Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Miss Fire in Number 7

I have a 2010 Malibu LSV 23 that had a new engine installed at dealer March of this year. They kept the boat for over a month due to a miss fire in number 7 that they could not resolve. Eventually they called me and stated they had it resolved by flashing the ECU and letting relearn. Boat was release to me and I started in my break-in procedure. On the 3rd day the boat went back into limp mode with service engine light one. Called dealer, went through engine diagnostics that there was no overheating or oil pressure issues... turned batteries off then back on (reset code on ECU).. Boat operated fine till next weekend... then repeat above... it seemed to be about every 3 hours that this would occur... Then after break-in was complete, I started adding ballast for wakeboarding... same issue as above (~3hrs then reset).. started adding more ballast for surfing and still same issue... Now, some days it goes off till I remove some ballast from boat.. or works just fine with full ballast... 

Yes the boat is back at the dealer.. but that have no idea of what is causing this... 

Has anyone else experienced the above or have an idea of what is going on?

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Can I assume that you already replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor?  If it isn't any of that then it could be the crank or cam position sensors.

Dealer told me that they replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, and coil. I also asked them if they swapped the # 7 injector with a different one to see if misfire jumps to swapped cylinder... I will ask if they replaced the crank or cam sensors...

From previous experience on the crank position sensor, It went out in my Jeep... and would not start at all :(

An update on issue... Previous engine was replaced due to hydro locking it. Ballast bag fitting failed and was not seen and the auto bilge did not turn on which is what caused the hydro lock. 

Just now, kerpluxal said:

An update on issue... Previous engine was replaced due to hydro locking it. Ballast bag fitting failed and was not seen and the auto bilge did not turn on which is what caused the hydro lock. 

huh? And then the boat filled all the way up to the air filter?  I think someone is screwing with you.

6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

huh? And then the boat filled all the way up to the air filter?  I think someone is screwing with you.

There was a lot of water in boat... before the insurance claim, I checked oil and it was full of water (chocolate shake). The boat was under power and full ballast when the hydro lock happened. when not under power (sitting in water) the water was up to the stringers. I am certain that while boat was under power and nose was up, that it is very plausible that water was ingested (air filter is low by crank pulley). Dealership said that cylinders had water in them and evidence (wet air filter) that water was pulled in from intake.

Edited by kerpluxal
Just now, kerpluxal said:

DSC01776.jpg

Um, that air filter faces the front of the boat.  Crank pulley is in the back of the boat.  There is no way that water got high enough to suck in that filter unless there was water half way up your back seat

Edited by oldjeep
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Um, that air filter faces the front of the boat.  Crank pulley is in the back of the boat.  There is no way that water got high enough to suck in that filter unless there was water half way up your back seat

with nose up, i could see that happening with no evidence on floors, all the water under floor would move back while boat is underway.. the indicator that I first received was low voltage (alternator was under water and causing a short). then boat filled with smoke. shut it down and thought I had an electrical fire.. Opened rear hatch and saw water in bilge... then the cursing began :(... also noticed the starboard bag half empty that was once full (1100 bag). that would equate to ~60 gallons of water in bilge :(

Edited by kerpluxal