Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Marine Gauge Fit Head Unit off of my home's AC Power

sidekicknicholas

I recently put in a new dock and am trying to find the best way to provide audio to the dock / beach area of out house. 

In the past I've used mini amps, receivers, and other products made for indoor use ... and even when covered or in an enclosure they don't hold up well.

My latest thought was to get a newer marine head unit (gauge fit), mount it in a post on my shore near where my outlets are .... from there run out to speakers mounted on the dock.  I'm thinking this will hold up much better to the elements and provide the power I need to push 2-4 speakers.

Since its a head unit it wants 12v and as far as I can tell will need at least 5 amps to run reliably.  Can I simply buy a 12v 5a power supply from Amazon, run the head units power wires to the positive, and ground to ground to get it to fire up?  Powering up/down will be a manual thing now, but besides that, am I missing something?

Head unit like this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74609_MB-Quart-Nautic-GMR-1.html