Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

25 LSV Surf Wave

The Hulk

In your picture, the area that you are trying to "shorten" or remove is caused by the wedge.  When explaining to others why I do not run the wedge when surfing, I say the wedge creates a "double" lip - this weird transition area.  If you run the wedge stowed, it should remove that transition and make it smoother for what you are trying to achieve.  Post pictures after you play around with it all!

4 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Let's say you could adjust the gates.  Bringing them in closer or to the stowed position would flatten the wave in my mind.  The boat is weighed evenly, so reducing the amount of water deflection from the non-surf side would just wash out the wave.  I don't see how incremental adjustments would make a steeper face.  Maybe the DIY suck gate guys can chime in on this one.  

That is how the NSS works on Nautiques.  The plate that sticks out to the side is adjustable and would do exactly what he is describing.  It also tends to flatten the wave the farther it sticks out.  So he is on to something about making the surfgate tabs adjustable.  I am pretty sure if you could adjust the surfgate, it would have the same effect.  

But like others have said, his wave is looking pretty awesome the way it is.  

I wonder about playing with a little bit of list.  Putting an extra 400 pounds on the surf side would also probably do the trick without losing length or height.  The boat would still be pretty close to level.  

I am struggling with the opposite problem on my Nautique...I would like to flatten the wave a little and push that prop wash a little more away from me.  

3 hours ago, IXFE said:

Freaking brilliant @85 Barefoot

I gotta say, this thread is beyond bizarre... Who buys the LONGEST boat in the industry then complains the wave needs to be SHORTER???

IXFE confused... :dontknow:

I absolutely love it.  It's so "hulk" isn't it.

Hulk is the only guy I know that has to tinker with everything but it is great.  Makes you think outside the box IMO

4 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

draining has always been slower than filling for me thats just the nature of the beast for plug and play however even with screaming kids whats the big deal they can drain while you're cruising home or you can drain while you're putting on lift note that doesn't mean lift it when its full it means you can lift enough to hold boat then drain you can always run an extra pump on each side if you wanted as to amount surfgate opens I don't see why you'd want to do that you haven't finished experimenting with speed and wedge and ballast location with just stock surf gate you could easily move the curl 10 feet forward or back almost just with wedge keep in mind in other boats with movable surf systems they don't have the wedge which has a much bigger effect also you're speed will have a huge effect on push and shape bottom line is you are overthinking this if you spent  as much time testing and tweaking as you are trying to reengineer something that was engineered the way it was for a reason you could get whatever wave you want just experiment more and worry less thats a great looking wave that you can easily tweak to your personal preferences that's a better wave than ever existed not long ago and people were doing backside big spins and shuv 5's just ride for screaming kids let them drive the boat home they'll be quiet quick I can't understand what you're trying to eliminate and why as you surf on the face not the break anyway and if you don't like surfing further back then use the gas pedal which is your front foot and surf closer to the boat if you want to do that and add some edge and slow the boat down that will keep you closer to the boat bottom line is with probably 10000 surfgated boats out there youre the first to want to use the gates to as another variable and there is already more than enough customability with wedge ballast and speed have fun 

I couldn't even make it through all that.

I concede. 85 wins.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

I couldn't even make it through all that.

I concede. 85 wins.

I'm sure the run on sentences were driving you crazy

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
  • Like 3
Just now, Chrisjjbrown said:

I'm sure the run on sentences were driving you crazy

Sentence. Singular. 

As in one. 

I actually got an anxiety attack. 

85 wins.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

draining has always been slower than filling for me thats just the nature of the beast for plug and play however even with screaming kids whats the big deal they can drain while you're cruising home or you can drain while you're putting on lift note that doesn't mean lift it when its full it means you can lift enough to hold boat then drain you can always run an extra pump on each side if you wanted as to amount surfgate opens I don't see why you'd want to do that you haven't finished experimenting with speed and wedge and ballast location with just stock surf gate you could easily move the curl 10 feet forward or back almost just with wedge keep in mind in other boats with movable surf systems they don't have the wedge which has a much bigger effect also you're speed will have a huge effect on push and shape bottom line is you are overthinking this if you spent  as much time testing and tweaking as you are trying to reengineer something that was engineered the way it was for a reason you could get whatever wave you want just experiment more and worry less thats a great looking wave that you can easily tweak to your personal preferences that's a better wave than ever existed not long ago and people were doing backside big spins and shuv 5's just ride for screaming kids let them drive the boat home they'll be quiet quick I can't understand what you're trying to eliminate and why as you surf on the face not the break anyway and if you don't like surfing further back then use the gas pedal which is your front foot and surf closer to the boat if you want to do that and add some edge and slow the boat down that will keep you closer to the boat bottom line is with probably 10000 surfgated boats out there youre the first to want to use the gates to as another variable and there is already more than enough customability with wedge ballast and speed have fun 

Must have been translated from German - without punctuation :shocked:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Ummm......

I tried.

You win...

made it through the first 2 lines and blew it off.....

love it. I guess I'm somewhat misunderstood not really wanting the whole wave shorter but the top curl firmer or closer so that it would be firmer to pop off the wave to jump or get more air. the cruel is so far back it's hard to pop off the wave, if i get closer to boat where its firmer to pop off the wave there is no curl there to get any pop since it's flat. hope that makes more sense. if i slow down it got pretty steep. I'm anxiousto try more weight and wedge adjustment this weekend just trying to get some advice on what all to try out. do t get me wrong i love it.. it's awesome im not complaining just want to get more pop off the wave and get it dialed in

@85 Barefoot i do drain on way back and resting on lift now but there is still a ton of water left if i dont drive for seveal mins with bbow rise to get al the water out.

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 1

Hulk the lip is still there.  You drew it in your picture.  It's just clean on the other side of the lip instead of prop-washy

My wave looks the same as yours (though not near as long) and I can get air off it no problem.

• Like 2

it seems when i try to pop off that area it's too flat and i end up in the prop wash. ive only surfed 3 times behind this thing so again I have a lot more "testing" / fun surfing to do and playing with wedge , speed and weight.. its killing me waiting for the weekend!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

the lip is under the flat part.  if you are up on top on the "flat part" you are over/past the lip.

shawn exactly. when I'm in the area firm enough that lip is less steep so when i try to jump i don't get much pop and kinda just fall over onto the prop wash. if i go back further where i fwel the wave curl spot i use to jump on my old boat was then im crazy far back. so just wanting to know what adjustment to make to make the lip steeper closer to boat but NOT necessarily make the wave crazy tall by shortening the whole wave.. hard to explain 

I know exactly what you mean.  The 4ish feet between the front of the wave and the swim platform is just not really that surfable.  Lots of boats are like that.  Nothing to complain about when you have a really long wave.  just surf the "back" 2/3 of the wave and call it a day.  Plenty of room.

8 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

In your picture, the area that you are trying to "shorten" or remove is caused by the wedge.  When explaining to others why I do not run the wedge when surfing, I say the wedge creates a "double" lip - this weird transition area.  If you run the wedge stowed, it should remove that transition and make it smoother for what you are trying to achieve.  Post pictures after you play around with it all!

sorry missed this I'll try and take sime pics

9 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Deardraining has always been slower than filling for me thats just the nature of the beast for plug and play however even with screaming kids whats the big deal they can drain while you're cruising home or you can drain while you're putting on lift note that doesn't mean lift it when its full it means you can lift enough to hold boat then drain you can always run an extra pump on each side if you wanted as to amount surfgate opens I don't see why you'd want to do that you haven't finished experimenting with speed and wedge and ballast location with just stock surf gate you could easily move the curl 10 feet forward or back almost just with wedge keep in mind in other boats with movable surf systems they don't have the wedge which has a much bigger effect also you're speed will have a huge effect on push and shape bottom line is you are overthinking this if you spent  as much time testing and tweaking as you are trying to reengineer something that was engineered the way it was for a reason you could get whatever wave you want just experiment more and worry less thats a great looking wave that you can easily tweak to your personal preferences that's a better wave than ever existed not long ago and people were doing backside big spins and shuv 5's just ride for screaming kids let them drive the boat home they'll be quiet quick I can't understand what you're trying to eliminate and why as you surf on the face not the break anyway and if you don't like surfing further back then use the gas pedal which is your front foot and surf closer to the boat if you want to do that and add some edge and slow the boat down that will keep you closer to the boat bottom line is with probably 10000 surfgated boats out there youre the first to want to use the gates to as another variable and there is already more than enough customability with wedge ballast and speed have fun 

Dear sweet baby Jesus......

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

love it. I guess I'm somewhat misunderstood not really wanting the whole wave shorter but the top curl firmer or closer so that it would be firmer to pop off the wave to jump or get more air. the cruel is so far back it's hard to pop off the wave, if i get closer to boat where its firmer to pop off the wave there is no curl there to get any pop since it's flat. hope that makes more sense. if i slow down it got pretty steep. I'm anxiousto try more weight and wedge adjustment this weekend just trying to get some advice on what all to try out. do t get me wrong i love it.. it's awesome im not complaining just want to get more pop off the wave and get it dialed in

@85 Barefoot i do drain on way back and resting on lift now but there is still a ton of water left if i dont drive for seveal mins with bbow rise to get al the water out.

I love you buddy.