Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast anti-siphon valve install

jgabel

Hello,

I have a 2004 23 lsv.  The front ballast tank is "auto-filling" when sitting in the lake/water.  I have read on the forums here that an anti-siphon valve from Bakes (link below) will fix the issue but I can't find any guidance on how to do the installation.  Can anyone explain how the install goes on this?  Some pictures would be great!  

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=994

Thanks in advance!

Not much to it.  Just mount that sucker as high as you can and run the hose from the pump into it and out to the tank/bag wherever the pump was going to before. 

The valve in the top lets air in to prevent siphon draining while underway and mounting it high helps prevent passive filling. 

Mine does this too.  i have the valve, bought it much cheaper on amazon btw.  Just havent installed yet. like @vanampsaid, just get it as high as possible(mine is going in the drivers footwell most likely, way up front on the bulkhead, out of sight behind the divider/footrest, whatever it is called.) I actually don't mind the autofilling, as it is always full when we get where we are going, but have to remember to shut the fill valve when draining the tank.  Bigger problem for me is the rear tanks auto drain back through the fill ports.  REALLY need to do it there.  I  currently just close the valves when I get the tanks where I want them.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you guys know that the front and/or mid-ship tank is filling?

On 9/2/2016 at 7:24 AM, SoDakSooner said:

Bigger problem for me is the rear tanks auto drain back through the fill ports.  REALLY need to do it there.  I  currently just close the valves when I get the tanks where I want them.

I'm starting my install tonight -- am I wrong to think that putting some check-valves in the fill lines should prevent this from happening?

4 hours ago, Fffrank said:

How do you guys know that the front and/or mid-ship tank is filling?

I'm starting my install tonight -- am I wrong to think that putting some check-valves in the fill lines should prevent this from happening?

Check valves will work too but some check valves require a lot of pressure to open and can restrict flow.  Then some flapper style require more pressure to stay closed and can develop a memory that will let water slowly trickle the wrong way . 

Im adding a couple new pumps and using check valves instead of anti siphon valves.  I am going to try mounting them vertically so the flapper naturally closes via gravity. 

On 9/17/2016 at 7:29 PM, vanamp said:

Check valves will work too but some check valves require a lot of pressure to open and can restrict flow.  Then some flapper style require more pressure to stay closed and can develop a memory that will let water slowly trickle the wrong way . 

Im adding a couple new pumps and using check valves instead of anti siphon valves.  I am going to try mounting them vertically so the flapper naturally closes via gravity. 

I put check valves on the fill lines and on my vent lines.  Seems to be working great but fill times are HORRIBLE.  Not sure if the check valve is too restrictive (I'm using this style http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks-Worldwide-1-in-PVC-Sch-40-S-x-S-In-Line-Check-Valve-VCKP40E5B/204237838) or if my pumps are just that slow.  They are only 700gph.  I'm guessing to fill one side is about 20-25m.  Painfully slow.

27 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

I put check valves on the fill lines and on my vent lines.  Seems to be working great but fill times are HORRIBLE.  Not sure if the check valve is too restrictive (I'm using this style http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks-Worldwide-1-in-PVC-Sch-40-S-x-S-In-Line-Check-Valve-VCKP40E5B/204237838) or if my pumps are just that slow.  They are only 700gph.  I'm guessing to fill one side is about 20-25m.  Painfully slow.

Those are the spring type which require a lot of pressure to open.  Swap them out with the rubber flapper style and your fill times will improve.