Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help weighting boat for wakesurfing.

mangoneto

I have a 2006 23 LSV. I was at the lake yesterday testing my suckgate. I had the two rear ballast and center full + 400# bab on left+ suckgate right + power wedge half way down + only driver in the boat. I surf on the left side.

Comment 1: the boat would not list to the left at all, to be clear the boat had the platform even out of the water. Any suggestion?

Comment 2: at 10 mph I was able to surf with no rope, but very close to the boat, and felt like not enough push.

Comment 3: I switched sides for the extra bag and suckgate, I could really notice the boat listed to the right and wake looks to be better. But this set up is not for me, it was for the friend that surfs goofy.

Can someone give me some guidance on this?

I just bought this boat thinking I was going to be able to surf 10ft from the boat but I didn't happened.

Thanks.

It will make a great surf wake but you will have to have extra ballast.  My set up for reference is all stock full, wedge all the way down or 7/8 down, 1100# bags in rear lockers filled to around 900#, triangle bow sack filled around a third, and preferably four adults.  I use wicked wakesurf, but I think suckgate might yield similar results.  It took me several times to dial in and it seems to be a bit different each time, but it is very doable.  I am going to take a laser to get exact distance from transom, but the curl is pushing me at around 20' no problem.  Hang in there you will get it.

I forgot, you will probably need to re prop.

Edited by wakesonthesnake

Due to prop rotation, Malibu's always give a better goofy wave.  Nature of the beast.

You aren't running nearly enough weight.  You need a couple THOUSAND pounds more of ballast (and probably a prop upgrade).  I haven't been on your hull, but my guess is a minimum of 1100lb bags (they probably won't fully fill) in each rear locker, bag on the port side - which you can probably put under the seat. 

Sounds like you don't have a bow tank.  Get either a bow triangle or under seat bow bag + some lead.

Getting a boat setup for a good surf wave isn't cheap.  Fact is you can either do it right or have a crappy, tiny wave that you have to be almost up on the swim platform and isn't any fun.  I'd say at least half the boats I see out on the water have their ballast setup wrong (or not enough) for surfing. 

I guess I'm just not getting it. I know I'm new to surfing but I hear everyone talking about breaking a boat over by needing so much ballast weight.  This is our first summer in a 2009 23 LSV. Read up and made my own suck gate. With only loaded MLS (every ballast full - I think it is a total of 1,550 pounds of ballast) this fat boy has a pretty good wake to surf. What am I missing?  I'm trying to load a video to share, but I don't think I'm suffering by not spending another couple grand on ballasts or quite a few thousand on a new boat with surf gate.

Perhaps it's that I'm a fat boy just loving surfing behind a 'bu and not at the office?!?!  Perhaps. 

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsG_EH_1UkWLpVcBswvRFqVKS2ae

Edited by NMMalibuFamily
4 minutes ago, NMMalibuFamily said:

I guess I'm just not getting it. I know I'm new to surfing but I hear everyone talking about breaking a boat over by needing so much ballast weight.  This is our first summer in a 2009 23 LSV. Read up and made my own suck gate. With only loaded MLS (every ballast full - I think it is a total of 1,550 pounds of ballast) this fat boy has a pretty good wake to surf. What am I missing?  I'm trying to load a video to share, but I don't think I'm suffering by not spending another couple grand on ballasts or quite a few thousand on a new boat with surf gate.

Perhaps it's that I'm a fat boy just loving surfing behind a 'bu and not at the office?!?!  Perhaps. 

If you are having a good time that is what counts. It just opens up the options of what you can do on the wake.  If you just get bags and throw over the side pumps you could have 2000# for well under a thousand.   

• Like 1
13 hours ago, NMMalibuFamily said:

Suffering no, but you're only getting a taste of what that boat can do.  I can get a killer wave on my boat with 3000 pounds but I run 5400 because the wave size, length and push is unreal.  There's no replacement for displacement when it comes to surfing 

On 8/28/2016 at 7:19 PM, NMMalibuFamily said:

What board are you using? I have the cheap Broadcast, a guy at Sail Ski said that board is too slow... Any opinions?