Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Care / Detail

sandaddiction

12 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Also, regarding Boat Covers, I am going to look for a good one made from something like Sunbrella that has good SPF, but I want it to extend to cover the teak deck.  My boat is on a trailer, and the issue will be sun mostly.  Not that much rain here in Idaho.  Can anyone direct me to where to find one that is not $800 or more, for an RLX?  I doubt I will trailer with it.  But I suppose I might.  Also will be adding a bimini.  Without a tower.

Great Lakes Boat Top Co., www.greatlakesboattop.com/malibu, made the cover that came with my boat originally, and it covers the swim platform.  They show on their website that they can make one for a '98 RLX, but I don't know how much they charge.

Its been a pretty good mooring cover for me, but I don't think I'd tow with it.  For towing, I have a Rankin (predecessor to Evolution), which has extra padding in rub-prone areas [but doesn't cover the swim platform].

• Like 1
On 8/29/2016 at 7:56 PM, gobble said:

What if you keep your boat on a lift? It's a bit harder to do all that.

I'd be curious the percentage that trailer vs. keep at the lake.

I'm on a lift 95% of the time.  (I'm anal about my boat)

After every use, either use watered down Boat Bling or Babes Boat Bright.  Spray on wax twice a year.  Liquid polish and two coats of wax before season, and mid season...used every type of wax, Meguiars Flagship is superior to them all.

Carpet, vacuum when needed, steam clean once a year.

Vinyl I clean with Mequiars cleaner, and spray down with 303.

Full length cover or sun shades help.

What are you guys using on the stainless "Malibu" emblems above the swim platform and on the sides near the back (2010 LSV)? Haven't been able to get them spotless and shining the entire time I've had the boat. 

Also any advice on how to shine the back cover of the Alpha II cans?

1 minute ago, abattle10 said:

What are you guys using on the stainless "Malibu" emblems above the swim platform and on the sides near the back (2010 LSV)? Haven't been able to get them spotless and shining the entire time I've had the boat. 

Also any advice on how to shine the back cover of the Alpha II cans?

I just use the Eagle 1 wax as you dry on them (the chrome Malibu emblems).  Seems to work fine.

Before each season use a cutting polish with a forced rotation polisher to cut away the old layer of haze and light scratches( Menzerna 400). The Menzerna also leaves a soft to the touch high gloss finish. Then use an auto motive high end sealant to the tune of 2/3 coats. This will leave the boat more water resistant than a carnuba wax and looking better than a new boat. 

I was once a wax guy but after a good friend educated me I am now a believer and spend much less time waxing my boat. 

I also wipe her  down with Boatbling Hotsauce when she is trailered to keep that showroom shine.

Interior is wiped down with 303 cleaner or boat bling Vinyl sauce and I like babes conditioner every month

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • Like 2

At the beginning of the season I wash with Dawn dish soap to strip all wax. Use a random orbit attachment in a battery drill to compound if needed, and polish, then apply 2 coats of wax by hand. I use Hot Sauce after every outing, and Babe's Seat Soap every outing. I also use the Babe's vinyl conditioner once a month. Vacuum carpet as needed. Strip and wax again at the end of the season.

30 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Before each season use a cutting polish with a forced rotation polisher to cut away the old layer of haze and light scratches( Menzerna 400). The Menzerna also leaves a soft to the touch high gloss finish. Then use an auto motive high end sealant to the tune of 2/3 coats. This will leave the boat more water resistant than a carnuba wax and looking better than a new boat. 

I was once a wax guy but after a good friend educated me I am now a believer and spend much less time waxing my boat. 

I also wipe her  down with Boatbling Hotsauce when she is trailered to keep that showroom shine.

Interior is wiped down with 303 cleaner or boat bling Vinyl sauce and I like babes conditioner every month

What are you using to apply the Menzerna 400? By hand, a buffer, or polisher? What is the automotive sealant you use?

5 hours ago, theGrant said:

What are you using to apply the Menzerna 400? By hand, a buffer, or polisher? What is the automotive sealant you use?

Using a polisher, not an orbital. Super easy. 

Edited by ConnollyCrew
Use Menzerna sealant as well. But I would think any sealant would do the same thing
8 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Before I go and order some of this Menzerna 400, how much are you guys using? Different websites seem to have many different sizes

Honestly not sure about size. The bottle I purchased was maybe 40-50 dollars but a little goes a loooong way. I would be shocked if mine doesn't last 4-5 seasons. 

I literally apply 4-5 dabs directly to the pad then dab in a small area along the hull to spread before powering up the polisher. No mess.

edit:32 oz is what I purchased 

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • 3 years later...

What kind of towels do you use to wipe down? Just the towels from the boat? 

Any special or recommended towels or rags for seat wipe down with Vinyl Sauce?

47 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

What kind of towels do you use to wipe down? Just the towels from the boat? 

Any special or recommended towels or rags for seat wipe down with Vinyl Sauce?

Terry cloths for Trailer and interior, Microfiber for exterior boat.  I always buy at Costco but you can find Terry and Micro fiber at autozone, Walmart, etc..