Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Ballast hoses

jdbomber

I have a 2010 23 LSV and recently noticed the corrugated hoses are starting to weaken and crack at the clamps. Before I fail on the water, I would like replace them with a more durable material to last longer.

My question is: "Do I need to pull the entire interior out to replace these hoses or is there a certain area that would access the hoses easier to do so?"

Thanks in advance

The flat part has cracked and the hose does not have enough slack to reach the next flat portion to clamp. If I clamp on the corrugated section the hose will surely fail. The hoses are the cheap plastic ones so I'm replacing them with the more rigid, rubber kind.

Just now, jdbomber said:

The flat part has cracked and the hose does not have enough slack to reach the next flat portion to clamp. If I clamp on the corrugated section the hose will surely fail. The hoses are the cheap plastic ones so I'm replacing them with the more rigid, rubber kind.

Are we talking about bilge pump hose or ballast hose?  Certainly your ballast hose isn't the 3/4" corrugated plastic stuff like the bilge pump uses that you can buy at Lowes...?  Assuming it's just dry rotted regular ballast hose (mine were like that when I removed my rear tanks) why not just cut it back to good hose, install a coupling and a short section of new hose to the tank or  put a new long section on the coupling and pull new hose through using your old hose as a pull string.  

Well it's the vent lines from the tanks, not necessarily the discharge hose but it is on the ballast system. I had a small leak I noticed when I opened the access floor panel. I can only assume the actual suction and discharge hoses are of better quality.

You are right, I should of said the overflow vent lines.

My MB is like that, has nice black 1" hose for fill/drain then these cheap 3/4 corrugated hose for vents.  If you have an ace hardware close by they sell a clear 3/4 hose that works great and all the couplings or Y fitting or whatever you need are in the sprinkler /irrigation isle