Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which one of you guys....

NCVride

:rofl: exactly why I haven't tried that type of a dock start. If that happened to me I would never hear the end of it! Only dock starts for me have been sitting on the end and shoving off right as the driver takes off

Reminds me of a buddy of mine trying to slalom from about 3 ft up off a pontoon boat..  First try I was gentle on the throttle and he jumped to soon.  Then he proceeds to yap about the boat being to slow, his outboard could do it, etc, etc.   The second try I was just a tad more aggressive!  Check out how much rope he had!  And please ignore my wife and her alcohol induced cackle! 

th_Kordell%20Pontoon%20Start%202.mp4

• Like 2

We tried threw times this year. Even a tall dock sitting on dock board in water. Looks like it will work but never did for us. That's funny though

This is how my buddy taught me how to start at the cable park- he said it was the only way to start, did this type of fall 3-4 times before I got it right. Lol... Halfway through the day I saw an 8 yo kid do it the easy way. My buddy is a jerk.

• Like 2

:lol: holy smokes.

Side note; Why do riders hold on when the boat goes and there's still slack in the line!?  Dude.  If I hear the motor firing up and there's slack, I let go every time.  no way I'm letting some newb boat driver rip my arms off.

On August 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Malibuzer said:

Reminds me of a buddy of mine trying to slalom from about 3 ft up off a pontoon boat..  First try I was gentle on the throttle and he jumped to soon.  Then he proceeds to yap about the boat being to slow, his outboard could do it, etc, etc.   The second try I was just a tad more aggressive!  Check out how much rope he had!  And please ignore my wife and her alcohol induced cackle! 

Dude.  That's scary stuff!  That guy with a wad of rope in his hands??  Lucky he's got all his digits! 

ahopkins22LSV

Dock start fails never get old. I haven't tried one in a long time, but on a wakeboard you barely need the boat to go. When my dad would drive for me there would just be a tad bit of slack in the rope and then I would jump off the dock, as soon as I jumped up he would gradually roll the throttle forward. Haven't tried it in years on a ski because it never worked out, but I would think the boat would have be be more aggressive following the same concept for a wakeboard.

We do dock starts on a foil all the time, especially in the winter. Only one I've ever seen get messed up that bad was when we had some idiot driver.... we thought he did it on purpose.

On 8/26/2016 at 11:57 AM, oldjeep said:

Looked better than the dozens of times over the years that I tried to go off a dock on a kneeboard.  Never worked, not even once ;)

With a kneeboard, placing a towel underneath helps.  I was successful once off the end on my diving board (3ft off the water) using the towel method, strap REALLY tight.  I submarined a bit but then popped out!;)

Dock starts are just a glorified deep up. No such thing as a slow dock start. :)

Problem with most hop dock starts, is people jump instead of just stepping out. And looking down. :)

When I was young we used to do two ski hop docks. Now that is fun.

3 minutes ago, footndale said:

Dock starts are just a glorified deep up. No such thing as a slow dock start. :)

Problem with most hop dock starts, is people jump instead of just stepping out. And looking down. :)

When I was young we used to do two ski hop docks. Now that is fun.

...and extending their arms out.  Gotta have that handle at your hip and holding it tight.

"Two ski bailouts" is on my agenda next year, where you are on two skis then jump out of them to barefoot.  I think I can, I think I can...

Our ski ramp jumpers start on the carpeted dock with skis on, slide right off (2 ft drop) and onto the water.  I'm gonna nail that too!

On 8/26/2016 at 4:27 PM, Malibuzer said:

And I would expect no less from camo board shorts! :)

3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

...and extending their arms out.  Gotta have that handle at your hip and holding it tight.

"Two ski bailouts" is on my agenda next year, where you are on two skis then jump out of them to barefoot.  I think I can, I think I can...

Our ski ramp jumpers start on the carpeted dock with skis on, slide right off (2 ft drop) and onto the water.  I'm gonna nail that too!

I hope you don't like your shoulders. :) Bomb outs do suck.

Jump start on the docks are easy, unless the carpet is dry. Then they can be tricky. :)

It was hilarious!  He was mouthing off quite a bit.  After so many warnings about much rope to take, how much throttle is needed etc, etc, I just decided to show him how fast that Monsoon will get that boat moving.  He has never lived it down.

As far as the rope goes.  He is one of those guys that gets all pissed off when you warn him about it.  Its the old "I have been around boats my whole life" .  Blah Blah Blah! 

He has his own boat now and had someone get dragged under by a rope a few weeks ago.  His 11 year old was pulling himself in up the rope on a kneeboard and fell off getting the rope wrapped around his leg.  Scared the heck out of both parents and the kid behind the boat.  I would bet the importance of rope safety has sunk in now.  I'm just glad it was a leg, not a hand, finger or neck. 

We still dock start lots on the skinny ski in the spring and fall. But you sure don't take 12 feet of slack! 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, footndale said:

I quit listening to the "I've done it before" guys (it's almost always guys, well except for my stubborn daughter) a long time ago.  Everyone gets instructions.

Now getting some people to not look down... that's a tough one.  Doesn't matter if it's skis, surf board or anything else.  They gotta see what their feet are doing.  Unfortunately: Look there - go there!

• Like 2