Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me pick another surf rope

Nitrousbird

Had this rope...it broke at the handle last night:

https://smile.amazon.com/AIRHEAD-AHWS-R01-Spiral-Wakesurf-16-Feet/dp/B00IC806PQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1472340729&sr=1-1&keywords=wakesurf+rope

It replaced this rope, which was chewed up a bit and lost its ends, exposing metal - which my daughter hit against the hull and chipped the gel coat, which is why I replaced it:

https://smile.amazon.com/Body-Glove-BG1208-Wakesurf-Rope/dp/B00546FFSW/ref=sr_1_20?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1472340729&sr=1-20&keywords=wakesurf+rope

Our only regular that needs the rope for anything more than getting up is my wife.  We surf a lot...what is a rope worth buying?  I typically pull from the tower...both ropes get us to about the middle of the wave.

Now that we are more experienced the rope really does not matter to us much but we have had this one for 3 seasons. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Liquid-Force-Suede-Grip-Surf/dp/B00O2AJNE8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1472354700&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=wakesurf+rope+suede

we teach a lot of people and it is really good for teaching because it has two large textured foam grips on the rope to hold once people are up.  But it may be a bit pricey if your crew is always the same and they just pop up and toss it. 

95% of riding is pop and toss.  My wife only goes out on the board from time to time...she needs the rope (for now).

I do need something that is easy to hold pulling up.  I take my 5 year old out on the board pretty much every outing, so its a little harder getting up with 2 people. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TAKJX0Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472391994&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=ronix+wakesurf+rope&dpPl=1&dpID=41p1UF8Fy-L&ref=plSrch

we replaced ours this year with this one, I like it. The bungee section helps newer riders from just being pulled off balance. But if you don't like it , it's only about 18 inches and can be easily removed.

i made the one we use. 4 lengths of 3/8 rope braided tightly together and at the top wove a piece of ski rope into it to adjust length. No handle just rope. it has a nice circumference to hold on to (insert joke here) but i do not have to worry about anyone looping it in their hand or catching their arm in the handle when they fall.

Sold my boat with the rope and before i made one for my then new boat, a buddy was using a shortened wake board rope, but still enough to loop in his hand...told him over and over to not do that (very experience guy)...well, when he fell the rope somehow clipped the tip of his index finger right off. Ropes are dangerous.

5 hours ago, itznowonder said:

Easy. wake rope and handle shortened to proper length!

Too many stories floating around of missing fingers from not using a surf rope.  I would not risk it. 

11 hours ago, vanamp said:

Too many stories floating around of missing fingers from not using a surf rope.  I would not risk it. 

only if you're stupid enough to coil a too long rope. Shorten it to the proper length and there is 0 chance of missing digits. + for the ultra weak, the handle is big enough to place two hands on the handle, the drop the back hand.

5 hours ago, itznowonder said:

only if you're stupid enough to coil a too long rope. Shorten it to the proper length and there is 0 chance of missing digits. + for the ultra weak, the handle is big enough to place two hands on the handle, the drop the back hand.

And you can surf behind an I/O if you are not stupid enough to fall forward......

falling happens and is generally not graceful.  Use the proper equipment.  Aren't wakeboard ropes more expensive anyway.

17 minutes ago, vanamp said:

And you can surf behind an I/O if you are not stupid enough to fall forward......

falling happens and is generally not graceful.  Use the proper equipment.  Aren't wakeboard ropes more expensive anyway.

There is absolutely no way to get hurt the way I have it set up and its not more expensive if I already own it. You'd have to read back to know that yes, Ima boat nazi, you don't do it my way on my boat means you don't do anything on my boat at all!! From several incidents in my past boating experience, I tolerate 0 horse play. If you want that rope to skip along next to you on the other side of the wake... nope not gonna happen. If you want to get drunk and sit near where the rope comes off the tower, better think again. I witnessed a friend cut his arm off just below the elbow from a rope so I know the dangers, I have the towel that we wrapped the guys arm in to get him to emergency, I bring it with me as a reminder, when someone acts stupid I bring the 35 year old towel out and tell a horrific story.

Also, I'm getting older so getting up with one hand isn't always easy for me so I really need the extra width of the wake handle.

3 hours ago, itznowonder said:

There is absolutely no way to get hurt the way I have it set up and its not more expensive if I already own it. You'd have to read back to know that yes, Ima boat nazi, you don't do it my way on my boat means you don't do anything on my boat at all!! From several incidents in my past boating experience, I tolerate 0 horse play. If you want that rope to skip along next to you on the other side of the wake... nope not gonna happen. If you want to get drunk and sit near where the rope comes off the tower, better think again. I witnessed a friend cut his arm off just below the elbow from a rope so I know the dangers, I have the towel that we wrapped the guys arm in to get him to emergency, I bring it with me as a reminder, when someone acts stupid I bring the 35 year old towel out and tell a horrific story.

Also, I'm getting older so getting up with one hand isn't always easy for me so I really need the extra width of the wake handle.

My wife and spent a lot of time learning switch riding this weekend so we had plenty of falls before we tossed the rope.  The thing to remember is there is no proper length for a surf rope.  My first attempt getting up switch I went screaming towards the boat (which made my rope have slack) I fell on the rope and it went between my fingers.  Luckily it's a big fat surf rope and it and it does not easily coil so everything was fine besides mild rope burn.

If that same fall happens with a thin wake rope and large handle the risk of a bad accident is much greater.

My rope has a small handle but we still use two hands getting up.  Normally we are not hanging on the rope too long but sometimes we ride with it when we are working on a trick (riding switch, reverts etc...) and we also teach a lot of newbies who are holding it the whole time the are riding and even though they know not to coil the rope there are times its slack and they fall awkwardly.  

I'm not saying you are doing it wrong or that I would not use my wake rope in a pinch but I would not suggest that someone should do it as their main surf rope. 

• 2 weeks later...

We've had the same one of these since we started wakesurfing in 2006.  It's never needed replacement.  This is our 11th season with it. Durability is the upside, but it doesn't have a handle. http://www.wakehouse.com/products/hyperlite-knotted-wake-surf-rope.html?dfw_tracker=10071-4991&gclid=CLK6rKTHiM8CFVKUfgodmAoPRw  

As far as surfing with a wakeboard line: Do whatcha like, they're your digits.......... but I've seen a friend get his finger dislocated (and nearly plucked from his hand) using a big fat wakesurf specific rope......and he was an experienced rider.  There is NO WAY I'd ever let anyone use a wakeboard line on my boat.  If the wakeboard line is long enough to put you in the middle of the wave......then it's long enough to get slack in when you get to the back of the boat.  And there's not a rider out there, pro...amateur...or other, who doesn't take an awkward/unexpected fall from time to time.  Accidents happen, that's why they're called accidents.  Nobody cuts their fingers off purposely.

• Like 1

On the Snake River where I play a Man lost his eye from someone using a ski rope for wakeboarding and a young girl lost a finger, maybe fingers while tubing.  It made me check gear.  I wish everyone was strong enough on our boat to use one like BS referenced but we use a Ronix with a little handle. 

On 8/30/2016 at 6:17 PM, vanamp said:

We hauled someone out of the lake this summer, using a surf rope. Apparently he had the rope coiled up in his hand while he surfed right off the swimstep. Fell forward into the rope & got banged up pretty good by the swimstep & rope burn as it pulled out. Trashed his arm good. He's lucky he didn't lose it.

Thinking that your safe by just using a surf rope isn't enough. Never ride anything with coils of rope in your hand.

Anything with AirHead on it is pretty low grade equipment. It's cheap for a reason.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

We hauled someone out of the lake this summer, using a surf rope. Apparently he had the rope coiled up in his hand while he surfed right off the swimstep. Fell forward into the rope & got banged up pretty good by the swimstep & rope burn as it pulled out. Trashed his arm good. He's lucky he didn't lose it.

Thinking that your safe by just using a surf rope isn't enough. Never ride anything with coils of rope in your hand.

Anything with AirHead on it is pretty low grade equipment. It's cheap for a reason.

100% agree, not saying a surf rope means you will be injury free, just saying a thin wakeboard line in that same situation would probably have done a lot more damage than a rope burn.

• Like 3