Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trade 05 Wakesetter for Response

rpsmithii

So I have a VLX waksetter just over 1 year old with 110 hours on it. It's a great boat, except...after 1 year I average just 1 or 2 other folks on it at a time and I only go out for about 2 hours at a time max. I dry stack so I pay by the foot in each diminsion and I also trailer the boat from time to time. Also, I mostly wakeboard with the wedge only and fill a tank to balance out the driver as necessary only. I'm 45 and very satisfied with the wake produced under these circumstances. If I want to get extreeme, I have a few friends with wakesetters who love to fill it up...also like the illusion tower but I like the idea of a titan tower that I can use swing in wakeboard rackas on and fold down easier.

Anyway - to save gas, weight, size (for drystack costs) - would I be really dissappointed with a Resonse fitted with a a titan tower and wedge?

Thanks for any insights - even if you are thinking I'm crazy!

Thanks.

So I have a VLX waksetter just over 1 year old with 110 hours on it. It's a great boat, except...after 1 year I average just 1 or 2 other folks on it at a time and I only go out for about 2 hours at a time max. I dry stack so I pay by the foot in each diminsion and I also trailer the boat from time to time. Also, I mostly wakeboard with the wedge only and fill a tank to balance out the driver as necessary only. I'm 45 and very satisfied with the wake produced under these circumstances. If I want to get extreeme, I have a few friends with wakesetters who love to fill it up...also like the illusion tower but I like the idea of a titan tower that I can use swing in wakeboard rackas on and fold down easier.

Anyway - to save gas, weight, size (for drystack costs) - would I be really dissappointed with a Resonse fitted with a a titan tower and wedge?

Thanks for any insights - even if you are thinking I'm crazy!

Thanks.

You might, in fact if you like the stock wake on the VLX with just the wedge I'd go so far as to say that you most probably will be disappointed. Have you considered the new VTX? It's the new 20' vdrive that is out this year, available both on the wake & ski hulls. Just a thought.

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!

A Dark Side boy thinking of buying a single stick boy ride?

'Put on a clown suit, jump into an aquarium, sing 'Hit me with your best shot' by Pat Benetar - backwards. That would make more sense...' then what you are thinking of doing.

Step away from the keyboard and go and enjoy that VLX my boy.

He's just looking for a smaller boat because of dry stack, nothing wrong with that. Up until now, Malibu didn't offer anything that was too much smaller in a vdrive configuration, but that changes with the VTX. The Vride I suppose should be considered as well if you pay based on length & beam. The beam on the VTX is 98", making it 20' long by 98" wide, while the Vride is 21' long by 93" wide.

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!

A Dark Side boy thinking of buying a single stick boy ride?

'Put on a clown suit, jump into an aquarium, sing 'Hit me with your best shot' by Pat Benetar - backwards. That would make more sense...' then what you are thinking of doing.

Step away from the keyboard and go and enjoy that VLX my boy.

Finally someone is talking some sense... Yahoo.gif

I'd recon the money he loses on the trade would support the extra gas and storage fees for a few years.

Don't do it. Once the new and shiny wears off you'll be right back here asking about trading up to a wakesetter again,

I'd recon the money he loses on the trade would support the extra gas and storage fees for a few years.

Don't do it. Once the new and shiny wears off you'll be right back here asking about trading up to a wakesetter again,

That crossed my mind as well. I don't know much about dry stack though, so I could be off base with that assumption.

If dry stack is what I think it is, I always wondered about trusting my investment to a minimum wage forklift driver with a hangover and sleep deprivation. :(

If dry stack is what I think it is, I always wondered about trusting my investment to a minimum wage forklift driver with a hangover and sleep deprivation. :(

True. But if they drop your boat. Then they get to buy you a new boat. You don't have to use your own insurance for stuff like that.

Oh don't worry, boats Hardly Ever fall off those fork lifts. But of course when putting them in their slot the drivers drive by braille. Crazy.gif

True. But if they drop your boat. Then they get to buy you a new boat. You don't have to use your own insurance for stuff like that.

True, but you're still without a boat for the season.

Oh don't worry, boats Hardly Ever fall off those fork lifts. But of course when putting them in their slot the drivers drive by braille. Crazy.gif

Very true. Anyone who has run a forklift knows that when you are putting something like that up high, you are putting it in it's spot blind.

The funny part about the dry storage is the term is only partially correct. Dry as in your boat is out of water and under a roof - but unless it's on the top bunk what happens when they put a boat that was just taken out of the water in the slot above you? Or better yet what happens when the boat above you has a leaky I/O and drive fluid drips off his lower unit into your boat?

stop making him paranoid, if your thinking about a response sized boat, pick up a sporty and put a tower and wedge on it, it will be a better wakeboard boat then a response. And of course, solve the answer for yourself by going to your dealer and driving and boarding behind one. I think you'd be able to sell that 05 VLX for 45-50k next spring, and a used or even new response would be well under that.

my rlxi with wedge down produces a decent wakeboard wake. my buddy landed his first tantrum on my boat and not his wakesetter. i think too many people blame wakes for their lack of ability. trick skiers gett much more air behind hard core ski boats off the pylon than i see most yahoo's on these huge waveboats.