Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

25 LSV Surf Wave

The Hulk

23 hours ago, The Hulk said:

@MadMan i did on mine it was about 12deg. not sure on the 2017 though.. 

some drone shots with some folks in the boat and 750s in the rear, the wave was awesome!

3.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Then goofy would be sick, I ride all four ways both sides , goofy is the schnizzel , I m regular and went goofy the minute I saw it.  Your wave would be sn excellent backside goofy wave 

On September 6, 2016 at 11:49 PM, DarkSide said:

Hulk, dude you have a major first world problem to solve!  Your wave looks great!  However I can relate to your strugles.  Here is a basic question.  Does Your wave get closer to "Ideal" when you have more people on board?  If so solution is simple, www.bombwake.com   If it does not then start playing with other things.  

The 25 is a big freaking boat, getting the hull into the water is not as easy as on a 22' boat.  Have you tried slight bias yet? This is going to sound counter productive, but maybe weighting non surf side a touch heavier.  This would push the convergence side gate DEEPER into the water. I would be currious the results.  The other option is slight (~200lb) bias towards surf side I do this sometimes but the difference is really negligible.  

Put the people on the surf side rail and always go for the slight people list if they are accommodating , always improves either side 

On September 2, 2016 at 11:02 AM, bbattiste247 said:

If I go into my setting on the 7" screen, there is a tab that allows me to calibrate surfgate. I have not messed with it, but I am assuming I can not change the angle of the gate through this.?

No you cant

On August 31, 2016 at 1:51 PM, kerpluxal said:

My thoughts exactly. I have gosurfassist tabs on my boat. They are adjustable, but I never change their settings, I change wedge position and speed to create the wave shape.

@granddaddy55  you need to surf the M235... it blows the G23 away IMO... Although the only G I have surfed thus far is a demo with 10 people on board... wave was way to short and not the impressive to me... I have surfed better Supra waves than the G.

@The Hulk the tabs are bigger. I believe it allows you put more weight in the boat without losing the function of the surfgate (there are post on here where too much ballast rendered the surfgate from functioning properly (as always.. I could be wrong ;))

I'm calling Cowboy Cerrone tomorrow and see if he'll let me on his m235, anyone else you suggest ?

15 hours ago, The Hulk said:

max wedge being 1st click away from stow? I've only trird 2nd and 3rd. didnt think 1st would work unless i get a lot of bow weight 

Am I reading this right, you haven't even TRIED all the different wedge positions?  Obviously, then, you haven't experimented with different combinations of wedge and ballast.  You need to do that before reinventing the wheel.  

1 minute ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Am I reading this right, you haven't even TRIED all the different wedge positions?  Obviously, then, you haven't experimented with different combinations of wedge and ballast.  You need to do that before reinventing the wheel.  

Put it all the way down for once and you get the shorter albeit more jacked up face that you do have to learn how to slide down , try the liquid force happy pill , it does the sliding for you abd finds the wake for you in that recovery that often makes you slap the base of the wave with your hands just to keep your balance to force your self from falling to still standing. your job is to stay on top of the board like skateboarding or a ripstik, it is a very wild ride that slide down!

12 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I'm calling Cowboy Cerrone tomorrow and see if he'll let me on his m235, anyone else you suggest ?

Well... come up to Houston and I will see what I can do.... Although... 2017 mxz wave is looking sick and will be demoing that one soon.... New hull design... and daaammmnnn the wave is a monster with 6 crew and 550 in rear on a crappy private lake...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

ive tried 2nd with limited success without bow weight i've tried it for a quick sec but it just ramped up rpms crazy so not sure if i need more bow weight to try the 1st position with. without bow it was not good just add 300-400rpms for nothing

21 hours ago, NWBU said:

@The Hulk You need to get your wife driving the boat so you can get in the water! She's clearly seeing the better end of your 25 LSV more than you are.

Amen. I think my wife has 3x the hours driving the boat as I do, and she still refuses to dock it in the lift or put it on the trailer! She is better than me at surf driving for sure. And @The Hulk if she is afraid of 11 MPH you need to have her try a barefoot boom just once...

So when it does that, speed up to lengthen.  

Hulk, seriously man, calm down with the hypothetical way to put a man on the moon with your surfgate mods.  No offense, but you clearly have not tinkered enough.  You may well like position 6 with a slower speed.  There are so many options that you haven't (apparently) explored that you need to before you can conclude you can't dial in what you're looking for.  Every wedge position, every tenth of a mile an hour, and every few hundred pounds has an effect.  From the sounds of it, you've explored about 20% of your variables.  TONS more variability left even without bow ballast.  Have fun tomorrow.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

So when it does that, speed up to lengthen.  

Hulk, seriously man, calm down with the hypothetical way to put a man on the moon with your surfgate mods.  No offense, but you clearly have not tinkered enough.  You may well like position 6 with a slower speed.  There are so many options that you haven't (apparently) explored that you need to before you can conclude you can't dial in what you're looking for.  Every wedge position, every tenth of a mile an hour, and every few hundred pounds has an effect.  From the sounds of it, you've explored about 20% of your variables.  TONS more variability left even without bow ballast.  Have fun tomorrow.

need a driver! haha... plan to figure some things out tomorrow afternoon but i'll be light on weight. ....wait.....may have to offer more free beer to retired neighbors to be human ballast! 

Edited by The Hulk
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

need a driver! haha... plan to figure some things out tomorrow afternoon but i'll be light on weight. ....wait.....may have to offer more free beer to retired neighbors to be human ballast! 

I flew into Chicago last night for a couple days of training and will admit to looking up the distance to Fort Wayne to see if I could justify bailing here to "help" you out. Too far though, so hopefully you find someone closer.

Just now, NWBU said:

I flew into Chicago last night for a couple days of training and will admit to looking up the distance to Fort Wayne to see if I could justify bailing here to "help" you out. Too far though, so hopefully you find someone closer.

haha thanks! its in Angola, IN, right off I80/90 & I69

2:30min from downtown chi-town!

• 4 weeks later...

I’m a newbie here, I’ve been saving my pennies for a few years and I’m finally ready to buy a boat for the family and friends…I’m placing my order next week and making my final selections on options.   I’m posting here because I’ve been trying to decide between Wake or Diamond Hull, which is an option that nobody seems to mention when discussing their wake/wave.  When I read other posts specific to hull options, it seems inconclusive as to which hull choice is best for surfing.  

Being a newbie, is the assumption here that everyone buying a new LSV chooses the wake hull?  I’m asking because I can only assume that the hull shape would play into the wave quality.  My local dealer generally orders the Diamond Hull for the LSV's, but the 24MXZ and new M235 both come with Wake specific Hulls only…which is the direction I’m leaning for my 25 because I assume it assists in creating a better wave and wake.

Other than the potential for skiing, does anyone have any reason I should choose a Diamond Hull instead of a Wake Hull?

ahopkins22LSV

Most people can't tell the difference between wake and diamond hull for surf and wakeboard wake performance. And I'm not sure what kind of skiing you are into but I don't think either hills are going to make that much difference in the 25 either. 

Thanks ahop, I'm actually not looking to ski but it's the only reason I've heard to buy with a diamond hull.  And with all the tuning people discuss on this forum, overlooking the hull choice seems odd from an engineering and product differentiation perspective.  But I'm the newb here...I'm going to order with the wake hull unless there's a significant price difference, or unless someone can give me a reason not to order withe the wake hull.  Thanks again...I can't wait to join the club and begin posting pics.

I didn't even know u could get a diamond in the 25??? Even if you could I would try and hide that info at resale time! Nobody getting a 25 plans on skiing much.. however inserting enough if u puy the wedge in lift mode it might give a 20ft ski boat a decent challenge! My rep was saying that the guys from the factory do this and they salom behind the 25 like it's a ski boat although he just briefly showed me real quick I'm not sure when the alarm goes off if you hit it once to exit and you're okay or if he keeps yelling at you I haven't tried again

Edited by The Hulk

Hulk - thanks for the extra support on the hull choice.  The 2016 brochure said Wake Plus only, but their site shows the Diamond as an option.  I actually argued with the dealer about it because I didn't think Diamond was an option either.  I see you have the same boat, any options you recommend or any you could skip next time?

4 hours ago, Zinger said:

Hulk - thanks for the extra support on the hull choice.  The 2016 brochure said Wake Plus only, but their site shows the Diamond as an option.  I actually argued with the dealer about it because I didn't think Diamond was an option either.  I see you have the same boat, any options you recommend or any you could skip next time?

Love mine first if All... Options.. tough.

If go with the 450hp and upgrade to G4 tower with PTMs over stripping down to get the 575. I believe 5yrs from now the G4 will prevail in resale.. could be wrong but as many have said it was time for something new after all these g3.x years.

4 rev 8s or two rev 10s . Some claim 2 10s is better.. got me.. or two 8s and two 10s. 

I'd get some flake paint etc.. if I were to order mine or build new I would have deleted several thousand in trailer upgrades since I use mine 2x a year.. and put that money into other things..

I'm adding dual heaters and shower upon winterizing.. id definitely do dual heaters it add em layer if u are in a budget.. 

I'd have your dealer include the custom WM 700-750 bags PNP for the deal.. also ask them if they can plumb another through hull fill pump on each rear and additional drain pump.. they are needed!

I'd get the foam non slip too deck traction.. I'm adding it in a few weeks.. ni more busting it getting in and out when ladies slick it up with baby oil ?.

If u can afford the 575hp then by all means go for it! But I'd prefer G4 over that any day now that the gearboxes have been changed yet again for 2017. 

Make your dealer TEST a few props with u to see what u like.. I made the mistake of leaving without getting to test the one I wanted.. and regret it because as ithought ...it is the one I need @$@$@  $550 mistake... so make sure they have a few props there in site before u even go there.

Take your board and crew for test drive day and get educated on everything. Get it dialed in..Too few ppl spend enough time learning their boats on demo day myself included.. take your wife and have her learn too for some reason they will take the dealer more serious than you????... 

Surf wise with the 25 it's pretty hard to mess up .. it's easy set it and forget it kind of boat..

Don't forget to check drain plugs when u bring it back home.. many dealers. Always take them out when they remove a boat.. if they clean it up before u take it home just check again before dropping in! 

Got any pics of the build? if any options your contemplating post it here and the crew will help!

Hulk - thank you for the thorough response!

I'm going with the 450, I'm sure the 575 is better but its hard to justify the additional expense...maybe for my next boat, although that one might have an electric Tesla motor (ha).  I think you're right on the G4 tower, but again its hard to justify the expense over the 3.5, the 3.5 has a similar looking base, improved release, and it has the standard bar so I can easily attach the PTM tower mirror (a selected option) - which I've read is not an option with the G4 and the only negative.

I love big sound from the speakers but my family and some friends wont want to blast it as much as me.  I'll look at the 10's, as of now I'm planning 1 set of the Rev8's with horns, and of course adding the 12in sub.  And even though I'm choosing the 3.5 tower, I'm opting for the PTM Clamping Spinner board racks.  I'm adding the bow ballast and I'll talk to the dealer about a deal on the additional rear ballasts, but due to cost, I might hold off on the additional plumbing for rapid fill and drain - great suggestions and probably my first upgrade.

I'll have the 3 port heater installed and I'll later upgrade with the additional ports if I find that I'm using it a lot.  I'm going with the soft-grip flooring, and my dealer was proposing that I have the snaps installed and get the standard flooring too....I'm not sure of the additional cost but it might be nice to have the option.

I've chosen the fender quick release system, the additional cleats upfront, and the lighting options...including the underwater blue transom lights to match the boat.   I also selected the wakeview bench seat, and although I've selected the next two options...I'm on the fence on whether they're worth it...some people I've spoken with really like them:

* Power Lift Helm Seat, my wife will be driving a lot and I've heard the adjustability is nice for anyone height challenged

* Wideview Backup Camera, I cant imagine that I'd use it much but its one of the cheapest options

I'm skipping the transom stereo remote, I've heard that it gets bumped and played with by the kids, and weathers pretty bad.  The last feature that I haven't added to my build yet because I didn't know it was an option...is Surf Exhaust, similar to FAE systems.  My uncle who is an avid surfer in Washington swears by it and his buddy with an Axis loves it.

I'll figure out how to post the build pictures, basically its a lot of Dark Blue Flake with Dark Blue interior accents, the Blue wraps into the interior and is on the top rail - which someone suggested that I might want to rethink because the top rail might get too hot with the darker color (but imho it looks so good).  I'm trying to decide between a White or Blue Tower, and Black or White speakers.

In regards to the trailer, I considered the triaxle and alternative heavy duty options.  But the triaxle is NOT rated for additional weight and although it looks good, its just additional tires to replace - some might argue less frequent replacement because of the distributed weight but I don't plan on driving that much.  My only trailer upgrade is the transom step and slimline LED. Otherwise its stock. 

I'm sure most of my posts will be a lot shorter...but this is the big decision for me and one I've been struggling to narrow down.  First deciding new or used, then Malibu, the new Centurion Ri, MC, or Nautique G23....I've narrowed it down and now deciding on all the options is tough.  I feel like I'm remodeling my house again ;-)

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Edited by Zinger

I have ordered mine with the power seat.  Looking forward to having that.  

I don't think the rear cam has much of a point, but like you said it wasn't relatively much more so I through it in......

I am also excited for the Command Wheel.  My wife and I found the touch screen and the joystick to be touchy and I hope the wheel is an improvement.  

We did order the surf pipe after our last boat didn't have it.  

congrats on the order and can't wait to see pics!

3 minutes ago, TheRockofMaryland said:

I have ordered mine with the power seat.  Looking forward to having that.  

I don't think the rear cam has much of a point, but like you said it wasn't relatively much more so I through it in......

I am also excited for the Command Wheel.  My wife and I found the touch screen and the joystick to be touchy and I hope the wheel is an improvement.  

We did order the surf pipe after our last boat didn't have it.  

congrats on the order and can't wait to see pics!

Thanks Rocky!  I was considering the command center wheel, I'll speak to the dealer about it...but I assumed it was an expensive and redundant option and I assumed it wasn't needed with all the other options.  Are you still ordering the joystick?

5 minutes ago, Zinger said:

Thanks Rocky!  I was considering the command center wheel, I'll speak to the dealer about it...but I assumed it was an expensive and redundant option and I assumed it wasn't needed with all the other options.  Are you still ordering the joystick?

I did order the joystick, but really only because the dealer told me people would want it on resale.  I hate that I am ordering something based on resale, yet every time I look at a used boat or car i ALWAYS wish it was pretty loaded.  

I did this as well with the speakers.  I had the G4 tower on my 2016 and hit my head on the stupid tower speakers all the time, but still ordered the second set on the new boat.  

1 hour ago, Zinger said:

Hulk - thank you for the thorough response!

I'm going with the 450, I'm sure the 575 is better but its hard to justify the additional expense...maybe for my next boat, although that one might have an electric Tesla motor (ha).  I think you're right on the G4 tower, but again its hard to justify the expense over the 3.5, the 3.5 has a similar looking base, improved release, and it has the standard bar so I can easily attach the PTM tower mirror (a selected option) - which I've read is not an option with the G4 and the only negative.

I love big sound from the speakers but my family and some friends wont want to blast it as much as me.  I'll look at the 10's, as of now I'm planning 1 set of the Rev8's with horns, and of course adding the 12in sub.  And even though I'm choosing the 3.5 tower, I'm opting for the PTM Clamping Spinner board racks.  I'm adding the bow ballast and I'll talk to the dealer about a deal on the additional rear ballasts, but due to cost, I might hold off on the additional plumbing for rapid fill and drain - great suggestions and probably my first upgrade.

I'll have the 3 port heater installed and I'll later upgrade with the additional ports if I find that I'm using it a lot.  I'm going with the soft-grip flooring, and my dealer was proposing that I have the snaps installed and get the standard flooring too....I'm not sure of the additional cost but it might be nice to have the option.

I've chosen the fender quick release system, the additional cleats upfront, and the lighting options...including the underwater blue transom lights to match the boat.   I also selected the wakeview bench seat, and although I've selected the next two options...I'm on the fence on whether they're worth it...some people I've spoken with really like them:

* Power Lift Helm Seat, my wife will be driving a lot and I've heard the adjustability is nice for anyone height challenged

* Wideview Backup Camera, I cant imagine that I'd use it much but its one of the cheapest options

I'm skipping the transom stereo remote, I've heard that it gets bumped and played with by the kids, and weathers pretty bad.  The last feature that I haven't added to my build yet because I didn't know it was an option...is Surf Exhaust, similar to FAE systems.  My uncle who is an avid surfer in Washington swears by it and his buddy with an Axis loves it.

I'll figure out how to post the build pictures, basically its a lot of Dark Blue Flake with Dark Blue interior accents, the Blue wraps into the interior and is on the top rail - which someone suggested that I might want to rethink because the top rail might get too hot with the darker color (but imho it looks so good).  I'm trying to decide between a White or Blue Tower, and Black or White speakers.

In regards to the trailer, I considered the triaxle and alternative heavy duty options.  But the triaxle is NOT rated for additional weight and although it looks good, its just additional tires to replace - some might argue less frequent replacement because of the distributed weight but I don't plan on driving that much.  My only trailer upgrade is the transom step and slimline LED. Otherwise its stock. 

I'm sure most of my posts will be a lot shorter...but this is the big decision for me and one I've been struggling to narrow down.  First deciding new or used, then Malibu, the new Centurion Ri, MC, or Nautique G23....I've narrowed it down and now deciding on all the options is tough.  I feel like I'm remodeling my house again ;-)

Thanks again for all the feedback!

two Rev 8's will be fine and they are LOUD its just a matter of how deaf you wanna go nowadays.. 

Snap out carpet is what i have with a cheap $50 battery powered vacuum cleaner: works great: i cant decide if i like the teak deckadance stuff they use now or not... .

Power Lift seat: sorry forgot about that one but yes its a MUST! especially with the women!

Backup camera: i show people mine and thats the extent of it ...hardly use it but mine came with it...cool but the camera is not that great slightly delayed and poor resolution IMO so i would do a delete on that:

Mirror: i miss my tower mirror but i also hated it at times... ive got the window PTM clamp mirror that should be in sometime soon. we'll see how it goes....yes i agree its the only downside to a g4.

Transom remote: i have had them on both my boats and like it for being at the sandbar: i think they are like $350... it can very quickly and easily be added later.. if your sandbaring a lot you might want it, but if you dont chill at a sandbar all day then forget it.. 

Surf Pipe: if your looking to make it quiter maybe..i have mixed feelings on adding it if you have enough weight its not a big deal IMO... plus on a 25 you surf way further back making it less of an issue IMO... personal preference i guess. 

top deck color: if your worried about it being hot get the top deck track pads/foam stuff which is black anyways.. 

all the towers i have seen are always black: my boat was the first one id seen in person with white and i love it..."different" and it just looks super clean with my boat color scheme... 

if your trailer a lot then get black because bugs on white SUCKS!!! they blend in with black much nicer! haha. also one thing i love about the G4 is locking down for trailering i trailer only a few hrs a year for service and winterization but i freaking hate cleaning bugs off a tower...swear i can clean the whole boat quicker than a tower and bugs.. for the round bar part of a g3.5 i would keep chrome for that reason alone smoother/easier to clean than powder coated texture finish...

yea i was exactly like you:: G23, or 23 LSV, gave Centurion a quick looks but didnt want to get hosed on resale around here.. i'm sure they will get better with time but still felt like they were over-priced for the name/brand although their waves are legit from what i read..i also thought the Ri color schemes and patterns are kind of blaaa looking.. . long story short the 25 is legit as well....now that there is a 25'7" Ri257...may have to consider that in 5yrs when my warranty is up...but who knows what Bu will have by then as well.. 

when your spending this kind of money it is kind of like house shopping in all honesty! nickle and dime ya to death on options.. 

G3.5 is nice and the best one yet by FAR! but not locking down during trailering was what sold me. i also dont like speakers in the head space on the G3.5 and that i cant swing boards in all the way to clear my lift> now that the new ones have bimini top that can hold boards its less of an issue.. and you can always add PTMs to your G3.5 but at that point go G4.

command center wheel: whats the upgrade cost on this? how many of the same buttons do you need? looks cool but i'm guessing they probably charge a ton for it?

sounds like an awesome build! 

Edited by The Hulk