Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Tower Speaker Setup

sandaddiction

What is the best tower speaker combination for Surf and Wake?

How would 2 pairs Rev 10s be?  Would the 410s be much better?  Any other suggestions?

Also, please include amp recommendations.

Thanks

I have 2 under powered Icon 8's, so I have been told I need more watts in my amp and a pair of Rev 10's. I heard a stereo the other day with powerful amps, a WS 420 and just 2 Rev 10's and it was very loud and clear. The owner told me that 4 Rev 10's would be too much. When I upgrade, I think that I will stick with 2 Rev 10's and an amp that will utilize their power.

11 hours ago, sandaddiction said:

What is the best tower speaker combination for Surf and Wake?

How would 2 pairs Rev 10s be?  Would the 410s be much better?  Any other suggestions?

Also, please include amp recommendations.

Thanks

A well-powered pair of Rev410s would top my list. But not a good fit for every tower. Several options would be:

One pair Wetsounds Rev410s driven by two JL Audio HD750/1.

One pair Wetsounds Rev410s driven by one Wetsounds bridged SD4.

Two pair Wetsounds Rev10s driven by one Wetsounds SD2.

One pair Wetsounds Rev10s driven by one JL Audio HD750/1.   

If fitment permitted, a pair of Rev-410 is top in term of both sound quality and peak output. SD-4 would be my top choice here. If a tube style tower does not allow for that, then a Rev-410 and  a pair of Rev-10 on an SD-6. Next up would be two pair of Rev-10 on an SD-2. All these options are pretty close on price, so I would let the tower dictate the setup.  

6 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Just a little hijack!

Is there a good 2 amp setup to run a 23lsv? 2 pair 8's, 2 pair 6.5s, sub and one pair of rev 10s?

A good place to start would be a Wetsounds SD6 for all in-boats and sub + a Wetsounds SD2 for the tower. Or, you could substitute a Wetsounds bridged SYN-DX4 on the tower.   

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Just a little hijack!

Is there a good 2 amp setup to run a 23lsv? 2 pair 8's, 2 pair 6.5s, sub and one pair of rev 10s?

Syn-DX-6 for in-boats and 4 ohm woofer and Syn-DX-4 for towers is worth a look. 

I just pulled the trigger on one pair of Rev10's with a JL 750/1 amp and the double G3 tower brackets from Earmark Audio. Should install next week and let you know how they sound. I did not like the old twin pair of Alpha II cans as I was constantly banging my head on them. Blew my port side Alpha II speakers and probably the stock Rockford amp as well, even though volume was not that high (~60%). I did have a stereo guy adjust my amp outputs so I'm thinking he might have done that incorrectly. Thanks to all the Crew members and their input for helping with my decision.  I was close to buying two pair of the Exile SXT9Q which I think would have also been a good choice. But my setup was cheaper and I liked the idea of more headroom and the 10" speakers. 

29 minutes ago, sandaddiction said:

Would to pair of Rev 10s require additional batteries or any other electric work?

There is no need for an alternator change. With additional amplifier power, you will need to fortify the supply cables. The rest and to what degree will greatly depend on your usage habits, both in the way you use the stereo and the boat. If you play the system at rest for a lengthy duration at a high volume level then you should increase the capacity of what you deem the stereo bank, like two parallel batteries in the area of 150 to 225 collective Amp/Hours on the stereo bank. If you have this extra capacity and you are using a large percentage of this capacity, it will increase your dependency on an AC shore charger. So, yes, there is always some trickle down with every upgrade.       

• 1 month later...

I notice that many people recommend the JL HD750/1 amp for one pair of Rev10's.  I assume there is just one output on this amp?  Do you just wire the pair of speakers parallel and then run to the amp?  Is there a thread that had wiring and set up tips for this amp powering 1 set of Rev10's? 

The monoblock JL Audio HD750/1 has two terminals just like a stereo amplifier, although the two terminals are paralleled internally.

For a good source for either a JL Audio or Wetsounds amplifier, get with Odin at Earmark Marine. He is on another level when it comes to dialing in the tuning portion. Oftentimes he also presets before shipping as many of the settings as possible for your particular application, and then will walk you through the final input gain and other fine tuning at the end of the installation.     

• 3 months later...
On 8/31/2016 at 4:02 PM, skylerchamblee said:

Kicker kmt67.... I like em.... I have the horns and full range

Is there a way to Mount the kicker kmt67 on the  illusion XS tower

1 hour ago, Kmmarine0352 said:

Is there a way to Mount the kicker kmt67 on the  illusion XS tower

Yeah  I will send a pic. Pm me a cell number and I'll get it to you.