Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission take a few minutes to go in drive

Just got my 1999 maibu response running after restoration for 2 years and everything seemed to be fine until I tried to put it in drive while on the trailor just checking everything before I put it in the water.. So I put it in drive and it just revs up and nothing engaging.. put in reverse and it engages fine.. so put back in drive let sit for a few minutes and it finally engages.. It's seems like it has no fluid or low on fluid but the transmission fluid has a perfect reading right at the top of the second line.. has anyone had this problem or no what it could be??

check the linkage to see if it's adjusted properly.

start by disconnecting the linkage at the trans.

shift trans into neutral, start the engine then shift into f & reverse.

that should isolate the problem to transmission or something forward.

be aware that the drive shaft, beneath the boat, must be kept wet while turning.

It went into gear a couple times but like I said it took a few minutes after I had it in the drive with the engine idled up.. after it went in gear I could watch the shaft as I back off and it slowe'd down then stopped when I hit neutral.. That would mean the linkage is probably good.. it did fine last time I ran it 2 years ago.. think it could be low on fluid and I'm not checking it right or something 

What kind of fluid are you running?  If ATF, what kind?  Ive read that you want to stay away from synthetics in the velvet drive.  2014skier can chime in on this, but ATF type F will change the friction somewhat, but myself Ive always used castrol dexron 3/mercon.  I run mine a little over the full line as Im listed with ballast more often than not.  I check my fluid with the cap/dipstick seated.

I use dexron lll mercon also and I would say if I put the dipstick all the way back in I'm slightly over the second line.. im going to see about checking the linkage today when I get off work