Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Doomswell "ugly duckling" sale

bamaboy

The Neo was recommended to me when I spoke with him but the blems are sold out. I would look at the equivalent traditional board. The skim looks interesting as well. 

Does the Facebook posting say what's wrong with them? Returns, damage, design errors, etc?

1 hour ago, Josh4mc said:

The Neo was recommended to me when I spoke with him but the blems are sold out. I would look at the equivalent traditional board. The skim looks interesting as well. 

Does the Facebook posting say what's wrong with them? Returns, damage, design errors, etc?

I'm not sure about that.  

Yeah, the neo was what I was looking at.  The hybrid one looks cool too.  

at 400 bucks it is tempting

8 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

This is very temping. I feel like I have rode my current board to its max potential. What is the price on these normally?

I think they are like 675.  

I ordered a spark plug (bigger guy).  I was about to order a SC but really didni't want to spend a grand right now (too many stereo purchases) so this was perfect timing.  Thanks for the link.

46 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I ordered a spark plug (bigger guy).  I was about to order a SC but really didni't want to spend a grand right now (too many stereo purchases) so this was perfect timing.  Thanks for the link.

I have been riding the Spark Plug for most of the summer and really like it.  It is my first true surf style board that I have actually been able to ride.  I ordered a custom Neo over the winter and due to some delamination under the back foot, it was pretty difficult to really ride.  Brock sent me the Spark Plug for in the mean time until he can remake my Neo.

jwl,

How do you like the surf style compared to the Factor you have been riding? It has got to be night and day difference. Just trying to decide if I should get one of these blem boards since I still have not gotten a Factor.

1 hour ago, BearCreekBum said:

jwl,

How do you like the surf style compared to the Factor you have been riding? It has got to be night and day difference. Just trying to decide if I should get one of these blem boards since I still have not gotten a Factor.

It is a lot different!  Took me several rides to even just get the hang of how it carves.  It almost made me feel like I was learning to surf again.  I tried my Factor again a couple weeks ago, and tried to ride it like the Spark Plug, didn't work to well for me since the Factor slid out from under me.  It is a fun board, I think the next board that I get will be a hybrid so hopefully I can have the best of both worlds.

Speaking of, when you coming down so you can ride the Factor and Spark Plug?

Work has really been getting in my way this summer and I've been traveling a lot but not down south. They will start dropping the water at our lake after this weekend so it is just about over for me here. 

I'm due for a trip to Jackson in September and we will just have to make it happen. Don't you ride fairly late in the year?

Have you cleared all the critters out of the river?

37 minutes ago, BearCreekBum said:

Work has really been getting in my way this summer and I've been traveling a lot but not down south. They will start dropping the water at our lake after this weekend so it is just about over for me here. 

I'm due for a trip to Jackson in September and we will just have to make it happen. Don't you ride fairly late in the year?

Have you cleared all the critters out of the river?

I will be riding up thru the middle of October, went this past weekend and the river is on the rise but should be cresting soon.  Didn't see any critters on this trip, but the water was at the perfect temp and color was nice and brown!

58 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

It is a lot different!  Took me several rides to even just get the hang of how it carves.  It almost made me feel like I was learning to surf again.  I tried my Factor again a couple weeks ago, and tried to ride it like the Spark Plug, didn't work to well for me since the Factor slid out from under me.  It is a fun board, I think the next board that I get will be a hybrid so hopefully I can have the best of both worlds.

Speaking of, when you coming down so you can ride the Factor and Spark Plug?

You're not going to want a hybrid. You will be better off sticking with two boards (a surf and a skim). A hybrid is generally a step down in performance. 

1 hour ago, wakemitch said:

You're not going to want a hybrid. You will be better off sticking with two boards (a surf and a skim). A hybrid is generally a step down in performance. 

what are your thoughts on these doomswell boards Mitch?

1 hour ago, jwl019 said:

Curious on your thoughts too @wakemitch.  I see some of the custom makers offer a surf style (ex-Doomswell Spark Plug) and a hybrid style (ex-Doomswell Nubstep).  Chaos has boards that fall in those categories too.

I was referring to hybrids that are a mix between a surf and skim style board. Like a skim board with big (and/or multiple) fins, or a surfboard board shaped like a skimboard.

The nubstep, chaos hybrid, and zombie hybrid are still definitely surf style boards. They are just surf style boards with a flatter rocker and usually two fins or a twinzer so they arent pump driven boards.

On August 28, 2016 at 1:23 PM, bamaboy said:

I'm not sure about that.  

Yeah, the neo was what I was looking at.  The hybrid one looks cool too.  

at 400 bucks it is tempting

I have a couple buddy's that ride the Nubstep and love them. If I were buying a Doomswell the Nubstep would get the nod. At 400 you can always resell on the forum. Good luck

1 hour ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I have a couple buddy's that ride the Nubstep and love them. If I were buying a Doomswell the Nubstep would get the nod. At 400 you can always resell on the forum. Good luck

sold out

We picked up both a Doomswell Neo bamboo and Victoria Agent earlier in the season.  Both boards are great, very different.  We did damage the Neo and it is back getting repaired.  Brock at Doomswell was helpful, but he didn't mention any blems being available.  No complaints about either company.  Brock was much better for customer service.

We came from a craigslist board and a hybrid, and the higher end boards are noticeably better.  We also added ballast and a mission surf tab to the boat as well.  Entirely different and better experience.

How would the Drone (hybrid) compare to a Ronix powertail? I'm currently surfing the ronix with just the two outer fins, but can't seem cut into the wake hard enough to air out. 

Just now, Cmb396 said:

How would the Drone (hybrid) compare to a Ronix powertail? I'm currently surfing the ronix with just the two outer fins, but can't seem cut into the wake hard enough to air out. 

You don't want to cut hard into the wake to air out. That makes you lose all your speed 

• Like 2

Interesting that I ordered a board and got a shipping label and I thought GREAT, 3 days ground to VA .. I will have it by Labor Day weekend.  Well they created the label but still haven't shipped it!  No chance of making it now.... :(