Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 LSV 23 - Wetsounds Stereo

sandaddiction

17 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Malibu, I know you're listening! Please ad a separate sub volume function to the screens. Just like tower, interiors and main. PLEASE! And make this available with a software update! :)

If they are listening, please give me a proper sub enclosure under warranty on my 2016 :)   Oh, and zone control, properly tuned amps, multiple bluetooth profiles, bluetooth control to change tracks from the transom remote, etc.     

No offense to Wetsounds or Malibu, but I'd still go aftermarket with no hesitation if I was buying new right now.  The stereo on my 2016 is probably my single biggest point of disappointment on it.   The integration with the 7" screen isn't worth all the other potential issues.  One year of vast improvement still wouldn't be enough for me with the sticker prices these boats have.  Let's face it -these are luxury toys with 6 figure prices.  Compromising on something "simple" like a stereo really shouldn't even be a discussion.   

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

If they are listening, please give me a proper sub enclosure under warranty on my 2016 :)   Oh, and zone control, properly tuned amps, multiple bluetooth profiles, bluetooth control to change tracks from the transom remote, etc.     

No offense to Wetsounds or Malibu, but I'd still go aftermarket with no hesitation if I was buying new right now.  The stereo on my 2016 is probably my single biggest point of disappointment on it.   The integration with the 7" screen isn't worth all the other potential issues.  One year of vast improvement still wouldn't be enough for me with the sticker prices these boats have.  Let's face it -these are luxury toys with 6 figure prices.  Compromising on something "simple" like a stereo really shouldn't even be a discussion.   

It is a fairly simple fix.  To get RF sounding DECENT, not awesome! 

Step 1. Buy and install qbomb box referenced in this thread

Step 2.  Buy EQ/Zone Control WS420/exile ZLD/audio control EQS 

Step 3. Buy RF  RFX3 BT module or equivalent.  This allows fade function  from screen, without changing source

Step 4. TUNE SYSTEM.  voids warranty on amps, but way worth it.  Plus RF amps are cheap if one blows!

<$500 in parts and system will sound night and day different.  Your not going to be rivaling full custom,  but will definitely be a huge improvement.   

ZLD and 420 will have superior BT, but device will be mounted under helm, that will become new stereo controls.  EQS mounts by the amps and uses all factory controls.

Edited by DarkSide
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

It is a fairly simple fix.  To get RF sounding DECENT, not awesome! 

Step 1. Buy and install qbomb box referenced in this thread

Step 2.  Buy EQ/Zone Control WS420/exile ZLD/audio control EQS 

Step 3. Buy RF  RFX3 BT module or equivalent.  This allows fade function  from screen, without changing source

Step 4. TUNE SYSTEM.  voids warranty on amps, but way worth it.  Plus RF amps are cheap if one blows!

<$500 in parts and system will sound night and day different.  Your not going to be rivaling full custom,  but will definitely be a huge improvement.   

ZLD and 420 will have superior BT, but device will be mounted under helm, that will become new stereo controls.  EQS mounts by the amps and uses all factory controls.

Yea, most of that is on my winter project list (I need to research #3 more).  I'm just a little bitter that you have to do much of anything given the price - plus, in your scenarios above, you lose more function of the transom remote I think.   

No, not if you use EQS.  That is why I prefer that solution.  ALL factory controls work, system just sounds better!  It is also easiest to install, and has best EQ of all 3 listed options.

Yes I feel your pain 100k and stereo SUCKS! 

Plumb front channel to in boat, rear channel to tower or vice versa then use fader to blend tower and in boats,  fairly simple, and works great.

@ctvandy23 yes, it is a 2 minute install.   The black box next to the amps has a BT input connector.  Simply plug it in.

Edited by DarkSide
3 minutes ago, ctvandy23 said:

Thanks.  That's how I have it set up now with the Viper BT.  Is there an advantage with the RF BT over then Viper?  

Yes, you have fade function within that mode.  With Viper you have to go to a different source to fade.  Not a big deal, but makes it simpler.

7 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Yes, you have fade function within that mode.  With Viper you have to go to a different source to fade.  Not a big deal, but makes it simpler.

Got a photo perhaps?  I can't picture this.  

I ran a hard wired connection from black box to helm and have used that most of the time.  Admittedly the cable has gotten flakey a few times so I switched over to BT.  Sound seems a touch better and a bit louder with cable but display is better with BT.  I will have to give the RF a try next season.  

On September 8, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Josh4mc said:

Let me know if you need an A-driver! :cheers:

I will take one for the team and volunteer for this gut wrenching task as well

On September 8, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Josh4mc said:

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • Like 1

I got a couple of thoughts.  

1) the integrated zone control is nice, but I would prefer three independent small volume knobs--one for each zone (tower, sub, interior).  I don't like the look of a large ZLD or ws420 hanging below the dash either.  Honestly, I haven't seen a three zone volume setup that I like better than what I did, which is easy with JL Audio amps.

post-4451-14257093760834.jpg

Left knob is interior, middle is sub, and silver is tower.  The sport knob is master volume.

2) the shelves on the G3.5 also support forward and back facing tower lights.  Malibu would have to make new mount locations for those lights if they dropped the shelf brackets

Given the improvements of the new stereo and the increased complexity to mod the new stereo, if I were to purchase a new BU, I'd probably just purchase the full OEM system and call it good enough.  I'm certain I would miss my quick tower volume knob.  I'm constantly messing with master volume and tower volume on the water, particularly when a rider falls.

Edited by Cory
  • Like 2
On September 8, 2016 at 1:49 PM, teamerickson said:

I'll give a full review in 2 months. :)

8 hours ago, ibelonginprison said:

If any if you are at Surf Expo - go find the MasterPro Audio booth and give them a listen.

Worth the effort.

Yup Yup

its insane ......

Edited by ConnollyCrew