Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

question for all you big stereo people??

Ottomatic

So I bought a 16 lsv at the beginning of the summer and quickly found out the factory setup sucks, not just Alittle but a lot. So I decided it was time to upgrade a few things and am running into some issues.

First I had my dealer install a wetsounds 420 eq I have had one before and love it. When the volume is turned down there is a slight hiss coming from all the speakers, is this usually a ground issues???

second issues seems to be a bigger issue. We decided to install a power series Rockford 12 In a sealed custom encloser with a 1000 watt power amp and it looks and sounds awesome, the issue I am have is 2 things. First when the stereo is playing loud my volts are all over the place when the sub hits my volts drop from 12.9 all the way to 10.5 and then go back up its very quick but worries me. Second is after a few songs when the sub hits my big screen blinks really quick it does not go off it just goes from bright to not so bright and then back again. My dealer noticed this after they installed the system and thought I had a bad altornator and replaced it. They thought they had it fixed but it's still happening. Any ideas would be great!!

Take it to a reputable Marine Audio dealer, they tend to do more radio hands on then a manufacturer/mechanic dealer. Sounds like terrible voltage sag that's common with added product without the power supply... 

1 hour ago, Ottomatic said:

there is a slight hiss coming from all the speakers, is this usually a ground issues??

Nope, it can easily be a B+ issue among other things. 

1 hour ago, Ottomatic said:

First when the stereo is playing loud my volts are all over the place when the sub hits my volts drop from 12.9 all the way to 10.5 and then go back up its very quick but worries me

Im guessing this is with the engine off? I bet your boat has two group-24 cranking batteries. I would recommend a larger deep-cycle on one of the banks. This will give you more reserve for playing with the engine off. I would also confirm that all the amps are wired to the correct location. 

1 hour ago, Truekaotik said:

Take it to a reputable Marine Audio dealer, they tend to do more radio hands on then a manufacturer/mechanic dealer. Sounds like terrible voltage sag that's common with added product without the power supply... 

When you say without power supply are referring to adding batteries. We change out the stock batteries for deep cycle batteries??

1 hour ago, Truekaotik said:

Unfortunately the KC area lacks good marine audio dealers. There are several good car audio dealers but none of them have worked on newer malibus before.

17 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Did you call the guys below?  I think they did a system for another member here.  Maybe it was @SSinister06?  You are right in that I don't know of a true marine audio place here, but maybe they can help.  

http://www.hhaudiokc.com/

I have actually used them before. Did a system on my sons car. Super good guys but I was Alittle concerned that they never worked on a new Malibu. These things get finicky when you start adding stuff to them and I wanted someone who understand malibus. Maybe I will give them a call and see what they say.

I believe it was jsmail that had his boat done at h&h. I had chili's soundwaves down in Branson do mine, I ordered stereo delete but he does a ton of malibus and knocks them out of the park.

9 hours ago, Ottomatic said:

When you say without power supply are referring to adding batteries. We change out the stock batteries for deep cycle batteries??

Unfortunately the KC area lacks good marine audio dealers. There are several good car audio dealers but none of them have worked on newer malibus before.

Yes, you need to add atleast a group 29 or 31 for the stereo bank. I always recommend two group 27's with a high powered multi amp set up... But a single big deep cycle will help with some draw to start. It can be one or a couple of things that would cause your issues. BUT I would also check all the wiring because adding a sub amp isn't that cut and dry... 

I know it's hard to find a true Marine shop, but when you do, you will never touch your boat stereo again except to turn it up and down.. If they do several different boats a year that's a good start to go and talk to them. See if they make you feel like they will hammer out your issues. I wouldn't hesitate to drive several hours to get my new boat to someone in the actual Marine Audio field...

Edited by Truekaotik
17 hours ago, Ottomatic said:

So I bought a 16 lsv at the beginning of the summer and quickly found out the factory setup sucks, not just Alittle but a lot. So I decided it was time to upgrade a few things and am running into some issues.

First I had my dealer install a wetsounds 420 eq I have had one before and love it. When the volume is turned down there is a slight hiss coming from all the speakers, is this usually a ground issues???

second issues seems to be a bigger issue. We decided to install a power series Rockford 12 In a sealed custom encloser with a 1000 watt power amp and it looks and sounds awesome, the issue I am have is 2 things. First when the stereo is playing loud my volts are all over the place when the sub hits my volts drop from 12.9 all the way to 10.5 and then go back up its very quick but worries me. Second is after a few songs when the sub hits my big screen blinks really quick it does not go off it just goes from bright to not so bright and then back again. My dealer noticed this after they installed the system and thought I had a bad altornator and replaced it. They thought they had it fixed but it's still happening. Any ideas would be great!!

The part about the alternator is a concern. With the engine running at a decent rpm, you should have a little higher voltage than 12.9 volts before big bass intermittently sags the voltage. This would indicate to me that the stereo battery (which is presently too small) was already discharged to a fair degree. For clarity you should confirm this was 'with' the engine running.

Low voltage can manifest from a variety of causes. 

When you seriously upgrade an automobile audio system with big power, you sometimes have to fortify the alternator to battery ground, the alternator to battery supply, etc. While a marine audio system definitely has differences, a really good car audio dealer already has a grasp of voltage and supply. Sometimes it's the cable capacity and sometimes it's the quality of terminations. All pretty much measurable issues for a good mobile audio dealer.

8 hours ago, David said:

The part about the alternator is a concern. With the engine running at a decent rpm, you should have a little higher voltage than 12.9 volts before big bass intermittently sags the voltage. This would indicate to me that the stereo battery (which is presently too small) was already discharged to a fair degree. For clarity you should confirm this was 'with' the engine running.

Low voltage can manifest from a variety of causes. 

When you seriously upgrade an automobile audio system with big power, you sometimes have to fortify the alternator to battery ground, the alternator to battery supply, etc. While a marine audio system definitely has differences, a really good car audio dealer already has a grasp of voltage and supply. Sometimes it's the cable capacity and sometimes it's the quality of terminations. All pretty much measurable issues for a good mobile audio dealer.

A note on the voltage. My boat before the stereo while running would only get to about 12.9, and when off was 11.4-11.5. There have been several members running into this problem on 16s and we believe it's reading the voltage Alittle low.

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

I have on my to do list to check voltage at the alternator as my dash reads low too.  As Otto said, it seems to be pretty common on the 2016's.  

Are you having this issue as well?? What volts does your screen read???

Yes, same issue here.  This shot also shows the only issue I have had with the screen - twice now when switching from media to the ballast screen the media controls stay in the background.  The only way to clear that has been turning off the batteries.  All functions still work on the screen when it happens.  

3B3A2012-B350-44EB-A7F3-4EB273DFF3E1_zps

9 minutes ago, Ottomatic said:

It is not a class D amp. It's a ab

Class AB, at a lower load impedance, using any bass boost or bass EQ, the wrong LP crossover selection, plus other set-up and tuning elements could totally sink your system efficiency and draw an inordinate amount of power.

It's a Rockford fosgate punch p1000x2 bridged to a Rockford t1D412. I don't know a ton about stereos but this is what they recommended.

Edited by Ottomatic

Based on that, you've got a woofer bridged on a 2 chnl amp that might be wired at too low of an impedance. Wired in parallel you would have a 2 ohm load bridged. Thats too low for the amp. Wired in series, youve got an 8 ohm load. Thats safe, but only half the wattage. You need to swap one or the other. The woofer would be the easier to swap, however, that doesnt help a voltage issue with a 1K watt rms class-a/b bridged with both chnls @ 2 ohm. So, you likely need to change amps to something like the T1000-1bdCP. Its a class-d and 1000W rms @ 2 ohm, which matches the woofer.

Edited by MLA