Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

25 LSV Surf Wave

The Hulk

Hulk, dude you have a major first world problem to solve!  Your wave looks great!  However I can relate to your strugles.  Here is a basic question.  Does Your wave get closer to "Ideal" when you have more people on board?  If so solution is simple, www.bombwake.com   If it does not then start playing with other things.  

The 25 is a big freaking boat, getting the hull into the water is not as easy as on a 22' boat.  Have you tried slight bias yet? This is going to sound counter productive, but maybe weighting non surf side a touch heavier.  This would push the convergence side gate DEEPER into the water. I would be currious the results.  The other option is slight (~200lb) bias towards surf side I do this sometimes but the difference is really negligible.  

• Like 2

@95echelon 

your correct I need more weight! when i have 7+ people the wave is far firmer back where the pocket is and im able to do some tricks grinds and better jumps going 11.1-11.3mph. when im light on weight it's too mushy to really  pop off the wave as much that far back so i slow down to achieve getting closer, but going a bit slower doesn't help the firmness it hurts but being closer does and sometimes too steep.. so it's a catch 22. less deflection would allow wave to be closer without sacrificing speed. sorry to say it but this is an EPIC FAIL on  Malibus part. they invented SG now they are the only boat without adjustable tabs? it would help to deflect less or more to adjust depending on how your weighted. don't get me wrong either it's still the best and longest wave ever!.

less deflection should make it shorter but also more narrow from left to right. one thing ppl are missing is how freaking WIDE this wave is.. yea it's LONG but u can surf way out to sides and back. there are times I look back and im like how are u surfing out there there is no wave right behind you. not to mention the wave itself from top of the prop wash area out <area where u see prop thrust under water out>. the pocket is all around crazy big but super wide and very long.

I am seriously having issues with my 360s, hard to stop so I'm nailing 720s to what may now seem easier to do than 360s .. weird i know... crazy as it may sound but this wave just pushes u from the back and u have room to spare. 

I also found I have to come foward more and slightly slower to get some jumps off the wave but here is what I found. on other boats waves the left to right is so narrow u can just do a quick turn out from wave then back in towards the crest and get a quick pop. on this boat u need to go further out then really come at it for 2 reasons. 1. the wave is much wider left to right. 2. the wave is taller so u have to attack it much harder and bring it since your going up-hill or u wont have enough speed to pop off the wave as in other boats. one last 1ST WORLD PROBLEM is now when you land you are sliding down that wave which is something I'm not use to vs just landing to what use to seem mostly level surface towards bottom of wave. but now it's sliding down the wave because it's so wide. and I need to get use to that. 

Anyhow all I'm saying is can u imagine a 747 only getting either 0% flap or 100% flap and no adjustability.. that would be nuts.. same thing here on this giant craft IMO.   do a software update malibu!!!!  give us 3 or 4 positions!!!

@95echelon id love to try it and post pics, i have this friday ad sat coming up to test, then ill be overseas for a few weeks. I will pm you for my FedEx and UPS acct #. and I'll get ya paid. question do u think keeping the gate larger with less deflection angle is better vs smaller size? I'm comparing the suck gates I've seen which all seem to be about 25%  surface area as surf gate tabs? 

also why doesn't someone read this thread and make POWER suck GATES! i see now on facebook there must be 10 versions of companies making suck gates. if I didn't have SG boat id make one. just make 2 and put one on each side of boat with a cig plug to 12v power or something and some lencos on an so those guys could try transfers at the Flip of a button. Heck even a Lenco trim tab switch has like 10 adjustable positions via mechanical switch but my fancy touch screen doesn't!!!

hmmm any of u wizards thinking what I'm thinking? why not use one of those Lenco switches in conjunction with the dash? the Bu screen is just 0 or 100% right so couldn't u add Lenco switch after the dash signal. so dash surf button is just like the on button. for left or right then u I have to use mechanical Lenco switch to set deflection amount? am i crazy or on to something here?

3 ppl in on boat with 800 lbs bow bag that is on Center play pin floor. 11.1mph. not bad but without thr extra 800lbs. not as good. need ppl or water foor sure. 

rps20160906_060612.jpg

6 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Hulk, dude you have a major first world problem to solve!  Your wave looks great!  However I can relate to your strugles.  Here is a basic question.  Does Your wave get closer to "Ideal" when you have more people on board?  If so solution is simple, www.bombwake.com   If it does not then start playing with other things.  

The 25 is a big freaking boat, getting the hull into the water is not as easy as on a 22' boat.  Have you tried slight bias yet? This is going to sound counter productive, but maybe weighting non surf side a touch heavier.  This would push the convergence side gate DEEPER into the water. I would be currious the results.  The other option is slight (~200lb) bias towards surf side I do this sometimes but the difference is really negligible.  

u may be on to something about heavier on non surf side I'll need to comfirm on some video as I remember having a lot of ppl on nom surf side and wave was great but I didnt move ppl over as i was like whatever sit where u want. I'll need to run a test on that when om out next bht great idea @DarkSide

normally a few 100lbs ddifference seems to be negligible in this boat. but I remember once being 800 lbs bias towards non surf side and it was still great very good but I can't confirm we had 13ppl so how could it not be good.. but ill try to confirm with the next crowd and have em shift.. 

27 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

also why doesn't someone read this thread and make POWER suck GATES! i see now on facebook there must be 10 versions of companies making suck gates. if I didn't have SG boat id make one. just make 2 and put one on each side of boat with a cig plug to 12v power or something and some lencos on an so those guys could try transfers at the Flip of a button. Heck even a Lenco trim tab switch has like 10 adjustable positions via mechanical switch but my fancy touch screen doesn't!!!

I would do this except suck gates attach to the side of the boat, so even retracted, the would be disturbing the water flow.  This would destroy the surf wave on the side you are trying to surf.

2 minutes ago, MadMan said:

I would do this except suck gates attach to the side of the boat, so even retracted, the would be disturbing the water flow.  This would destroy the surf wave on the side you are trying to surf.

well maybe one on gate side at least ?Then people my be able to make the dimensions bigger and use less or more deflection 

16 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

This is how the slippery slope begins.....you add extra ballast to get the same wave you had with 13 people when you only have 4.  Then the unthinkable happens, you have extra ballast AND 13 people.   Add weight until wave STOPS IMPROVING.  

The key is the non riding human ballast except I don't have 2419 prop yet so I have a limit of 4 properly placed people, 2 in nose ,driver and passenger in cabin on goofy side  , or passenger on regular fie regular,(plus one more person maybe) until new prop we start struggling for  enough propulsion to push the bigger load and improve the wave

Edited by granddaddy55
47 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

The key is the non riding human ballast except I don't have 2419 prop yet so I have a limit of 4 properly placed people, 2 in nose ,driver and passenger in cabin on goofy side  , or passenger on regular fie regular,(plus one more person maybe) until new prop we start struggling for  enough propulsion to push the bigger load and improve the wave

yea bags are cheaper! leaves more time for me to surf and less beer to supply! 

• Like 2

rps20160906_212448.jpg

rps20160903_000447.jpg

bottom pic is a 2016 with 15" top is a 2017 with 17", not good angles to show difference in angles but it's Pro a my 5 deg more on 17s if i had to gurss.

Edited by The Hulk
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Is it just me or is my 23 LSV wave longer than the 25 above...?

Granted I have a bow triangle sack... but I've been considering a 25 next year and Hulk's pics are giving me pause...

Capture_zpsqoeequkv.jpg

That's a dialed 23 footer wave tho. I'd like to see what you could do with a 25. No doubt in my mind that you gain at least a couple feet. Sounds like the hulk is a bit of a squirrel and doesn't have the patience to truly dial things in.  Considering to modify surf gates before spending an afternoon and a couple extra sacs to dial things in is just ludicrous imho. And wanting to shorten the wave?  That's just plain cra cra. 

the ladies were going slow around 10.6-10.8, it gets a lot longer in the 11.1-11.3mph range, if i can find a driver this weekend then i'll be able to surf and get some more shots at faster speeds to compare. 

@isellacuras come drive my boat so i can get it dialed in! it would be nice to get to surf once in a while! Remember hulk supplies free surfing/gas/beer!

WM said the  custom 750s in the rear lockers that look like upside down "T" are actually 700's and are the largest custom bag for the 25 currently, but that there is 50" between the fill/drain ports so that you can add one of these bags if you want. https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-rear-lbs-ballast-bag.html

i'll probably go with one of the larger ones then utilize my 1k bow bag to compensate after doing the @IXFE bow plumb. 

Edited by The Hulk
ahopkins22LSV

@IXFE welcome to the party. We started this party with @The Hulk posting a super long clean nice lipped looking wave and he asked how to make it shorter :dontknow: 

Sorry Hulk, lol just giving you a hard time. :Tease3: It does look like you were able to achieve most of what you were looking for with speed and wedge adjustments though.

• Like 2

@The Hulk If you need a driver I am occasionally down at the lake (probably 45 min from you) during the week. I work from there and do projects sometimes. I wont be back until 1.5 weeks from now though. I would bring my board and some suck gates to try. I also have a 1000 pound bow sack and a 400lb extra sack to try.

@95echelon awesome! ill be there Friday and sat say then back after the 27th. ill pm u when i get back. 

37 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Speed up and add wedge IMO to improve your wife's wave.  

I try then I get yelled at for going faster.. told her she needs to get use to the 11s! she's too slow 10.6-10.8 and 3rd wedge pos instead on 2nd. I'll try to get some video of my wave tomorrow or Friday

31 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

max wedge and go 11.2 for her based on the shape and size I saw in the video...or at least try it....my time in the 25 is very limited.

max wedge being 1st click away from stow? I've only trird 2nd and 3rd. didnt think 1st would work unless i get a lot of bow weight 

Edited by The Hulk
4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

@95echelon awesome! ill be there Friday and sat say then back after the 27th. ill pm u when i get back. 

I try then I get yelled at for going faster.. told her she needs to get use to the 11s! she's too slow 10.6-10.8 and 3rd wedge pos instead on 2nd. I'll try to get some video of my wave tomorrow or Friday

If you want shorter snd higher 9.8-10.4, full wedge