Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Downed surfer protocol

shawndoggy

So when the boat is circling back after you fall out of the wave, and you've retrieved the board, do you swim to the boat, let the boat come to you, or meet the boat halfway?

since a fully weighted boat drives like a pig at idle .. I end up meeting the boat.  I'd rather do that then get run over ;)

edit:  I let the boat drive to me .. I swim to the rope.  No way I'm swimming all the way to the boat.  Just wanted to clarify what I meant

Edited by pauley71
  • Like 3

We stand on the board, wait for the boat to circle, rope gets tossed and rider grabs the rope and driver goes. Boat doesn't even come out of gear. 

Depends on who is driving. Assuming it's someone who knows "how" to drive I have the boat come back to me. If the driver is less experienced I'm more inclined to swim. 

3 hours ago, -BS- said:

I stay in place, while standing on my board (board underwater obviously)... let the boat circle back to me..... Then take a couple paddles in the direction I need to to make it easy on the driver & rope guy.

----------

Also, something we do that is different from  other boats I've been on;  Rider falls- Driver cuts throttle- driver circles to the opposite side rider fell- continues past rider 10'- THEN turns around and drives in a straight line past the rider, picking them up on the side they are riding.  It looks like a capital "D" from above (with the downed rider being in the center of the straight vertical line. -->D  Then you can continue in the direction you were.  A goofy rider pattern would be the mirror image. 

Makes is SO much easier on everyone because it's predictable.  And the rope guy can just hand the rope to the rider. And if the driver needs to alter the course, all he does is cut the arch short or make it longer.....and still drive straight by the rider.

What he said

With us, the boat will come to you.

I used to do the BS thing when we were listed but now it just seems like it's wasting time. Unlike a downed boarder or skier we don't circle around them. Just a smaller turn with the starboard/transom ending up near the surfer. 

Edited by Simo
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Simo said:

I used to do the BS thing when we were listed but now it just seems like were wasting time. Unlike a downed boarder or skier we don't circle around them. Just a smaller turn with the starboard/transom ending up near the surfer. 

This is what I do too.  It seemed different at first, not looping around, but there is no rope to loop.  Seems like cheating but works great.

On 08/26/2016 at 0:25 PM, shawndoggy said:

So when the boat is circling back after you fall out of the wave, and you've retrieved the board, do you swim to the boat, let the boat come to you, or meet the boat halfway?

All 3...just depends on the rider, driver, and situation

• Like 2

I always like to come back to my riders and pass them on the drivers side so I can see them the whole time and talk to them.   We teach a lot of people, some of which are new to water sports and sometimes they won't say it but just by seeing them close when I pass by I can tell they need a breather or their life jacket needs tighted or they sucked in some water on their fall etc.... 

Edited by vanamp
2 hours ago, Simo said:

I used to do the BS thing when we were listed but now it just seems like it's wasting time. Unlike a downed boarder or skier we don't circle around them. Just a smaller turn with the starboard/transom ending up near the surfer. 

Just to be clear, we don't circle the rider. It's just a half-circle ...NEXT to the rider.  And because a listed boat naturally turns to that side when the throttle is chopped... You're basically just finishing what the boat is trying to do itself.

The main difference between what we do and what a lot of other people do is: ALWAYS pick the rider up on the side they are riding (not the 'default' starboard/driver side)And ALWAYS continue riding in the same direction you were previously (until you reach the given turnaround points).  

• Like 1

In my boat, we are listed and the boat actually handles pretty well when weighted.  I try to bring the transom to the rider and at that point I want to be heading in the right direction.  my riders know that if the boat is coming in a little hot or off line, they just push off the side of the boat which helps slow its rotation and helps point it in the right direction.  I ALWAYS make a slight turn to the surf side so the rider doesn't have to fight the wave and cross it.  I do this even if I am headed toward shore, I just get them up and then make the turn to get on course.  I got some time behind the wheel of a 2014 LSV with surfgate.  What a beautiful boat but man what a Pig that thing was.  I just couldn't get it right and felt like I was learning to drive all over again.

1 hour ago, isellacuras said:

I got some time behind the wheel of a 2014 LSV with surfgate.  What a beautiful boat but man what a Pig that thing was.  I just couldn't get it right and felt like I was learning to drive all over again.

With my surfgate boat it refuses to turn towards the surf side.  If you turn that direction you end up making the widest freaking turn and have very little control of where you end up regarding the downed surfer. For this reason I always turn away from the surfer which places them on the port side for regular and starboard side for goofies.

I tend to turn off the engine if switching riders will take a while. I'll leave it running if it's a quick changeover.

@Stevo You going to let him call your baby a pig?!? :Tease3:

Edited by Josh4mc
7 minutes ago, Josh4mc said:

With my surfgate boat it refuses to turn towards the surf side.  If you turn that direction you end up making the widest freaking turn and have very little control of where you end up regarding the downed surfer. For this reason I always turn away from the surfer which places them on the port side for regular and starboard side for goofies.

I tend to turn off the engine if switching riders will take a while. I'll leave it running if it's a quick changeover.

I'm talking about when getting the rider up, not turning back after rider falls. 

Edited by isellacuras
8 hours ago, Josh4mc said:

@isellacuras is not wrong, but I've been on  heavy SG boats with 409 and 450 and they didn't drive much different. Getting a rider up Surfing im from the school of a slower acceleration with a slight turn into the rider vs dropping the hammer.

we ran pretty heavy (most people and gear /ballast that I've had in the boat) the current was also pretty strong that day. Trade off for that wave I guess.

Edited by Stevo
47 minutes ago, Stevo said:

@isellacuras is not wrong, but I've been on  heavy SG boats with 409 and 450 and they didn't drive much different. Getting a rider up Surfing im from the school of a slower acceleration with a slight turn into the rider vs dropping the hammer

THIS!  Absolutely, slow until Rider is standing, then increase throttle for wave to form.   1-3 seconds of gentle throttle, then 3-5 seconds of "more" throttle to get to 11.2.  

• Like 3

Why do you ask this question SD is what I am curious about?

Did you and wifey have an argument about how she just lays in the water and waits for you?  I know that is what mine does.  

FWIW, I always paddle back because it is boring to just sit there. Not sure if it helps the driver but it helps me.

• Like 2