Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drivers seat loose.

Gavin17

My drivers seat rocks forward and back some.  It feels like it is loose in the front.  The seat is bolted firmly to the track.  I think the issue is that the base is not attached firmly to the floor of the boat.  There is a trim piece covering everything.  I tried to look at it today but had to leave and go to work.  Does anyone have any photos of how this is assembled or do you know how to remove the trim piece to get to the fasteners underneath.  Thanks.

In other news I successfully rode a hydrofoil today after crashing a bunch first.  

The seat is broken not loose.  I took it all apart this morning thinking when I got to the bottom I could tighten some bolts and it would be done.  Nope.  I think I'm going to put a few screws in as a temporary fix and then have a machine shop make a new base plate out of aluminum as a winter project.   This isn't nearly as simple as I'd hoped and I made a mess.  Even on a "clean" boat I just uncovered 12 years of grime I started pulling stuff apart.  

20160831_120333_zpswkj8migj.jpg

20160831_120513_zpslwgkbjvt.jpg

I reinstalled the seat and it works fine for now but it's just a temporary fix that should last the rest of the season.  

You can see how the broken base plate was installed by hand at the malibu factory.  Since I'm having a new plate made I won't be able to match up those holes so I'll just use new holes and new screws to attach the base plate to the floor.  Is there anything special I should do when drilling and driving in the new screws to fiberglass.  It looks like they're number 10 stainless screws about 2" long.  I'll double check and replace them with new ones.  I'll just try to make my new holes go in between where the old holes were.  What should my pilot hole diameter be?  Do I need to grease the screws or anything?