Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone buy a used boat from Skiers Pier recently?

That Guy

Interested in a boat they have listed and looking for any input from people with experience with them. 

Thanks

Edited by That Guy

I went to a open house there when I was looking last year, talked with sales ,went for some rides and what I left with was, go somewhere else. I went to Tommys at  Walloon lake and couldn't be happier

Edited by nitrous1

Hat to say it but Hit and Miss IMHO.  Would you be using them for after sales work?  With that said I have not worked with them for some time now!  Also have everything promised done or in, on the boat before you pull it off the lot!

We bought there in December of last year. Was not overly impressed with Kyle, the sales guy. Wasn't real knowledgeable before the sale. Didn't want to include a surfboard in the sale.. which is a little ridiculous in my mind on a 95k boat with no financing.. The owner of the place, Joe, said he would throw it in. Maybe Kyle doesn't have the ability to, I don't know. We later found out that he did not transfer the warranty as he said he would when we called for warranty work (bought it used). Luckily Malibu worked with us and got it transferred even though we were out of the time frame. Took him 3 months to send the bimini that was included in the sale because they didn't have one at the time we bought it (previous owner didn't order one).

However, I do believe we got a very good deal. Feel free to pm me if you want to know the numbers.

I guess I was just less than impressed on their customer service for toys costing this much...

• Like 2

Alright then!  Thanks for the input everyone, yet another reason why I love this forum.  I live far enough away that it would simply be a purchase from them but between the posts here and PM's I've received I'm not sure it's worth the 250-300 mile trip for me to check out the boat.

I had a great experience. After 30 + years of sales experience, I can be hyper sensitive to a bad job. From walking in Skiers Pier to our delivery. It went very smooth. We had a couple issues once we used the boat a bit, they sent out their guys at the 1st opportunity. This past week, my 15 LSV had the notorious dash display issues start happening. I stopped by Skiers Pier today to schedule a warranty trip, they asked if tomorrow was too long to wait. To me, that's exceptional service. I also asked about a bimini. They said CS had production issues with Malibu directly and it could be a 3 month wait. I called CS directly, and they said they same thing. They did say that it was a last minute design change and they would be back to normal wait times soon. This is only my experience and I'm certainly not discounting anyone else's. For reference, I worked with Joe directly.

When we talked to Joe, that's when things got done and his service was great. It was frustrating how we had to by pass the sales guy and go to the owner, though. 

I purchased a 2 year old boat from them this past January. I would buy from them again if the conditions were right, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them if you have other options. I live in Wisconsin and was willing to make the 12 HR round trip due to the price and features (only about 10 boats nation wide matched my criteria).

I too worked with Kyle as the sales rep and my major complaint is that despite having 2 weeks advance notice, the boat was not in show condition when I arrived. The boat had been winterized, but the interior carpet/seats/storage areas were wet, which is IMHO is an unacceptable condition for late January. The boat should never have been put into storage wet and at a minimum they should have dried it out before I arrived to purchase and drive it away. They did reduce the price to offset the cost of having it detailed back in Wisconsin. 

Instead of seeing the boat and being totally jacked (first boat purchase) I was left with doubt and concern. Did I pick the wrong boat, do I need to be worried about mold, if this is how they winterized the boat what else do I have to worry about? Ultimately price and availability won out. 

Would I buy from them again, yes, but it would have to be a similar situation with price/availability. 

FWIW I didn't have the warranty transferred but Skiers Pier had agreed to take care any immediate issues that came up. I had a wiring harness issue that my local dealer had to fix and Skiers Pier followed through and reimbursed me for the local expense. 

• Like 1

I was shopping for a used ski boat about a month ago and stopped by skiers pier.  They had several boats to chose from but not a single one had been prepped or detailed or cleaned for sale.   I bought my 13 lsv from them and had some issues with service.  Long story.  Ended up buying my 15 from tommy's.  I would look private party... Just my 2 cents.  

2 minutes ago, powderjay said:

I was shopping for a used ski boat about a month ago and stopped by skiers pier.  They had several boats to chose from but not a single one had been prepped or detailed or cleaned for sale.   I bought my 13 lsv from them and had some issues with service.  Long story.  Ended up buying my 15 from tommy's.  I would look private party... Just my 2 cents.  

Fwiw when I bought a used boat from @UpperleftWake (AWS) and had it shipped they detailed it post sale I think. I don't know what the industry standard is but it would be strange if they were all noticeably dirty. 

I too have heard good things about Walloon lake tommys. My local tommys in Grand Rapids has been great for me on parts but had a strange policy on not helping people out when they were stuck on the water. Which makes me pause about buying an LSV from them in the future. @edge was always great about that. @tvano did like skiers pier in a pinch. It's really amazing how all the dealers vary. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Bought a used boat last august 2015. The promised repairs took fooooooooorever. The repairs were done poorly. Seem like good people that just does not get the job done.

I would recommend anywhere but skiers pier for service.