Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

25 LSV Surf Wave

The Hulk

is there a way to somehow manager how far SG tabs stick out? i feel that it should be adjustable like the wedge IMO. i havent looked into the settings to see if it is does anyone know?

My friend has a 2012 MX and his wave is obviously not as tall or long and wasnt that great but then he added Suck Gate and it cleaned up nicely. its short but firm. 

i have only surfed a handful of times behind my boat, while its about impossible to fall out of the long wave i'm looking to make it shorter for some other kind of tricks and figured if the tabs were adjustable to reduce SG affect it would help with that

pic of my wave with wifey surfin. 

2016 25 LSV, wedge 3rd position, 750s in the back, 8-9 people in boat (NO Bow bag) but 1 person in the front.

i'd like to see if there is a way to adjust to bring the "curl" closer to the boat so to speak

emsurf1.jpg

emsurf2.jpg

Try slowing down. Also, little to no bow weight. I'm not sure how short of a wave that beast will make, but the wave you have already is awesome!!

• Like 2

Just starting to look at putting my order in for a new 23 LSV next year and that wave is making me have second thoughts!!!!! 

• Like 3

Try it with the wedge all the way up (stowed).  There have been a handful of times this season that I have forgot to drop the wedge and while I lost some push, it made the wave steep as can be with shorter pocket length.  I learned this after going back and watching the video and seeing how much steeper it was.  Just a suggestion.

use speed (slower)  and wedge (more)  to bring the curl forward.  

but like others have alluded, why? 

Just now, wedge88 said:

Try it with the wedge all the way up (stowed).  There have been a handful of times this season that I have forgot to drop the wedge and while I lost some push, it made the wave steep as can be with shorter pocket length.  I learned this after going back and watching the video and seeing how much steeper it was.  Just a suggestion.

Power wedge is not an all or nothing thing.  If he wants a shorter wave, bring the wedge up (not all the way up) for more drag which will get his nose up and move the curl toward boat.

Is this the first time someone has ever asked to make a shorter wave?  I think history has just been made.  I also agree that more weight in the lockers and/or slower speed should do the trick.  Maybe you can have a couple buddies seat on the step/seat things on the very back of the boat and a couple more on the sunpad to try it out.  Just like in real eastate...location location location

• Like 3
2 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Use 1100's in the back.  More rear weight tends to jack up the wave.  You have a 25LSV, it can take the weight. 

It better, I run 1100's in my 23 LSV

• Like 3
3 hours ago, wakedncsu said:

Is this the first time someone has ever asked to make a shorter wave?  I think history has just been made.  I also agree that more weight in the lockers and/or slower speed should do the trick.  Maybe you can have a couple buddies seat on the step/seat things on the very back of the boat and a couple more on the sunpad to try it out.  Just like in real eastate...location location location

haha yea i guess im the first! i was trying to accomplish making it shorter and less height but pull the crest area over to surf side further via less deflection of SG. the super long wave is awesome! I can do 360s/720s on my 25 where i can not do it on some of the smaller boats/waves, but on some of the smaller/boats waves i'm able to do a sort of grind on the wave top (sliding sideways) "when closer to the boat" but on my super long wave i'm too far back to do this, and where i "could do it" its right over the prop wash so its more difficult and the surface is too wide to do it so it catches my board and down i go. i was thinking if the SG was not at such a huge angle that crest would come over further to the surf side "closer to the boat" so less divergence of the wave so to speak. I may have to test out a much smaller suck gate to test my theory of less deflection allowing less divergence/length etc.. basically making the crest area less wide if that makes sense?

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

i've been surfing 11.0-11.2 via GPS spedo this photo is at about 10.8-11.0 where she likes to surf

4 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Hulk, I don't understand the want for a shorter wave for tricks. Maybe we can just help with the actual trick(s)?

anytime anytime! i could use some crew advise on tricks! i've got room for 18-others crew members!

4 hours ago, KentC said:

Just starting to look at putting my order in for a new 23 LSV next year and that wave is making me have second thoughts!!!!! 

compared to my 2013 23lsv...well i'll stop there there is just no comparing... DO IT!

Edited by The Hulk
8 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Use 1100's in the back.  More rear weight tends to jack up the wave.  You have a 25LSV, it can take the weight. 

is there a custom 1100 for these 25s yet? I assume they should be able to make one since the lockers were laser measured? 

second issue is this new 25lsv with750s already take forever to drain on this boat I swear it tales takes longer to drain than fill this boat. any solutionsto this? has anyone made a sac with 2 drain ports one to go to hard tank and one that's direct to an additional separate drain  pump? and or possibly an additional fill pump? very interested in time reduction solutions that involve nothing more than the Flip of a switch

20 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

is there a custom 1100 for these 25s yet? I assume they should be able to make one since the lockers were laser measured? 

second issue is this new 25lsv with750s already take forever to drain on this boat I swear it tales takes longer to drain than fill this boat. any solutionsto this? has anyone made a sac with 2 drain ports one to go to hard tank and one that's direct to an additional separate drain  pump? and or possibly an additional fill pump? very interested in time reduction solutions that involve nothing more than the Flip of a switch

Queue @DarkSide...

• Like 2

My 1100 plumbed with 1" line to a reversible Johnson = 9 minute and change fill time engine running. Those of us with 23 LSVs are not seeing a full 1100 though. I get the convenience of the PnP but.. Max wedge will shorten the pocket IME with my boat and no wedge = no lip skim wake. Dropping the speed as suggested will do the same and probably better for you with some more weight. The WM plug and play electrical wiring harness and switch options makes wiring as many pumps as you want child's play. Bakes would probably have what you would need as well. Good luck, I wish I had your problems. ?

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

I've got the custom 750's from wakemakers..... and if I burp them well, they put the swim platform about 5 inches underwater on my 25(well... there are 3 or more people on the back also).  They also fill up that space with very little room... will the 1100's fit?

Big wave.  Some have said the bow bag isn't necessary for this boat but when I get the rear loaded, I find 800 lbs in the nose really gets the RPM down.  Quieter ride for sure. pop products.  Haven't tried the @IXFE trick of plumbing the 1000 lb bag upfront but that's what winter is for.

• Like 2

I was surfing a friends 25LSV this weekend. He hasn't been happy with his wave for what the boat is. He has custom 1100's in the trunks (I think they are actually 1150's if memory serves me). They came new that way. Can't remember if the dealer ordered them or they were an actual option on the build sheet. He is like yourself and doesn't run any added weight up front. He likes the wave when there are lots of people in the boat but is not impressed when there are only a couple people in the boat. They all surf goofy. He is actually wanting a longer wave. I convinced him to grab a 1200 for the bow this week. He is going to try that. I'm sure it will give him what he wants. It is insane how high the bow rises on that pig when surfing with the wedge. The biggest problem he has right now is that the surf gate is causing a ton of spray. So much that it is coming over to the centre of the wake and actually washing out the wave. Are you experiencing that at all? I feel like the added bow weight will help clear that up. It is an absolutely beautiful machine. And it's a beast. Seems like it's really designed to be slammed. I can't believe the freeboard. I would love to sack the heck out of that thing and see what it could really do. I'd bet it would take 5000lbs over stock to even make it look like you were starting to put weight in it. 

In your case I would slow down to 10.4-10.6 mph. From there start playing with the wedge to get the shape you like. Simply adding more wedge could also hinder the wave so be careful. I'll agree that the wave is definitely different behind that boat. It seemed long and flat. If you like steep I can understand where you're coming from. Adding more weight to the rear would likely give you the result you're looking for. Next time out put all your crew in the back and see what you think. Seeing over the bow to see where you're driving will be a chore. If it were me I'd be looking at adding a bow sac. That should restore a more natural angle for your driveline. From there I'd bet you can run more wedge to get the steepness you're looking for but now it'll likely be a cleaner wave. Just my $.02 but I'm definitely not the best guy for wave advice. As with any boat, you should take a half day to experiment without a rider behind the boat. I know a lot of guys that don't do this and never get their wave dialed in as a result. 

In regards to the rear bags draining, I'd add reversibles to them and completely separate the PnP's from the MLS. Vent them out the side and never look back... literally. 

Edited by MaliWop
  • Like 2

Wave looks really good.  Lots of push, even for bigger guys.

i see that and think you should speed up 11.4-11.6?

theres a lot of wave there... Enough to even draw it out even more. 

• Like 2

Hulk, I plumbed 2000 GPH secondary fill pumps in line.  I use relays with the factory pump as the trigger.  This way they work through the touch screen.  I fill in just under 5 minutes, drain is SLOOOOW! Like 15 minutes slow, but i am roughly 1250 per bag, plus hard tank.  But drain is not as important to me as fill.  

For shorter taller wave, slow down, or increase wedge,  it is hard to get the surf wrong side to get super steep, surf right is much easier 

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1

thanks for all the tips everyone! i'm anxious to get out there this weekend and play around with it, may have to wake up at 6am and head out before the kiddos are awake and do some playing around. i have a 1k bow sac i will throw up front. i was hesitant to use this when someone else is driving so they dont dip the nose, while this beast seems like it can handle a ton more weight i still feel the nose is dipable at least when i'm in the water and seeing someone else drive who is less cautious on the nose than i am at times. 

with a 1.5yr and 3.5yr old in the boat its a hard age since they get ancy and filling/draining time is critical. when we head out and the kids are past their limit when its time to go well... its time to go! so driving back and forth in front of the cottage which maybe is 10-15mins can seem like 1hr with a screaming kid or two haha.

@dppendar1100-1200s: im guessing they could possibly fit, the custom 750s seem like a good fit but there seems to me at least there is room left on top and the sides that "could" be filled. The only way i would even consider this is possibly separating from MLS as mliwop suggested or somehow plump in extra drain pump and while i'm at it i would be dumb not to consider an extra fill pump.

i was actually considering some bags about 12"wide x 10"tall x 5ft Long along the side lockers in the lower/deeper part of the storage to possibly spread the weight out a bit and plump them to a reversable but a lot of you are saying go bigger in the back and add the bow. Winter project will Darksides bow plumb setup. I have a 1k bow sac so should i get someting less or just fill this thing less than full?

@MaliWop can you ask him what bag he is using ? it must have taken forever to fill/drain unless he had additional pumps if you can ask? witht he 750's i feel bow rise was less than my 2013 23lsv (or perhaps this is my super awesome power chair that raises me up so darn high than i'm basically doing a sit/stand with the pull up part of the seat up. (LOVE THIS) so high! so maybe i need to lower the seat down to invision the true bow rise to my old boat in comparison. with 750s it didnt feel bad but thinking about the perspective i'm at being much higher perhaps its more than i'm thinking it is. with 750s the spray from SG i havent even noticed it so possible not and issue with 750s, so if an issue with the 1100-1200 then obviously bow sac should fix it. 

@DarkSide did you cut more fill holes/drain holes for your setup? which pumps are you using? using the power from the other pumps to a 20A or 50A relay.contactor with larger power cords to the battery correct?. electrically easy just currious what size relay/contactor you used? this seems the best way to do it all from the dash rather than using separate switch, thanks!

@nyryan2001 the few times ive gone faster im not sure if its just me not use to the speed but i feel like it was fast to the point it might have been harder to keep up with the wave is that normal and i just need to get use to the speed??, i felt like i might loose the wave but there was still wave for sure just a feeling at least. 

like i said this wave is crazy long and we are surfing way further back than we use to but to me i cant put my finger on it there is something "different" about surfing so far back, perhaps i'm not use to it yet. i'm not quite able to get as much pop off the wave when i'm that far back. the further back the softer the top of the wave. so again i'm not sure if i need to speed up or add more bow weight to firm up the top/crest part of the wave. its crazy firm up closer to the boat but its soo flat in that area likely due to SG deflecting so much that it takes a longer distance behind the boat to converge back together. thats why i am seriously wondering why SG is not adjustable like the wedge. i hope to test this theory when a friend brings a much smaller suck gate to test what 1/3 size /surface area gate does and if the wave converges sooner behind the boat or not. it very well could be that i just need some bow weight as well.

Let's say you could adjust the gates.  Bringing them in closer or to the stowed position would flatten the wave in my mind.  The boat is weighed evenly, so reducing the amount of water deflection from the non-surf side would just wash out the wave.  I don't see how incremental adjustments would make a steeper face.  Maybe the DIY suck gate guys can chime in on this one.  

On a 2016 23 lsv,  I put a 600lb sac up front because the boat was having a hard time reaching 10.5 mph when the rear sacs were full. I am using a prop with a 17.75 inch pitch, so the extra weight in the bow is necessary to get the boat up to speed. But I have noticed that with the weight up front, there is not much bow rise even when I change the wedge setting. Without this weight, there is much more bow movement as I change the wedge and the largest wave occurs when I put the wedge at two from stow.  

Edited by bbattiste247

I got a buddy with a 25.  He says he didn't like the 1100's in the back.  said it was too much weight for the length.  He runs the 750s in the lockers and then adds weight down the sides as well.  But he isn't looking for a shorter wave...so....