Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission fluid in bilge

Waterbuffalo

I have a 2001 Malibu response LX. Recently my transmission slipped, so I checked the fluid. I topped it off and haven't had the problem since, but now I realize there's quite a lot of tranny fluid in the bilge. I checked both coolant lines, no leaking. My gut tells me it's the front gasket/seal as it's quite damp over by the starter. I pumped the fluid out to see what I had remaining- only about 1 liter. Yikes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I don't really want to pull the tranny to put a new front gasket on it, but do I have to? Is there anything out there that will reseal the gasket? 

I have the Monsoon with a ZF 450D transmission. 530 hours  

Last question- if I keep checking the fluid, can I run the boat and fix the gasket over winter?

Clean up the bilge and lay some paper towels under the trans to verify the leak location.  You could use it as long as you are faithful at maintaining the fluid level.  Is it leaking all the time or only when running?

I would think a seal would have a slow drip at rest, like a car dripping in your driveway. That's why I would put something underneath after cleaning to help diagnose. I would also try and wipe down the underside well 1st. Dawn dish soap and hot water in the bilge will clean well. Certainly would leak more under power, as would various hoses & fittings. Couple years ago my buddy's Sporty developed a hose leak. Patched with rescue tape and didn't leak the rest of the year till he changed it.

Edited by Rednucleus
52 minutes ago, Waterbuffalo said:

I have a 2001 Malibu response LX. Recently my transmission slipped, so I checked the fluid. I topped it off and haven't had the problem since, but now I realize there's quite a lot of tranny fluid in the bilge. I checked both coolant lines, no leaking. My gut tells me it's the front gasket/seal as it's quite damp over by the starter. I pumped the fluid out to see what I had remaining- only about 1 liter. Yikes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I don't really want to pull the tranny to put a new front gasket on it, but do I have to? Is there anything out there that will reseal the gasket? 

I have the Monsoon with a ZF 450D transmission. 530 hours  

Last question- if I keep checking the fluid, can I run the boat and fix the gasket over winter?

Alan Fowler at Simplicity Marine in Palmetto FL was a great resource for me when i had same issue on my 99LX. Its a $7 seal.