Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tranny rebuild or replace?

Nick in the TC

Got a '97 VLX that I am pretty sure the tranny is toasted.  Has anyone rebuilt one?  I believe it is a 1.5 to 1 tranny with the Walter 1 to 1 v drive.  The engine is the Indmar GM 350.  Boat has around 1000 hours.  Also where would I even find one for sale?  Have looked around but haven't came across that transmission.

Edited by Nick in the TC

Thanks for the tip on the discount.  I did see that one on Bakes but I need to verifiy which tranny I have.  I thought it has the 1.5 to 1 ratio tranny.

I looked at the plate and the tranny is a 1.00 to 1.03, ZF Hurth 45 C.  I found one for $1500 but it didn't have the Walter v drive adapter.  Does anyone know if that part will come off of the tranny and I can swap it?  I took the boat to a Malibu dealer and they just want me to buy a new one for $2500 and put it in.  I want to explore the rebuild option first.