Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 LSV 23 - Wetsounds Stereo

sandaddiction

Has anyone heard the new Wetsounds stereo?  How does it sound vs. the Rockford Fosgate system?  Has the Sub improved?

Does anyone know exactly what speakers, amps and components they use?

Thanks

• Like 1

I have a 2016 23 lsv with 2 Icon 8's and we didn't like the stereo at first, but we have grown acustomed to it. It fills the cabin with a nice smooth sound with little bass, and maintains a nice crisp clear sound throughout the while cruising or resting. My friend has a 2017 23 lsv with 4 Rev 8's and his stereo has a lot more punch to it. Basically it is louder and fuller, it has more thump and bass than mine. I have heard other aftermarket stereos that sound better, but for the most part the stereo is pretty good, just not great. It can be heard from the dock for a long ways out to sea. I don't wakeboard so I am not sure how good it is 60 feet away, but it is plenty for those of you who surf. In our 2016, it can be difficult to hear the Icons while surfing, but no problem with the 4 Revs 8's.

I'm an exile fan and the new stereos sound pretty awesome, especially compared to the RF equipment used in prior years.  Stereo functionality from the touch screen is greatly improved, and the amps are actually tuned for each model boat.  There is a catch, you are married to the wet sound equipment as there amps now simply plug in via a Malibu harness, no RCAs, so you cannot simply switch to another manufacturer amp.  You can, but it will be a lot more complicated bypassing the Malibu harness.  If you run a ZLD or 420, then you won't need to worry about using the Malibu equipment and head unit, but if you want to use the Malibu controls, wet sounds it is

Edited by wakebrdr94
1 hour ago, wakebrdr94 said:

I'm an exile fan and the new stereos sound pretty awesome, especially compared to the RF equipment used in prior years.  Stereo functionality from the touch screen is greatly improved, and the amps are actually tuned for each model boat.  There is a catch, you are married to the wet sound equipment as there amps now simply plug in via a Malibu harness, no RCAs, so you cannot simply switch to another manufacturer amp.  You can, but it will be a lot more complicated bypassing the Malibu harness.  If you run a ZLD or 420, then you won't need to worry about using the Malibu equipment and head unit, but if you want to use the Malibu controls, wet sounds it is

Dislike

If I understand this correctly, this also means swapping amps out for more power is impossible. So I guess we just have to trust that after years of underpowered boats that Malibu suddenly got it right. 

No thanks. Stereo delete for me once again

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Dislike

If I understand this correctly, this also means swapping amps out for more power is impossible. So I guess we just have to trust that after years of underpowered boats that Malibu suddenly got it right. 

No thanks. Stereo delete for me once again

You know the brand I like, but yeah, they got it right.  I'll stereo delete as well, but I have to tell it how I see it

7 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Maybe Malibu looked at what is offered by MC and Nautique and decided to finally get in the game? I'm optimistic but don't want to be the first to try it. 

Nautique has the same problem as Malibu for years.  This year they stepped up to JL Audio which is a pretty nice upgrade for the amps and speakers, but still have a Polk HU that some folks don't like  My 2 Nautiques have had very good sounding stereos without issues, but some people hate that Polk HU.  I personally have liked it and how it integrates into the screen is just fine with me.  Tige has used Wetsounds for years and you can get a stock system that is very nice.  I have been really pleased with the speed based volume control on the 2016 models and would miss that with a different HU.  

I am not worried that future Malibus will be underpowered with WS.  Wetsounds understands us.  

As much as I love WS stuff, I would also consider a stereo delete just because I hate the idea of being strongarmed into getting their stuff.  

• Like 2

Any idea as to what the components are? I'm wanting Rev 10s instead of doing the factory Rev 8s. If I opt for the amp to power the two pair of Rev 8s, will that amp push one pair of Rev 10s? 

12 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

You know the brand I like, but yeah, they got it right.  I'll stereo delete as well, but I have to tell it how I see it

I wasn't trying to make a brand argument. I have owned both. They are both good. But as you well know, the devil is in the details.  

I'm simply saying I don't like the proprietary wiring harness which eliminates the ability to make small, modest improvements to the factory system. If I'm reading your post right, you can't do something as elementary as swap out an amp.  And am I supposed to just trust that the new software based, touch screen zone control works perfectly, isn't annoying to use, etc?  Am I supposed to believe that the sport knob magically works all of the sudden w/out a hint of latency or feedback?  Am I supposed to accept on faith that the Viper 2 BT works like magic all of the sudden?  No more range issues?  No more noise?  Worlds with transome remote?  Okeydokey...

You have to put a lot of faith in the factory "getting it right" and I'm sorry, after seeing Malibu screw it up for more than a decade on the factory system, I'm not as ready to "just believe" as you all seem to be.  

And if you think that just because Wetsounds is involved that's like some sort of pixie dust... let me tell you I've seen that company sell out before to get an OEM design win. 

I think you guys are being naive... that said I admit I haven't sampled the goods, so I'm inclined to believe you, 94. I'm just sceptical, that's all. 

• Like 3
Just now, MLA said:

No 17's here at the Charlotte Fall show this weekend. 

I will be super interested to hear your take after sampling the new factory goods. 

What do you make of the proprietary amp connections?  Also, all the digital inputs (volume, zone control, etc.)?

Thanks in advance...

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

I wasn't trying to make a brand argument. I have owned both. They are both good. But as you well know, the devil is in the details.  

I'm simply saying I don't like the proprietary wiring harness which eliminates the ability to make small, modest improvements to the factory system. If I'm reading your post right, you can't do something as elementary as swap out an amp.  And am I supposed to just trust that the new software based, touch screen zone control works perfectly, isn't annoying to use, etc?  Am I supposed to believe that the sport knob magically works all of the sudden w/out a hint of latency or feedback?  Am I supposed to accept on faith that the Viper 2 BT works like magic all of the sudden?  No more range issues?  No more noise?  Worlds with transome remote?  Okeydokey...

You have to put a lot of faith in the factory "getting it right" and I'm sorry, after seeing Malibu screw it up for more than a decade on the factory system, I'm not as ready to "just believe" as you all seem to be.  

And if you think that just because Wetsounds is involved that's like some sort of pixie dust... let me tell you I've seen that company sell out before to get an OEM design win. 

I think you guys are being naive... that said I admit I haven't sampled the goods, so I'm inclined to believe you, 94. I'm just sceptical, that's all. 

Odin didn't seem to think it would be to hard to make changes. :)

But we won't know until someone gets there hands on one  

Edited by teamerickson
2 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Odin didn't seem to think it would be to hard to make changes. :)

But we won't know until someone gets there hands on one  

That's the issue though, isn't it...?

Does anybody want to be a guinie pig with their $100k purchase?  

I nominate you! :Tease3:

• Like 2

So there's really no more Rockford?  Then what's the headunit?  And what do they use for transom remote?  Sat radio integration?  And does the factory Bluetooth work with ALL the audio functions?

Im not traveling this week so maybe I need a proper demo. I'm just having a hard time believing it's all rainbows and sunshine. Has anybody even posted what componants this system uses?? Nope!  How big the sub box is or how it's constructed?  Nope!  But I'm sure it's awesome... so awesome they're still using shelves on tower. 

• Like 3

You would think it wouldn't be that hard for Malibu to get this right. Does anyone at Malibu follow blogs like this? I guess we should give them credit for making a change and trying to improve the stereo. In my view, these boats are big floating couches that have awesome stereos, and can pull people through the water. Why not allow customers to choose from a selection of stereo options?  Would it be that hard? Malibu has certainly pushed the envelope with regards to the automation and incorporation of electronics into these boats. Just need to make some more improvements on the stereo side. 

10 hours ago, IXFE said:

So there's really no more Rockford?  Then what's the headunit?  And what do they use for transom remote?  Sat radio integration?  And does the factory Bluetooth work with ALL the audio functions?

Im not traveling this week so maybe I need a proper demo. I'm just having a hard time believing it's all rainbows and sunshine. Has anybody even posted what componants this system uses?? Nope!  How big the sub box is or how it's constructed?  Nope!  But I'm sure it's awesome... so awesome they're still using shelves on tower. 

I'm sure the system is good for the masses and MUCH improved over the previous offerings, but most likely people serious about their stereo will order their boat with the 'stereo delete' option.  It's too bad Malibu decided on an integrated harness.

1 hour ago, pknappe said:

You would think it wouldn't be that hard for Malibu to get this right. Does anyone at Malibu follow blogs like this? I guess we should give them credit for making a change and trying to improve the stereo. In my view, these boats are big floating couches that have awesome stereos, and can pull people through the water. Why not allow customers to choose from a selection of stereo options?  Would it be that hard? Malibu has certainly pushed the envelope with regards to the automation and incorporation of electronics into these boats. Just need to make some more improvements on the stereo side. 

Yes they do poke around on here.

I just got back from listening and checking out a 2017 that has the base stereo package. No sub or tower speakers. It does sound good and it will get loud. The built in equalizer is ok but I still think I would want a ZLD or 420. I looked in at the amp and with the proprietary hook ups adding an aftermarket equilizer would be challenging. I wouldn't want to start cutting wires in a harness. There's no RCAs. I'm sure it could be figured out but it won't be as easy. Heck just adding a sub and towers will be more difficult. I think it's either stereo delete or the whole stereo package enchalida. 

I didn't really notice any latency with the volume. Maybe a firmware update?

Edited by teamerickson
1 hour ago, teamerickson said:

I just got back from listening and checking out a 2017 that has the base stereo package. No sub or tower speakers. It does sound good and it will get loud. The built in equalizer is ok but I still think I would want a ZLD or 420. I looked in at the amp and with the proprietary hook ups adding an aftermarket equilizer would be challenging. I wouldn't want to start cutting wires in a harness. There's no RCAs. I'm sure it could be figured out but it won't be as easy. Heck just adding a sub and towers will be more difficult. I think it's either stereo delete or the whole stereo package enchalida. 

I didn't really notice any latency with the volume. Maybe a firmware update?

Any idea on what Wetsounds speakers are actually in the boat?