Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone put back up lights on your trailer?

malibuskier2003

I guessing 60-70% of my launching is done at night.  I'm kicking around ideas to light up the ramp better and one of my thoughts was two lights on the back of the boat trailer tied into the reverse lights.  Is this a viable idea or a lame a** solution?  Thoughts?

Dave

When i reworked my trailer to a tandem axle and rewired and painted everything i added a set of LED lights just underneath the taillights.  they are the same lights i have mounted under my truck and denali for extra backup lighting as well.  needless to say i can light almost anything i need to up with those.  They also show up well even when under 3 feet of muddy water in the river...  i'll try to get a picture of them... 

that's the only pick i have on file, i can get better ones if you're interested

IMG_20140504_162904_685.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My Boatmate did not come with backup lights.  I looked into adding some but found it easier to add the light into the parking spot instead.  The new trailer has backup lights.  They are VERY nice to have.  For me, I wanted light when putting it back in storage.  If launching at night on an unlit boat ramp, I would definitely add reverse lights to the trailer.

I put the round trailer lights on top of the guide poles.  It makes it even easier in the dark to back with them as a point of reference for the trailer. They are the generic round set and I got them from Bass Pro. They slid right on to the metal poles and I drilled a hole and put a set screw into the leading edge of the pole and light so it wouldn't spin or scuff up the boat if bumped. I tapped into the running lights so they automatically come on with the rest of the trailer lights at night or I can turn them on with my fog lights ('12 Tahoe) in the day time oddly enough.