Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Care / Detail

sandaddiction

I am getting a new Malibu this week and want to do everything possible to keep this boat in new condition.  Can you guys please share some tactics?

1. What do you do right when you pull the boat out of the late (products, towels, etc)?
  2. What do you do when the boat is back at the house and you complete your full wash?
  3. Any particular end of year processes?

Also, if you have any particular website you shop at, please let me know. I've always heard of Babes and Boat Bling but didn't know if those were the best and what products I should be buying and when to apply.

Thanks

if it isn't hot as heck we do a quick wipe down with a beach towel after it comes out. If it dry's instantly then it just dries. When it gets home it gets some eagle one wax as you dry to shine it up and get the spots off. Interior gets a quick wipe with a wet rag and a coat of 303 every few trips. Twice a year the hull gets a good cleaning with collonite cleaner and two coats of collonite fleet wax.

forget about any brand of water spot remover, mostly vinegar, coloring and scent. Good for stripping wax off mainly.

• Like 4

Apple cider vinegarcut with water about 30% vinegar 70% water.  Spray and wipe with microfiber towels after every use.  Eats the water spots as good or better than anything more expensive.  Wax it at least once a year depending on use.  The vinegar wipe down takes care of 99%of any issues you will have.  Congrats on the boat enjoy

We usually wash ours at the end of each weekend (ours sits in a lift, so in and out a lot), and have had luck using the Meguiars boat wash and wax this year (https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M4232-Marine-Flagship-Wash-N-Wax/dp/B00355GPQA/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1472435391&sr=1-2&keywords=boat+wash+and+wax). It's no substitute for waxing, but it really helps the pre-season coat of wax last longer into the season. It's expensive, but one container will easily last us a year.

I've pretty much converted to just all the Boat Bling products.   I use vinyl sauce a LOT - a bottle stays on the boat and if I see a tough spot during the day, I hit it real quick.  It sounds like I'm super anal, but I'm not - I have 3 kids and their friends and rather than banning all sorts of stuff, I just clean up the tough messes as they happen.   

At the end of the day, I use Hot Sauce to clean up the exterior.   Easy stuff to use!

For the glass, I have some rain-x cleaner that I use whenever the spots really get to bugging me on the windshield (i.e., this doesn't get done every outing).  

I'm pretty good about wiping down the interior and exterior, but honestly if I'm going to be back out the next day or so, I may skip it - especially if the kids are tired and just ready to get home.  

Oh, and where are photos of this new Malibu?  What are you getting? :)

• Like 2

All vinyl wiped down with Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce immediately after every time out:  https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Bling-VS-Detailing-Product/dp/B006GJYKWI

All exterior/fiberglass wiped down with Larsen wax/cleaner immediately after every time out: https://larsensa.hostinggreatlakes.com/appieshop/index.cgi?larsensaSTORE:CKIE:prod077-rbp+

Wax two or three times per year with Maguires: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M6332-Flagship-Premium-Marine/dp/B0007TR47G/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1472436508&sr=1-1&keywords=maguires+marine+wax

All of the above done with different microfiber towels.  

45 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I've pretty much converted to just all the Boat Bling products.   I use vinyl sauce a LOT - a bottle stays on the boat and if I see a tough spot during the day, I hit it real quick.  It sounds like I'm super anal, but I'm not - I have 3 kids and their friends and rather than banning all sorts of stuff, I just clean up the tough messes as they happen.   

At the end of the day, I use Hot Sauce to clean up the exterior.   Easy stuff to use!

For the glass, I have some rain-x cleaner that I use whenever the spots really get to bugging me on the windshield (i.e., this doesn't get done every outing).  

I'm pretty good about wiping down the interior and exterior, but honestly if I'm going to be back out the next day or so, I may skip it - especially if the kids are tired and just ready to get home.  

Oh, and where are photos of this new Malibu?  What are you getting? :)

Deciding between a 16 white/red/black LSV or a 17 white/metallic silver/yellow/back LSV.  Going with 4 Rev 10s and modify the amp setup.  

• Like 2

Wax once per year. 303 twice per year. Windex when I want a clear view. Vacuum if there's crap on the floor. Fantastic cleaner if something gets spilled.

Guess my boat is low maintenance - just like my wife :)

Too many boats on the water front to keep them more than "clean enough."

Any one try the Starbrite polish with PTEF for UV?  Then follow up with a poly wax maybe?  Like Griot's poly or Collinite Marine?  Saw a shoot off in a thread from earlier this year. 

Edited by sunvalleylaw

How do you guys and gals get the bottom of the boat? The bottom of ours hasnt seen wax other than between the bunks. Needs some tlc. Scratches from loading and u loading on sandy ramps. Thinking of borrowing a crane and hoisting it up haha.

For wipe down I use hot sauce with some Meguiars microfiber towels. Since I wipe down after each use I don't have to wash as much. I have used babes but like hot sauce much better. I usually wax/polish twice a year with Meguiars cleaner wax. 

For the interior I use babes seat soap. Mostly because is smells soooooooo good! 303 a few times a year. 

Being able to keep a spotless boat may be one of the few advantages of trailering. I like hot sauce but it's expensive. I may make my own once I run out.  I use vinyl sauce almost every outing but it last longer than hot sauce because you use less. I do 303 protectant twice a season and usually wax twice also.  If you tow, wax the tower. It helps get the bugs off. 

8 hours ago, Technicallyabu said:

How do you guys and gals get the bottom of the boat? The bottom of ours hasnt seen wax other than between the bunks. Needs some tlc. Scratches from loading and u loading on sandy ramps. Thinking of borrowing a crane and hoisting it up haha.

Jack stands and lift off trailer, if I really want to clean the bottom.

First off, I wipe my boat down with "the absorber," a chamois-like product that you can find at Walmart or most auto parts shops.  I have like 4 of them that live full time on my boat.  They stay moist if left inside their plastic container, and they last forever.  If they get dirty, I typically just hose them off real well, but they can be machine-washed.

I'm a big fan of Starbrite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF (mentioned above).  It is not a wax, but a product intended specifically for gelcoat.  Its available at Academy and West Marine, and its really not very expensive, but it is easy to apply and it works like a charm.  Two coats a year is all it takes.  You can put a coat of wax on top of it (I typically spritz Babe's Boat Bright every three or four outings).

Any wax works well on the tower.

303 goes on the vinyl.

I have a good quality boat cover that gets put on every night.

That's all I do.  And, after 10 full seasons, with my boat living on a lift at a marina 24/7/365, it still looks new. 

Edited by srab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, srab said:

First off, I wipe my boat down with "the absorber," a chamois-like product that you can find at Walmart or most auto parts shops.  I have like 4 of them that live full time on my boat.  They stay moist if left inside their plastic container, and they last forever.  If they get dirty, I typically just hose them off real well, but they can be machine-washed.

I'm a big fan of Starbrite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF (mentioned above).  It is not a wax, but a product intended specifically for gelcoat.  Its available at Academy and West Marine, and its really not very expensive, but it is easy to apply and it works like a charm.  Two coats a year is all it takes.  You can put a coat of wax on top of it (I typically spritz Babe's Boat Bright every three or four outings).

Any wax works well on the tower.

303 goes on the vinyl.

I have a good quality boat cover that gets put on every night.

That's all I do.  And, after 10 full seasons, with my boat living on a lift at a marina 24/7/365, it still looks new. 

Cool!  Good info!  For my new to me '98 RLX, I am going to get the Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF and follow up with Griot's Garage Poly Wax.  I have some Meguiar's compound for areas with little scratches. Fortunately, I have very little of that as the prior owner was very particular.  Just a couple on the darker blue on the rear of the boat.  Will see if compound gets it or if that area needs a wet sand.   And was thinking about Starbrite Speed Detail  See Here. for use in between wax jobs during the year.  Was thinking I would do twice a year for wax jobs.  Along with Starbrite vinyl Guard also with PTEF.   Not sure how it compares with the stuff others favor, but it has the sun guard in it.  See here: Starbrite Vinyl Guard   The vinyl probably shows the most wear as it is from 1998, so want to keep it protected as best as I can.  It is not bad, just a couple nicks here and there, but still.  Not sure how the detail products compare with 303.  May change my mind on which one to use for the vinyl protector and speed detailer.  Anyone with experience or comments on the Starbrite vs. 303 for that part? 

Also, regarding Boat Covers, I am going to look for a good one made from something like Sunbrella that has good SPF, but I want it to extend to cover the teak deck.  My boat is on a trailer, and the issue will be sun mostly.  Not that much rain here in Idaho.  Can anyone direct me to where to find one that is not $800 or more, for an RLX?  I doubt I will trailer with it.  But I suppose I might.  Also will be adding a bimini.  Without a tower.

Edited by sunvalleylaw
fix quote.

I gave up on these expensive products.  I use vinegar / water to wipe down after the lake & it does a fantastic job.  I like NuFinish for my wax cause the shine.  I use diluted Totally Awesome Cleaner from the dollar store for the seats, but I bought 5 gallons of boat bling vinyl cleaner so I've been using that, 303 twice a year & keep the dash shiny so it doesn't dry out.  

Does anyone use silica gel or other means of humidity trappers on there boats?  I was thinking keep a bunch of those on there would helpful, especially for storage? 

12 hours ago, gobble said:

What if you keep your boat on a lift? It's a bit harder to do all that.

I'd be curious the percentage that trailer vs. keep at the lake.

I keep mine on a lift.  Beginning of the season it's gets a thorough cleaning before I take it up to the lake.  Wash, compound, wax.  I pull all the seats and scrub them using vinyl sauce(amazing stuff, you can use it on basically everything, leather, vinyl, carpet, etc) then 303 them.  Then I vacuum the carpet using a pump sprayer with some diluted bleach in it on the carpets.  

Usually when we are at the lake house for the weekend, I don't wipe it down after each use.  I usually wait until Sunday and then use either eagle one spray wax or hot sauce before I cover it for the weekend.  If we are up for a week or so, I'll pick a couple random days when they kids are napping and the wife is laying out and grab my spray wax and a beer and wipe it down.  Usually jump on with a microfiber and clean around the exhaust/wedge real good so I don't get the lake scum stains   

When I leave for the week, I have a box fan with a timer and set the fan to come on and off periodically everyday.  I dislodge all the seats and stand them up so the air can circulate.  No issues during the year with mold mildew.  This past winter I didn't have access to my normal storage so I left the boat on the lift all winter with several damp rids which I changed out half way through.  I also left the box fan on the timer all winter.  

19 minutes ago, gobble said:

Someone mentioned make their own hot sauce. Is the formula known for how to do this?

It is a vinegar based solution with some other stuff in it.  It is consider a wipe down/"sealer" for the gel coat. 

With that being said, its not THAT expensive.  I have pretty much taken my boat out every week since the beginning of June and have only gone through 1.5 of the small bottles of Hot Sauce. So for $25 you get pretty good mileage. 

Edited by Roush611