Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BT Track Forward/Back function not working on MUX/Transom remote

NewMalibu

I just picked up a 2016 23LSV with the factory rear MUX and RF Transom remote. when i am connected to my phone via MalibuBT, i am not able to skip tracks forward/back from the rear lounge MUX or the transom remote. however, i can do it from the 7" or the sport knob. 

If i am listening to the radio, the |<< and >>| buttons on the MUX/Remote work to adjust the radio frequency. 

Has anyone else tried using the MUX/Remote for skipping tracks that are being played via BT? if so, is there a setting somewhere that needs to be change in the HU?

i have tried my dealer, but they don't seem to know the answer to this and have not gotten a response back from Malibu yet.

TIA.

I think this is because the BT receiver is integrated with the Helm system and only connects to the stereo via an AUX audio in. Those two remotes connect directly to the black box and do not communicate with the helm. 

58 minutes ago, MLA said:

I think this is because the BT receiver is integrated with the Helm system and only connects to the stereo via an AUX audio in. Those two remotes connect directly to the black box and do not communicate with the helm. 

Interesting, thanks. seems like some pretty basic functionality that should be incorporated into the overall system. 

10 minutes ago, t a said:

i connect to to "RFX6000" or whatever it is which I believe is the black box BT instead of viper BT.  Rear control skips tracks just fine for me.

can you elaborate? i have noticed that there are two BlueTooth inputs in the 7" control. one is MalibuBT and one is BT. are you saying that you are connecting to the BT input? if so, do you lose any other functionality? 

The rockford BT connects to the black box via a data cable, so you that by-directional control. The medallion viper BT only connects to the black box by way of an audio input. The transom and main cabin remotes only connect to the black box, so n means of communications with the viper BT. On your 2016, I think only the one BT is functional, the other is not even there, just listed on the display. 

51 minutes ago, NewMalibu said:

Interesting, thanks. seems like some pretty basic functionality that should be incorporated into the overall system. 

can you elaborate? i have noticed that there are two BlueTooth inputs in the 7" control. one is MalibuBT and one is BT. are you saying that you are connecting to the BT input? if so, do you lose any other functionality? 

On my '15, I connect just to the BT on the 7" screen which is the RFX6000 when pairing.  I do not connect to "Malibu BT."  I believe I'm connecting directly to the RF head unit.  The only functionality I'm aware of losing is the song text on the 7" screen.  The rear controls work with track skipping whether it be on iTunes, Pandora, soundcloud, or whatever I'm using.

8 hours ago, MLA said:

The rockford BT connects to the black box via a data cable, so you that by-directional control. The medallion viper BT only connects to the black box by way of an audio input. The transom and main cabin remotes only connect to the black box, so n means of communications with the viper BT. On your 2016, I think only the one BT is functional, the other is not even there, just listed on the display. 

the more i think about this, the less it makes sense. even if the MedallionBT is only connected to the black box via an audio cable, we know:

1) the MedallionBT can communicate with the sport knob and 7" for both control of skip forward/back and song/artist data

2) the MUX switch has to have some type of 2 way communication with the medallion because it is allowing for control of the lights and other functions.

3) the black box is also sending some type of feedback back to the Medallion to show the volume levels and radio frequencies (if you increase the volume on the MUX/Remote, the feedback is shown visually on the 7", same thing for radio frequencies)

So if that is the case, then it seems like the remotes should both be able to send a signal over a data cable to the medallion to tell the BT to skip forward/back. If i truly cannot skip forward/back from the remotes, then it seems to me like this is missed functionality in the specs, not a technical feasibility issue.

Am i missing something here?

Edited by NewMalibu

Its less about what is possible and more about what it was designed to do. The components likely do have the ability to communicate in the desired manor, may just lack a couple additional circuits and new firmware.  

23 minutes ago, MLA said:

Its less about what is possible and more about what it was designed to do. The components likely do have the ability to communicate in the desired manor, may just lack a couple additional circuits and new firmware.  

I guess that is my point. it appears that someone forgot to include some very basic functionality into their overall design. From i can figure, it looks like the medallion box and the black box have the ability to communicate and act upon this command, but someone forgot to instrument it. theoretically, it should be a pretty simple update and surprised that it was not included.

we spend a lot of time floating with the family at the sand bar. having the rear transom remote and rear coolers are great, but having to jump into the boat to change the track, doesn't make a lot of sense.