in stereo add-ons by a reputable shop and there's no Zone control...Going to add a WS-420

On to the good stuff!

Maiden dinner cruise after some wake boarding and surfing.

F389DC5D-DBCC-450B-97A8-1A29161C7B1E.jpg

Wife picking me up

7DB82D51-6163-48BA-998B-AFA31081EA16.jpg

My youngest approves

EC871154-AABF-4283-A79C-0C646CD2592F.jpg

Playing hookey to get some butter in

CD06B83E-5B80-4128-9D02-98EA1F120DB3.jpg

Friend learning to surf

9C370229-CD8B-47BC-AB18-4C2DC8BEBF72.jpg

Edited by WakeSS
fix pics -AGAIN
30 minutes ago, dppendar said:

boat looks great!  Congrats!

How hot is the vinyl?

I always said I would never have dark interior or top rails...although the impromptu dancing is always fun to watch ;)

This new material is really good a dissipating heat. It was 90+ full sun when we looked at it on the lot and it was bearable. There were a few times this weekend where you would hit a hot spot. If there is no airflow it gets hot (along with the gray soft grip decking). Keep the boat moving or have a breeze and you don't notice it at all.

19 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

i thought the fender mounts were standard? all the bus i've ever seen have them i thought they were standard like cleats?

Never seen one of those fender mounts except in a picture.  Even cleats are still are optional.

Edited by oldjeep

I use cleats and giant carabiner's works like a champ.   Instead of rope feed carabiner through top of fender, clip it onto cleat.  Super fast, the fender is big enough the carabiner never gets close to the gel.  $20 solution!

On September 9, 2016 at 10:29 PM, The Hulk said:

get those pics fixed yet? this boat is a myth! :boat:

Ugh, were fixed. F google... went back to trusty old photobucket!

You get the bonus pic of the WetSounds LED rings we were talking about ;)

39ED4EC9-984B-4A0C-BBE6-AB8EB8D02401.jpg

B31D7EC1-B7D8-46AD-AA0C-1B2751489FB6.jpg

On the phender pro clips, although i do think they are extrememly handy especially for the driver bouy, my point was they ordered the sport cam package with the phender clip with a Ram mount and 2 recepticles on the transom but not the standard clips and recepticles. Limits the gopro mounting locations...

40 minutes ago, WakeSS said:

Ugh, were fixed. F google... went back to trusty old photobucket!

You get the bonus pic of the WetSounds LED rings we were talking about ;)

39ED4EC9-984B-4A0C-BBE6-AB8EB8D02401.jpg

B31D7EC1-B7D8-46AD-AA0C-1B2751489FB6.jpg

I ambit out at night much but the times I have been we had to put towels over the dash. The screens need to dim more for night driving. 

• Like 2