Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What size wakeboard

Chef23

I have a 140 CWB Pure and I think it is a little small. I weigh 235 lbs and I can't seem to get the board to break loose to do surface spins. I am thinking of looking for something in the 143-44 size. What size are you larger guys riding?

Edited by Chef23

I'm Large and ride a 143, although a larger board is not necessarily easier to break loose. Just get'er naked, take those fins off and your problem will be solved.

I'm Large and ride a 143, although a larger board is not necessarily easier to break loose. Just get'er naked, take those fins off and your problem will be solved.

I am going to pull the fins off. I grew up trick skiing on a single trick and am comfortable on something slippery.

Well your 140 is not too small, it's just on the border. I'd ride finless to see if that fixes it. Regarding size though, moving to a 142/3 might be everything you need to feel more comfortable. I know when I have been on smaller than 142 it just feels unsafe, there's not enough board under me. I've been on Heidi's and I have worried about breaking them when landing.

Edited by tgaugh

If you have the fin on that came with the board, it's no wonder you couldn't break it loose. It's massive. I removed the middle fin and added the Hyperlite .7". Very easy to break it loose, but still tracks pretty well. I'll end up without it as I improve, but I wanted a little more stability until then.

If you have the fin on that came with the board, it's no wonder you couldn't break it loose. It's massive. I removed the middle fin and added the Hyperlite .7". Very easy to break it loose, but still tracks pretty well. I'll end up without it as I improve, but I wanted a little more stability until then.

What he said. After waaay to many attempts, only to faceplant so fast it looked like my board was on a hinge to the water, I pulled the fins & can 180 & 360 all day. This, however was not near as entertaining to the boat riders as the faceplants. The board is really slick that way though. I guess I'm not edging as much as I should be.

I'm 250 lbs (just big boned) and I have a Trip 143 and a 137 Fish.

Love the quote big boned.

6'0" and ride blindside 142 getting ready to buy either the Beyerly 142 or the Murray 144

Get naked!

Clarity here...I don't let Todd get naked when boarding. I am sure he is referring to the fact that he "strips" the board of fins and rides it naked. THE BOARD IS NAKED not Todd. ROFL.gif

Get naked!

Clarity here...I don't let Todd get naked when boarding. I am sure he is referring to the fact that he "strips" the board of fins and rides it naked. THE BOARD IS NAKED not Todd. ROFL.gif

Phew! I was worried for a minute there. Tease.gif

I have an Absolute that we ride and took off the big stock fins and put on some old Hyperlite surfer fins that made the board way more manageable for breaking loose. Small fins help it track, but still rides good.