Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 LSV 23 - Wetsounds Stereo

sandaddiction

24 minutes ago, Fman said:

wetsounds1 @simonWS is the Malibu WS sub box comparable to this box? (I am not kidding either, seriously...) this Qbomb is 1.3 cu ft sealed and well built for $56, have been using it for the past two years with zero problems and great results.  I am pretty sure this one does not leak any air either.

QBOMB12SSINGLE__37527.1406268100.1280.12

Gimme some of that Qbomb! :thumbup:

@Fman I'm really not sure.  I like to speak from experience and I don't have any with that box.  However, it's within tolerance for sealed box spec for the XS-12.  I'm sure I could make it sound good if that's what I got to work with.

I guess we can assume the box WS ('17 Malibu) is using will be leaps and bounds better than this $56 Qbomb, especially for the price of this system that is going into a new wake setter.  I know if I were to end up going with a factory installed system I would really hope it was ALL installed with high level components and materials.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the great write up. 

I sat in one today and too noticed the volume seemed lacking. That is concerning. 

Glad you noticed the soft button for faster control of zones. I was in the main screen thinking it takes forever to change the zones. 

I know it sucks, and it may not be an option. But Bluetooth always lacks in volume and quality. It's just a fact. I run a wired connection all the time. It's a much cleaner/louder sound. Always.

• Like 2

I only ever use BT but I've never noticed that full volume makes a difference in signal quality.  I mean it's just 1s and 0s going through the air, right?  What is there to distort? Can a bluetooth signal "clip"?  I have never noticed if so.  

Edited by shawndoggy

I suspect that some of the lower sound volume on IXFE's review was due to no tower speakers. Lot of difference on my boat with the towers turned down or off and max volume. I think 75% of volume on the phone may be a little excessive too. I usually run mine around 85-90% and notice no distortion. 

I have the exile BT. That has a high level RCA output. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed liked with the volume on the phone all the way up I noticed easier clipping at really high volumes. So, I just leave the phone volume around 80%. 

Maybe the new system was optimized with phone volume all the way up? 

4 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I have the exile BT. That has a high level RCA output. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed liked with the volume on the phone all the way up I noticed easier clipping at really high volumes. So, I just leave the phone volume around 80%. 

Maybe the new system was optimized with phone volume all the way up? 

Really high volumes of what?  You mean so with your stereo at conversational levels (master volume) but getting a BT signal from the phone at max, that the moderate level of sound coming from your stereo sounds distorted?  I've never heard that.

Now if what you are saying is that you are able to turn the master volume up high enough to make the sound distort when you have the phone at max volume, that's a different thing.  That would mean that either the source (exile BT) is being overdriven at your EQ (i.e. the input gains on the eq need to be turned down) or the gains on your amps are set too high.  In that case I can see how using the phone as your "governor" might be useful.

On a pro-tuned 2017 factory system, though, I'd assume that wetsounds would assume that consumers would be using their BT phones at full BT volume.  Maybe @SimonWS could weigh in on that?

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1
Just now, shawndoggy said:

Now if what you are saying is that you are able to turn the master volume up high enough to make the sound distort when you have the phone at max volume, that's a different thing.  That would mean that either the source (exile BT) is being overdriven at your EQ (i.e. the input gains on the eq need to be turned down) or the gains on your amps are set too high.  In that case I can see how using the phone as your "governor" might be useful.

^^^Yes. That's what I meant. 

I have been under the impression also that you should not run your phone (iphone 6plus) at max volume,, because its like running you radio at full volume, and you will get distortion? I would love for

someone to explain this. Also what is the max volume on my factory radio (2016 23LSV) before distortion?

On the KingStarboard subject, most of what I have seen used OEM on a towboat has been a less dense, less oily version of KingStarboard, another product in the HDPE group, that looks the same but has a little different chemistry. Mostly K.S. is reserved for exposed applications, like an exterior hatch on a cruiser or motor yacht for example, where the edges must be polished to a perfect high gloss and it has to endure endless hours of UV exposure. In my experience, you can't paint nor adhere to the true K.S. material like you can with other similar HDPE products, not when you need real structural integrity. But again, there are material variations within the HDPE polymer family where certain adhesives do work. 

I can't imagine Malibu returning to any wood-based product for any reason.  

Yes, MDF is micro-porous until laminated or sealed by some others means. There is always a calculated output loss with MDF but it is too slow and too minimal to be of concern as applied to a sub enclosure. Nothing as bad as passing a speaker wire through MDF with nothing more than a caulk seal.           

5 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Really high volumes of what?  You mean so with your stereo at conversational levels (master volume) but getting a BT signal from the phone at max, that the moderate level of sound coming from your stereo sounds distorted?  I've never heard that.

On a pro-tuned 2017 factory system, though, I'd assume that wetsounds would assume that consumers would be using their BT phones at full BT volume.  Maybe @SimonWS could weigh in on that?

@IXFE @shawndoggyThe system is optimized to run your phone volume at MAX.  We used the few most popular devices to check gains with BT.  All of the phones have different BT output signal so there is some variance depending on which phone you have.

The guys replying in this thread are a little more cautious of sound and have self control but we have to keep in mind of what most people do when out on the water.  I've seen it hundreds of times when a couple of drinks go down then the volume goes to max if it wasn't already.  Because we optimized for max phone volume you shouldn't see any significant distortion since we use a wide range of music genres when tuning them.

On the subject of if the tower speakers aren't ordered.  A dealer can order through Malibu the parts to add on to the system.  They can also do this if they don't option the subwoofer.

Thanks for the feedback!

Simon

Wet Sounds

1 hour ago, David said:

On the KingStarboard subject, most of what I have seen used OEM on a towboat has been a less dense, less oily version of KingStarboard, another product in the HDPE group, that looks the same but has a little different chemistry. Mostly K.S. is reserved for exposed applications, like an exterior hatch on a cruiser or motor yacht for example, where the edges must be polished to a perfect high gloss and it has to endure endless hours of UV exposure. In my experience, you can't paint nor adhere to the true K.S. material like you can with other similar HDPE products, not when you need real structural integrity. But again, there are material variations within the HDPE polymer family where certain adhesives do work. 

I can't imagine Malibu returning to any wood-based product for any reason.  

Yes, MDF is micro-porous until laminated or sealed by some others means. There is always a calculated output loss with MDF but it is too slow and too minimal to be of concern as applied to a sub enclosure. Nothing as bad as passing a speaker wire through MDF with nothing more than a caulk seal.           

They are using the King StarLite XL which is similar to StarBoard, but slightly different.

Wood is definitely out of the question due to durability.  I mentioned it before because I wanted to make some comparisons to MDF with the new material because of how popular MDF is for enclosures.

4 hours ago, whatshesaid said:

I have been under the impression also that you should not run your phone (iphone 6plus) at max volume,, because its like running you radio at full volume, and you will get distortion? I would love for

someone to explain this. Also what is the max volume on my factory radio (2016 23LSV) before distortion?

@whatshesaid With the new OEM system from Malibu you are able to max the stereo volume through the Viper screen and also max your phone volume out.  We worked with Medallion to ensure volume limits were set in place to where the headunit will not distort.

Crank it up all the way and enjoy!

@wetsounds1 @simonws 

Maybe this question was already asked.... Why does Malibu keep using the "shelf" mounts when we all know the G3 has much better WS swivel mounts available?  Those shelf mounts look like an afterthought to me.  Can you order the system with the nicer swivel mounts WS offers?  and also to clarify you are not able to order the REV 10s?

Just now, Fman said:

@wetsounds1 @simonws 

Maybe this question was already asked.... Why does Malibu keep using the "shelf" mounts when we all know the G3 has much better WS swivel mounts available?  Those shelf mounts look like an afterthought to me.  Can you order the system with the nicer swivel mounts WS offers?  and also to clarify you are not able to order the REV 10s?

The swivel mounts for the Malibu tower speakers are available from them as an option for both towers.  They use the swivel bases only and mount right to the bracket or tower (G4).

Just now, SimonWS said:

The swivel mounts for the Malibu tower speakers are available from them as an option for both towers.  They use the swivel bases only and mount right to the bracket or tower (G4).

Are the shelf mounts standard, and are the swivel mounts are extra charge?  or do you have the option to select your choice for same price?

The swivel bases mount directly to the shelf bracket on G3.5 tower.  The tower speakers are direct mount as standard (can't swivel), then swivels are additional option.  Both of those bolt directly to the shelf.

The shelf bracket is the only bracket available from Malibu for the G3 towers.  When optioning the tower speakers through Malibu, the swivels are available as an option and still mount to the shelf bracket.