Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Downed surfer protocol

shawndoggy

18 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Why do you ask this question SD is what I am curious about?

Did you and wifey have an argument about how she just lays in the water and waits for you?  I know that is what mine does.  

FWIW, I always paddle back because it is boring to just sit there. Not sure if it helps the driver but it helps me.

Oh me personally, I always jump on the board and do a little paddling.  I mean why not, right?  I'm much more manuverable than a heavy boat.  I've just gotten a little irritated myself with people who can't move four inches to when I circle past.  But I wanted to see if that was just me.... and it seems like it kinda is from the responses in this thread.

I'm a paddler my wife's a waiter.  But she drives the boat really well so I keep my mouth shut.  So many stories on this site that remind me why I only like small crews.  We hardly shut the boat off at all but I should, turned 265 hours yesterday and more than half I bet is idle or just stereo on

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Oh me personally, I always jump on the board and do a little paddling.  I mean why not, right?  I'm much more manuverable than a heavy boat.  I've just gotten a little irritated myself with people who can't move four inches to when I circle past.  But I wanted to see if that was just me.... and it seems like it kinda is from the responses in this thread.

I'm with you buddy.  A little effort would be nice.  I mean wakesurfing isn't the most taxing sport on the earth.  

• Like 2

@bamaboy  FWIW; if you're not huffing and puffing after every pass/set you're doing it wrong.  

But I would agree; the riders that aren't willing to move 1" when you're trying to pick em up drive me NUTS.   Same with the ones that start swimming towards you as you're turning around and screw up your line/pick up point.   Just wait where you are until i get close ...and take a paddle or 2 to help.  It's really simple. 

• Like 2
Just now, -BS- said:

@bamaboy  FWIW; if you're not huffing and puffing after every pass/set you're doing it wrong.  

But I would agree; the riders that aren't willing to move 1" when you're trying to pick em up drive me NUTS.   Same with the ones that start swimming towards you as you're turning around and screw up your line/pick up point.   Just wait where you are until i get close ...and take a paddle or 2 to help.  It's really simple. 

No I'm just a supremely conditioned individual.  I mean look at my avatar.

Look for me on American Ninja Warrior this week.  

• Like 4

how about the newb wake boarders, go to loop around and they can't seem to move their arm out a foot to grab the rope. We have a joke now that goes "grab the rope, Alice"... suffice to say a girl named Alice couldn't manage to grab the rope even if it was touching her. what was my problem as a boat driver? I didn't place the darn thing in the palm of her hand!

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I thought we settled this.... not a sport

24 minutes ago, Stevo said:

And if you aren't pushing yourself and trying new things your stagnet.

Yeah, I could care less if people consider it a sport.  But there's a difference between taking the kiddos to the local lake to go "swimming".........and actual swimming.  There just is.

I do what is fun for me.  Big turns are fun.  They require effort.  Linking them is fun.  It requires effort.  Airs are fun.  They require effort.  Spins are fun.  They require effort.  Being able to link it all together seamlessly & never falling (something I'm constantly striving to do) is the absolute funnest!  But again; there's that whole ""physical exertion"" thing.........

Now........after allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the custom boats & boards & mods & research & discussion & time & energy......Your brand of wakesurfing "fun" is standing still, avoiding any form of exertion?  Awesome!  Enjoy!  But I'd caution you that your version of wakesurfing may not be the same as actual wakesurfing.

11 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Yup. 

On August 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM, shawndoggy said:

So when the boat is circling back after you fall out of the wave, and you've retrieved the board, do you swim to the boat, let the boat come to you, or meet the boat halfway?

If I have a big swim to get board no I make them come to me, if I don't then I've learned to swim some towards boat bow corner and  along side the board and it sort  of drafts you making it easier than paddling the board and the small swim is to get myself right up against hull to slide down hull with my hand to rope .  If they are doing their job keeping boat in gear as they turn wheel and retrieve and put thehull side right on my shoulder. Why swim snd both ropes are no problem if they can drive.    I try not to get that close to the newbies.  Also the long surf rope with the t handle really keeps the rope where you need it when retrieving so less swimming when bad driving and unless I am transferring we just throw it on the other side of wave and it's always right where it should be when they circle back and cause of its length we don't have to get as close.  One problem the shorter home made ones with real handle are better to get up newbies and across and out of the foam.  Regular rope handle easier for riders but harder to put right on the surfer unless you put hull on their shoulder.  If I'm to close to bank I swim out for that reason to make it easier in driver and getting me back up quicker.  Hate when wife takes her time coming when I am practicing 360's as your eager to get up cause doing those doesn't make you tired, it makes you mad when you fall so waiting is no fun

the other day wife tried backside with long safer surf rope and didn't throw rope away from fall and got a rope burn frim the safer rope , but she should have pitched it instead of holding it coming down on top of it.. 

So I think the rope makes a big difference in all that for the swimming or not deal 

Edited by granddaddy55
On August 28, 2016 at 11:41 PM, Josh4mc said:

With my surfgate boat it refuses to turn towards the surf side.  If you turn that direction you end up making the widest freaking turn and have very little control of where you end up regarding the downed surfer. For this reason I always turn away from the surfer which places them on the port side for regular and starboard side for goofies.

I tend to turn off the engine if switching riders will take a while. I'll leave it running if it's a quick changeover.

@Stevo You going to let him call your baby a pig?!? :Tease3:

Why, if I spin the wheel as I'm decelerating and coming off plane while still in gear, it rotates on a dime in either direction avoiding all of the big rollers , if every one is seated in the boat thus shouldn't be a problem.  It took my G23 buddy schooling me at his helm to learn that cause I was driving his boat not so well and they handle perfect once you get used to the throttle pressure difference to the axis .  He also had the walk thru and you have to get that technique down or you fill the boat with water coming off wakeboard plane over the walk thru. I too turn away from surf side wave cause easier , but the technique works whether you turn in that direction or not.

My wife drives for me a lot and she pretty much now puts that boat and rope right on me, but I still watch her struggle some when she turns into surf wave but she never gets the boat wet, but it looks like a pig to drive, I do the spin and you don't even see the boat rock very much and I'm in gear and headed for surfer instantly as I never came out of gear which is why when fully turned it spins almost on an "axis".  Ha ha

My g23 buddy had been driving twin screws and inboards for 25 years and he is amazingly patient with people driving his boat so he can relax, but he politely keeps reminding us of how to do it right till we get it, then he doesn't even look up from his phone as we ride and surf or his conversations with others in the boat, he's amazing 

i will admit their is a big difference riding regular vs goofy in the turn around, but this technique eliminates that difference

rule- never come out of gear with your inboard unless you want to stop or you have brought the rope to surfer and it is already in their hands, at least for those who know the routine, damn thing is a pwc on steroids and as we all know their is no stearing without gear so that is the critical  element of rope placement on pick up as it remains to the turning side of boat out to the side on a diagonal as long as the boat is in gear and wheel turned significantly. If out of gear it returns to trailing the boat wether the wheel is turned or not making the swim thing that much more necessary 

Edited by granddaddy55

When I drive, I deliver the rope right to the rider. When I surf, I typically have to swim a little, its usually pretty minimal. I do get pissed if we are out in a lot of wind and I have a newbee that won't put forth a little effort to get the rope. We are on a river with current and wind that play into it, so I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect your rider to swim a bit. Wakeboarders should never have to since the rope is so long.

• Like 1